Disney World Question

Nancy, don't go, my sister! Stay away from the Mouse! I say this as a Californian, who has made numerous trips to Disney Land, both before children and after. The last time we went was 3 years ago, when our boys were 12,10 & 7. It was very fun for the kids and for that reason, it was worth it. However, it was not relaxing in the least. Disney World is Disney Land with a lot more humidity. Who cares if there is Epcot and more "stuff" to see?! It's a drudge, IMO.
Sitting poolside, tropical breezes gently blowing, on a chaise lounge, with a good book and a "big salad," now that's a vacation!

Sarah ;-)

I think it is positively magical and makes me remember what it was like to be a kid and full of wonder. I don't really think it is dated since they are constantly getting rid of old rides and making new ones. You can also just relax by one of their wonderful pools and they have some great spas as well. Believe it or not, the restaraunts (California Grill, Flying Fish, Artist's Point, etc.) are really good. The resorts are really nice as well. There is PLENTY to do even if you never set foot in the parks. EPCOT is really neat, especially the countries. I love them all...Animal Kingdom, MGM, and hold a special place in my heart for the Magic Kingdom.

I also love watching the kids experience it. They are so fun to watch.

You could be jaded there but you could also let yourself be a kid and look at it through kid's eyes. I just don't think you can be unhappy when you are at Disney...it is magical.

I just choose to look at it like that.

Yes, food is expensive but you can bring your own food in. Also, ever since Michael Eisner suffered a heart attack, he made sure there were lots of healthy choices in the parks.

Anyway, I totally understand what others are saying, but I say at least go once. You won't know if you like it or hate it until you go.

I grew up in Florida and went at least twice a year since I was two years old. My dad and I both have ownership in the Disney Vacation Club. It's great!

That said, DF has thus far refused to go. He also won't watch any cartoon (Shrek, Nemo) unless it's South Park. I am going to break him, though. I think everyone should go at least once...with or without kids (I don't have any).

JMHO

I agree with Shelly Go, Go, Go!! I've been to Disney three times (all as an adult) twice with just my husband and once with the kids. There are so many options, you really need to do research. They have many books about Disney, quite a few are for Disney w/o the kids. If you are on the fence about it, check out your local library, you may be amazed at how many things there are to do for adults. FYI - we went last year with the kids and purchased a meal plan (through Disney). It cost us about $100.00 per day for the plan for all five of us. It included 5 dinner meals (sit-down with appetizer, dessert, meal, drink) 5 lunch meals (counter service) and 5 snacks per day, gratutity included. We kept our receipts from our meals and we easily spent $150 - 200 or more per day. I can honestly say we wouldn't have spent that much on food but we would not have ate at all the nice places we did eat at. Some people don't like the idea(too much food) but I like the idea of going on vacation and not having to worry about how much money is in my wallet to eat. Epcot was the best for us, trying new food and drinks at different countries was fun. And all that walking makes for great exercise!

Good Luck, and have fun! (wherever you go)

Diane

Diane-the meal plan sounds great! You know, I always eat tons more when I'm there and WAY too much candy and crap and I always end up losing weight. I think you are right, it's all the walking.

I LOVED the meal plan! It was a "no-brainer" It didn't matter whether the price on the menu was $14(chicken)or $25(steak and shrimp), it is the same on the meal package. We went to three Charater Dining events and the kids had a blast! At one, Mickey and Chip and Dale had a food fight at our table. The kids still talk about it like it was yesterday. If it wasn't included in the dining package, I may have done one (they were about $22 per adult and $12 per kid, not cheap). It may sound odd but I get stressed out about food - "you can't order that... you have to share... no more ice cream..." on vacation!! What fun is that?! But when it is already taken care of and all you have to do is show a card it was wonderful! I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Diane

Tha would definitely be something to look into next time I go. One question, is it just for families or could DF and I do it alone?

