"Diss" to Cathe: WTF?

lcobb2

Cathlete
Objective folks please respond:

I know I "live" in "I Love Cathe Land", but how the heck can anyone 'diss' Cathe?????????? I went to another forum (to remain nameless) and some posters actually think that Cathe is a little arrogant in her DVDs!!! I just don't get it???!!!?? As if she is, "being arrogant about trying to lift/do/step/box (whatever) like she is? I always think that Cathe is just being real and doing what she does.

Please, don't just respond with, "Well, that's where they are at..."

or

"They just don't get it."

I really just want to understand. From everything I've read, Cathe is the most down-to-earth person (f2f) and she's just being real. I LOVE her, and I've never even met her. She really does seem like she's just being real. Is it just that these people can't do what she's doing so they feel intimiated??? I'm almost 7 months preggo and I still love her workouts!!!

Help me "be" where these people are. Again, non-biased responses appreciated. Thanks!

Well, I'm not objective but here's my response: I don't know how on earth anyone could diss Cathe. Many of us have met her more than once & I'm sure not a single one of us would have a bad word to say about her. She's just the nicest darned person in the world. She's gracious, sweet, patient & she genuinely cares about her fans. I mean, she really does care about all of us. Arrogance? I cannot even imagine!

I think whoever would say such a thing is just plain jealous, or doesn't like her w/os b/c they're too tough for them. ;)

Wow now THAT is interesting. Although I have never had the opportunity to meet Cathe and like Laura I'm hardly an unbiased opinion Cathe seems like the most down to earth home DVD instructor there is. He form is right on, her cueing is very encouraging, and she is just fun and enjoyable to watch. I mean there are SOME instructors (some that are favorites of people here) that I find extremely arrogant. Cathe just seems like one of those persons who has the fortunate ability to do what she loves and be really good at it. Dang it, . . . there is criticism and constructive criticism and I just wish that people would just stick to the good old fashion moto of "If you don't have anything nice to say you shouldn't say it at all."

Dang it, . . . there is criticism and constructive criticism and I just wish that people would just stick to the good old fashion moto of "If you don't have anything nice to say you shouldn't say it at all."

Love you!!!!!!

I really really don't get any hint of arrogance in Cathe. Maybe they are jealous because of her fitness empire, her six pack abs, and her ability to kick the ass of anyone who happens to come along? I know she can be a little corny, but that just makes her funny!

Laura,

Did you post this question on that forum? Perhaps that poster could then explain his or her reasonings behind that thought.

Frankly, if the other forum was VF, then good luck trying to understand why they think that way. I have no idea why anyone would think for a second that Cathe was arrogant or anything other than wonderful.

At first I hated the workouts...my story (a bit long sorry)

The first video I tried was Interval Max (VHS tape). I could not get through it. I must admit: I was PISSED OFF and I hated this "Cathe lady" for making such a ridiculously hard workout that no one could ever possibly do. After all, I had mastered all the Firm workouts; I was in good shape or so I thought anyway. That was in 2004.

5 years later and here I am a "Catheite" on the forum site. Check out my profile and see all of the DVDs and videos I bought since 2004. Who would have thought that would have happened? I hated that first workout! One of the best decisions I have ever made is when I decided I was not going to quit Interval Max. Nope, I was going to master that workout if it killed me. (And I think it almost did a few times lol.) I knew I had beat it when I was able to complete the whole video including the plio lunges part.

Not only did I learn that video, I fell in love with the challenge and how I felt after completeing the workout. The Firm videos were now "easy" and a Cathlete was born. I saved up and began adding to my collection here and there. The workouts were addicting. I converted a my living room in my apartment into a workout room. I invested in equipment. The poundage on my dumbbells went up and up. I jumped higher and higher and flew over the step farther and faster than ever before!

I have enjoyed learning all of her step workouts. My only issue ever is that I am not too coordinated. So, I would trip over the step while practicing the combos and even have kicked my step or jumped on it really hard a few times in frustration. Sometimes the camera would miss showing her footwork and I would have no idea what she was doing. (That would require me to curse and rewind the video and play it in Slo-Mo.) I had a heck of a time learning 4DS step and I was mad at that too. But, I kept at it and refused to give up. I guess I am stubborn, but it was worth the aggravation.

