Disney World Question

nancy324

Cathlete
My DH and I are planning a vacation to Belize in the winter, but would like to take a short, relatively inexpensive vacation before then. We live in New York. My DH hasn't been to Disney World (is that the one in Florida?)since his son was a little kid, but he wants to go back. I've never been there.

So, here's my question: Should my DH and I go to Disney World, just the two of us? Keep in mind that I'm expecting to be wowed by the Mayan ruins in Belize, but am basically a jaded New Yorker with fairly sophisticated taste, who is hard to impress. Also keep in mind that I love kids, never had any, and sometimes become a bit sad about that. However, I really need to relax, and would be happy to just plant myself on a lounge chair with a good book.

I think I've asked this before, but I really want to hear from everyone who's been to these Disney places. I have no doubt that I will enjoy going there with a grandchild someday, but what about now? Thanks.

GO, GO, GO!!!! You'll love it. It's definitely not just a place for kids. You can make it as hectic or as relaxed as you want to, especially since it's just you and DT and no crazy kids (this time). If you really want to take a kid, I'll lend you Sophie for the trip;)

Ok..all you Disney-lovers can hate me but I think it is overly expensive. I went there when I was 12 or so and had a great time. It was so magical and new (was there in 1973). I have been back as an adult with no kids and just wasn't really impressed by it anymore. I went in 2000 and luckily only paid about $50 for 2 days and went to all 4 parks. It was interesting to go back to the Magic Kingdom but only for memories. I didn't care for MGM Studios although I loved the Tower of Terror and the Rock-N-Roll roller coaster. Epcot was ok as was Animal Kingdom. I went back in 2004 for a family thing, stayed in the park and realized what a rip-off it is. I guess if I had kids, I would take them for the experience but it's just not my thing. I don't know how families can afford to go there. I remember my parents saving up to take us there.

Don't mean to be a downer but just the flip side to the positive comments that you will probably receive.

I'm a voter of 'No" as well. Even if I had kids, I wouldn't go there (and before I get flamed, yes, I have quite a few friends with kids who have never taken them to DW/L, and the kids don't seem to have been damaged from it). There are just too many "real" and great places to go on vacation that would cost the same or less. That's just me...I can't imagine going there, especially if you aren't being forced to from kids guilting you into it.

I guess this is one of those rare instances where we differ, Nancy. :) We don't have the same tastes in vacations. Cruises and tour groups aren't my style, either. (I'm an "off-the-beaten-path-I'll-go-where-I-want-to-go-when-I-want-to" kinda gal) But you and your DH may love it...just giving my opinion...(god, when will I learn not to do that??!)

Hope you have fun whatever you decide to do!

"...and the kids don't seem to have been damaged from it"

Oh, not yet... but down the road? YEARS of therapy. *nods wisely*

;)

My DH and I went just the two of us about 8 years ago and had a really great time. We just looked at all the families dragging, (yes, DRAGGING) their little ones through the park exausted. We were so glad we left the baby at home. We are planning on taking the kids this year, and it will be a lot of work. It's all walking, walking, walking. We will have to remember to take it easy on them, their little legs will only take them so far. So, yes, you will have a good time. So much to see and do!

Sally

I LOVE Disney World! Definitely GO! DH and I went there (just the 2 of us) in January for my marathon and had a BLAST in the parks. I only wish we had been able to stay longer. We stayed in one of the Disney resorts and it was SO NICE - they take care of everything - you don't have to worry about a thing.

As one poster mentioned, it can be expensive. Food is outrageously priced in the parks. (Ummmm... $4 for a soft pretzel? Are you kidding me???) There's not much you can do about this - if you're hungry, you gotta eat - and Disney World clearly knows this. I think that's probably my only complaint with the Disney experience. Just gotta make sure you budget extra $$$ for meals. If you're not going to be there very long, then it won't be a huge hardship.

Hi Nancy,

I love disney..I have been there a few times and now I live in florida.. I would say go!! But in my opinion I would have to say go in the late fall when the weather is not so humid and the parks are not so crowded.. I think the perfect month to go is October the weather is warm but the humidity is gone(usually), the sun is out it is beautiful. Also it is not that crowded and will make your 1st experience much better. my friend went during spring break the park was so crowded they could barely walk.. she hated it!

Tracy

Please, PLEASE -- dip me in honey and strap me to an ant hill, but DON'T make me go to Disney World/Land-- ROTFLMAO!!

I really think you can do better. If it's a chase lounge you want, then go to Naples, FL and stay a couple of days at the Ritz where you can indulge in real creature comforts. Oh, and you can lounge around on the beach and people come and wait on you -- bring you drinks and stuff:p :D

Just tell DT that you want to stay home and relax. Wouldn't he just love that??? :p I sure would.