Nanc, sorry to hijack your thread! :)

Lorie,

As far as I know anyone can do it. I personally don't know of any restrictions. Go to Disney Vacations web site and just start planning. I planned our trip last year online. I booked our room, park tickets, meal plan and they have this thing called something like Magic Transportation (they pick up you luggage from the airport and bring it straight to your room, no waiting at the luggage pick-up and dragging it to the bus). Basically you just check the boxes you want and they give you a price. It was very simple. Last year during late August and September they were giving the meal plan for FREE! You could eat for FREE!! Check it out! I think you can save your booking w/o a deposit for a few days so it was easy to browse.

Hope this helps!

Diane

I just got back from Disney World on Saturday. I love going. Our daughter is 20 and the 3 of us go about every other year. I would not recommend going during the summer. This trip was way too hot and Magic Kingdom was so crowded the the lines were 1hr + on the attractions we like. The new roller coaster at Animal Kingdom, Expedition Everest, was a blast. I've never stayed in a Disney Property Hotel, but we always get the park Hopper tickets so we can go to more than 1 park on any given day. Since we have been several times, we just pick out the rides we want to enjoy than jumped over to another park and ride the ones over there that we like.

Jean

I just got back from DisneyLand (California) on Friday. It was awesome! I would recommend going to Disney, but DW can be way more crowded and overwhelming than DL (JMO).

I have heard wonderful things about Discovery Cove in FL. It is interactions with dolphins and such. The price is higher for one day, but it includes all of your food (including beer, if you'd like) for the day. The in-the-water interactions are not to be missed (according to a friend). I am going to go sometime in the future...just thought I'd throw it out there. www.discoverycove.com

The price includes lots of very cool activities. They also only let so many people in per day, so you don't have to worry as much about feeling crowded. Check it out!
Jenn

I'll add my 2 cents. You will love Disney World IF:
1) you are a kid a heart
2) you love watching cute kids parade around in their disney pirate and princess outfits
3) you have an imagination and love the idea of going on a space trip to Mars, flying over California on a hang glider, and roaring down Mt. Everest being chased by a Yeti-I mean, you have to not be jaded and just get into the whole fantasy experience.
4) you love the Pixar and Dreamworks animated family films.
5) you enjoy walking 5 miles a day (broken up, of course)
6) you love being outside all day, just wandering around looking at all the sights (Epcot's tour of countries is great for that.)
7) you don't mind a bit of a crowd (but definitly go during the lower seasons-week before Thanksgiving is deserted.)

You will hate Disney World IF:
1) you love great ethnic cuisine
2) you want a quiet and relaxing vacation
3) The idea of being around 1000 children gives you panic attacks
4) you prefer activities of culture and sophistication rather than, well, a theme park. Because that's what it is basically.
5) you only stay at truly luxurious resort properties. There is nothing in Disney like a Ritz or a Four Seasons (yet.) THe "luxury" class of hotels there is sort of average.

Hope this helps! I'm trying to be objective for you. I personally loved my trip there last year, but I am just a kid at heart and love to pretend I'm still a kid!
Beth

Shelley, if I could hang with Sophie, I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Jane, Debbie & Sancho, I appreciate your honesty!

Evily, $4 for a pretzel wouldn't even make it on to the radar screen of a New Yawka ;)

Tracy, Sancho, Jordan & Jean, you are SOOO right about the timing. I almost forgot that Florida is nowhere to be in the summer. Silly me.

Michele, I'm definitely checking out Naples. You are too funny! :7

Shannon, I'd love it, but you know DT. :(

Karin, I wish DW had been around when I was a kid. I'm sure it's the bees knees for kids.

Melrose, I fear I am far too old to spend that much time anywhere!

Sarah, I'm LOL@ the Big Salad! :7 :7

Lorie, I love Shrek and Nemo and hate South Park. Your DF (what does the F stand for and do I really want to know?) has no idea what he's missing.

Diane, is there stuff in books that isn't on Disney's website?

Jenn, Discoverycove sounds awesome!

