Disc 13: Rear Delts

petramom

Cathlete
I'm confused about the form on the Seated Rear Delts for Disc 13. Are the arms supposed to come straight out to the side (so they are roughly in line with the shoulders), or are we supposed to be pulling back (so the weights end up more in line with the lats)? Since it's a rear delt exercise I'd assume we need to keep the weights more in line with the shoulder, but on the DVD it looks like Cathe is pulling back.

If it's a shoulder exercise, I'd keep the arms in line with the shoulders, or even a little forward of that.

Holding them back more engages some of the back muscle more (which allows one to lift heavier, but only because muscles other than the rear delt are being used).

I guess it depends on what you want: shoulder isolation (as best one can), or a move that hits a wider area.

For those, you're arms are actually kind of in line with your ears. Like Kathryn said, just slightly forward of the shoulder line. It may look like she's pulling back because you should have your arms slightly bent to avoid excessive shoulder/neck strain. It may just look like she's pulling back, as a result.

Here's a suggestion. Sit down on the step and do the exercise with no weight at all. Slowly. Move your arm positions around a little bit and you'll really notice the difference in how you feel it and where. Cathe mentions this in the workouts when she says to visualize the muscles you want to be working - imagine them working and mentally really home in on that. Then add your weight back in and you should see the difference.

Last edited:
For those, you're arms are actually kind of in line with your ears. Like Kathryn said, just slightly forward of the shoulder line. It may look like she's pulling back because you should have your arms slightly bent to avoid excessive shoulder/neck strain. It may just look like she's pulling back, as a result.

Here's a suggestion. Sit down on the step and do the exercise with no weight at all. Slowly. Move your arm positions around a little bit and you'll really notice the difference in how you feel it and where. Cathe mentions this in the workouts when she says to visualize the muscles you want to be working - imagine them working and mentally really home in on that. Then add your weight back in and you should see the difference.

Excellent way to explain & "demonstrate"!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.