I am now a proud STSer. I am doing my 1 RMs and I am savoring the experience. I can't wait until I get my 1 RMs done, but I also don't want the excitement to end either.

I have been to a Road Trip (2007), but I have never thought she was arrogant. I am thinking back to the beginning when I was mad at the Interval Max workout. No, if anything, I was the arrogant one who was humbled by a challenging workout.

Some people confuse "arrogance" with "confidence" and "knowlegde" I'd says Cathe is confident and knowledgable about what she does, but I wouldn't say she's arrogant. To me arrogant means you're talking out your a$$ trying to sound like you are the best ever and know what you're doing when you don't. I hardly think that applies to Cathe. I've never met her (sigh) but she comes off to me as knowing what she's doing and presenting the info in a way we can all understand. I also read a post on another board where someone called her "condescending" I don't get that vibe from her, either. She always comes across and warm and sincere. And if you read the posts she writes, they sound just like the way she talks on her dvds. Same vibe. Someone just doesn't like her. But, not every instructor will jive with everyone. But, arrogant - no!

Nan

It's obvious they have never met her!! Like Laura said she is such a sweet person. I have only met her once & I could not get my tongue to function in her prescence she was very very friendly & kind to everyone of us!

Arrogant people do not spend hours helping other people. She spends a lot of time on this forum helping anyone that asks for it.
I have to admit, it bothers me when I read personal attacks about any of my instructors. I spend hours with them so I feel a connection. When I read personal attacks about them, it stings like a bee.

I am curious what forum??? I read a few of the forums and I haven't seen anything negative about STS. At least from the people who actually own the workout.

To each their own, right? We'll never get into the heads of some people, and unfortunately, there will always be those individuals who don't like an instructor for whatever reason. I just shrug my shoulders & consider it their loss.

It might not really be Cathe that turned this person off, but more the "over zealous" Cathe fan who can't stand it when anything less than positive is said about her (even if it is constructive criticism). Maybe they've just transferred the ill fellings to Cathe.

I agree, I've met her, she's very genuine. But some of her fans . . . completely OVER THE TOP (and that's okay with me, but it might be too much for someone else).

Arrogant...that's not the word at all I would describe. Actually, part of the reason I got so hooked onto Cathe was because her style and demeanor didn't annoy the crap out of me at all but instead made me want to try harder. Someone already mentioned this, I think some people may have grabbed something totally out of his/her range and they couldn't stand Cathe smiling or something while they were dying in their living rooms. DH and I have a joke about "Cathe is MOCKING US!" when Cathe makes a joke about how hard something is but we like that! Maybe it just rubs off the wrong way with other people.

What is VF?

What is VF - you can PM me if you don't want to post it in a forum. I was just curious!

Frankly, if the other forum was VF, then good luck trying to understand why they think that way. I have no idea why anyone would think for a second that Cathe was arrogant or anything other than wonderful.

. DH and I have a joke about "Cathe is MOCKING US!" when Cathe makes a joke about how hard something is but we like that! Maybe it just rubs off the wrong way with other people.

My husband was joking about the smiling in disc 26 plyo....HOLY Smokes that is a tough workout! You know you are in trouble when you can hear Cathe trying to catch her breath. How can you smile through so much pain???:eek::eek::eek:
Sometimes during the workout I catch myself talking to Cathe. "Are you crazy?" is what I say most of the time:D

It might not really be Cathe that turned this person off, but more the "over zealous" Cathe fan who can't stand it when anything less than positive is said about her (even if it is constructive criticism). Maybe they've just transferred the ill fellings to Cathe.

i can agree with this, actually on another forum i belong to its what causes most fights. not just cathe either but a few other instructors. i just try not to get involved anymore b/c really if they are not coming from it in an exercise point of view then i don't care anymore b/c it gets pointless in trying to talk sense into the senseless sometimes. i personally adore cathe as well as other instructors so i keep on keeping on with my thing.

kassia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.