Beth, there's nothing I love more than playing with Beanie Babies, Barbies and playing board games all day long. I've been looking for my inner adult for years. :+

Thanks so much to all of you! :D

Nancy,

The great thing about the books is that they are at liberty to give their opinon. The best expensive hotel, the best economy hotel, the hotel with the best restaurant... It is amazing all the "insider tips" around. The book I have (WWD w/ kids 2006) gave info on what are the best days to go to each park, what rides to go to first and how best to use the "FastPass", the best place to view a parade. Many rate the hotels and what is the best feature at each hotel, same with restaurants. Some catagorize by the type of vacation you are looking for...things to do for a romantic vacation, things for a relaxing vacation, etc. I went to the library and then to the bookstore and fished through 10-15 books and picked the best two. I've been on too many vacations that on the last night, we found a great bar with a beautiful view and wonderful staff and thought why didn't we find this place 3 nights ago!! Now I do the research. Disney has it all - you just need to find it!

Good Luck! all this talk has got me itchin'!

Diane

DF-"Dear Fiance"

ETA:

All this Disney talk has definitely started me itching for a trip!!! Let's convince Cathe to do a road trip there!!! Wishful thinking...

Interesting thread - great reading all the varying opinions...

I'll have to say that I am REALLY bucking the whole Disney thing. I hate feeling guilty because my kids haven't "experienced Disney". I have absolutely NO desire to spend several thousand dollars to endure chaos and crowds and overpriced food...I'd much rather take that money and go on an Alaskan cruise or camping out west to Yosemite or the Grand Canyon. I'd take the stress of the long drive to masses of people in 100 degree heat anyday.

I'm glad some echo my opinion as I was starting to feel like a bad parent...and I'm a native Floridian and had been to Disney several times as a child. If I had cherished memories, perhaps I'd feel differently??

Heidi

Disney is an amazing place. We enjoyed taking our 4 year old son and watching him meet his favorite, Goofy. That said, I never plan on going back. (Now that I have a grandson, I may eat my words.) DH and I would much rather do the "real thing" than sit back and watch the artifical stuff at Disney. We would rather go snorkeling and see the real fish than sit in a plastic submarine and watch plastic fish. The lines were long, the prices were high. I'd much rather spend a day at the Mayan ruins or on a beautiful beach. JMHO.

Nancy,
I have been to DW 3 times (at age 17, 18, and 20) and enjoyed it but can't say I'm in any particular rush to go back. My 37-year-old sister, on the other hand, is gaga for the place and visits fairly frequently - she honeymooned there for her 1st marriage and is getting hitched aboard a Disney cruise this November for her second (don't get me started on the exorbitant cost for what is essentially a two-day cruise!). That said, I do think DW is worth seeing once in your life. It's not sophisticated, it's not the authentic ancient ruins, it *is* sort of cheesy and it's the great American money-making machine in action but yet there is something sorta magical about it, too. It's the quintessential American experience. I would say, humor DH, slip back into kid mode, and just roll with it. It may very well be worth it just for how happy it makes him.

~Cathy :)

>Yes, food is expensive but you can bring your own food in.
>Also, ever since Michael Eisner suffered a heart attack, he
>made sure there were lots of healthy choices in the parks.

So that's why the menus were so much "friendlier" 2 years ago...I never knew that. Yeah, I could always find something no matter where we went. The food is outrageously priced, however, we did the meal plan and it ended up to be a great deal for us since we took full advantage of every bit of it. You are given such a huge food allowance that we shared a bunch of meals, saved up our points, and went to a couple of the VERY nice restaurants in the resorts.

I do have to agree with some of the posters in that it IS a little dated, but I think that's half the fun. Plus, with all of the resorts and different ammenities in each, you can have as relaxing a vacay as you want and never have to set foot in a park if that's not your cup of tea. Also, the more upscale restaurants in both the resorts and parks are outstanding.

I also agree with those who have said to hit the place off-peak. We went in October of 2005 and there was virtually no one there and the weather could not have been more perfect.

Just my 2 cents,

Heidi, if you're really serious, I can tell you that I don't believe my nieces or nephew have ever visited Disney World, and they're growing up just fine. Of course, they go to places like Mohonk Mountain House in New York and Atlantis in the Bahamas, so they're not exactly deprived. :p :+

Robin, I should have a grandkid in a few years. Maybe we can take our grandkids together? Now THAT would be a fun time! :D :7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.