I am not a huge fan of Disney World. My parents took me when I was younger and I thought it was pretty cool, especially Epcot. Well, I had a conference in Orlando in 2002 and decided it would be cool to go back and experience everything again. Holy cow, what a disappointment. It was so dated and nothing had changed (which I guess is why some people love it). I just thought it was completely cheesy and not something I enjoyed doing as an adult. I would go to Key West and just hang out on the beach for a couple of days, but JMO! Have fun where ever you decide to go.

Karin

I love Disney, with kids and without! It's a wonderful place, but you have to be a big kid yourself to really enjoy it, IMHO!!!

I'm gonna vote No too. I grew up in Tampa and I've just been there too many times so I am not unbiased. As Karin said, it is just dated now. Some of the exhibits and rides just look so unsophisticated. If you do decide to go anyway, I would recommend getting a park hopper pass. This way you can do all the parks instead of just Disney(MGM, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, etc.) I think you'd get more out of that for a "total" experience.

This is great! :D Thanks so much for all the honest opinions!

Tpf, I'm not that into cruises and tour groups either, although I'm coming around. PLEASE make an exception for Alaska though and go on an Alaskan cruise. Even people who don't like cruises like the Alaskan cruise.

Keep those opinions coming!! :D

I went to DW as a kid in 1976 and again as an adult with my DH and 2 children in 2001. My kids were 11 and 6. I wasn't all that impressed. Themeparks and rides are not my cup of tea though. I would have rathered spent the $ on a different type of vacation. It wasn't relaxing at all for us. We went at the end of May when the kids got out of school. The kids enjoyed it but not sure if they enjoyed it enough to justify the cost.

The last time I went it was 2 years ago and the kids were 5. It was a disaster. The first thing we did was a 3-d movie and it scared the heck out of one of my girls. She refused to go in the dark for anything (most of the rides at DW are in the dark). It was such a waste.

But, as you are adults, I would say it could be a fun experience if you are young at heart. Because you mentioned sophisticated, I would not think this is your kind of thing.

If you do decide to go, consult some DW books about the least crowded times to go, that can really make it a much more pleasant experience. I think October and January are slow. The weather in October should be good. January would be colder, but probably still pleasant with a jacket.

I adored Disney World, BUT I'm sure the time of year we went had everything to do with it. We went the last week of April - no crowds, weather was perfect. Don't go May-September (way too hot and crowded), or during other peak times (Christmas, Thanksgiving, spring break) and you should have a great time.

I think it also makes things much better if you go as soon as the park opens, leave the park for lunch, take a long nap, then go back in late afternoon and stay until closing.

Nancy,

This is completely off, I guess, but have you ever seen Fallingwater? It's a couple of hours from Pittsburgh, in the mountains. There are a couple of nice resorts/hotel within an hour of the house...just throwing it out there. If you haven't seen it, I think you'd love it.

Another vote for no. DH and I went a few years ago and were floored by how expensive everything it was just blah. It seemed like it was mostly for children (which makes sense I guess). The restaurants in Epcot were good though. I agree with Te Te about going somewhere 'real'. :)

Carolyn

Hi Nancy,

I LUV Disney World. I'm an adult who still finds the Magic everytime I go and I've been plenty of times :D . Hubby goes mostly to see me smile but he has fun too. To tell you the truth, DH would rather go to the beach, relax, and rejuvinate. I like to do all sorts of things on vacation. Now having said that, I'm not sure that you would enjoy a Disney vacation. The info in your post makes me think, NOT! However, if your DH wants to go, give it a try. You might enjoy some of the shows & rides, have a drink at Epcott, go to the spa, lounge by the pool, or just be a kid again.

I have been to Disney World for all the Holidays but my favorite time to visit is in October. I meet the most fascinating people from all over the world at that time of year. Also, the weather is really nice in October and the crowds are not so bad, but there is enough of a crowd that the parks don't feel empty. I also like Christmas time, but it is crowded.

I have stayed on & off the property. After the first time I stayed on Disney property, that is the only place I'll book a hotel.

I agree with the Hopper pass suggestion. Also, if you go, do a little preplanning.

DH has a convention there in Aug. and my sister & brother talked me into going, (my sister has never been). UGH, Aug. is hot and crowded but I agreed. Of course, at that time Cathe hadn't announced the RT. Well, I probably wouldn't have typed fast enough to make the cutoff for the RT, so this is a nice consolation prize.

Okay, way more input than you wanted,

jordan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.