Difference between Chalene & Cathe

RE: The Perspective of an Overweight Exerciser

Not to hijack this thread but I just wanted to make a comment to Heather B. You always write so beautifully. I usually don't like reading over really long posts but I always read all of yours. They are so inspirational and eloquently written. I know others have posted this same thing about you and I just wanted to say thank you for always finding a way to say things in a way of stating how you feel without hurting the other person or degrading their opinion. Are you a writer, you always speak so passionately. Good luck in all your endeavors and I know you will get to where you want to be. God Bless.

I have to agree; apples and oranges. :) People are just so different.

I have to admit though, I can't stand it when an insturctor begs you to continue, or tells me how great I look, or how many calories I'm burning. I feel like, hey I put the tape in and got up without someone begging me to, so I don't need that kind of encouragement, you can't see me so you have no clue how I look, you have no idea of my muscle to fat ratio or my build so you have no clue how many calories I'm buring...just get on with the workout.

The motivation I get from instructors is an insturctor who delivers a well thought out, intelligent workout. Not something reckless and sloppy, all for the sake of working harder or making it fun. What I find fun others might find too hard or boring. What others find fun, I might find it too easy, boring or even stupid. One instructor who has plain dumb choreography that my sister loves...I wouldn't be caught dead doing ...he is very passionate though and has a large following so more power to him and his students.

I also hate to hear the same thing over and over. I love the TJ workouts I have, but I got so sick of hearing Chalene say how much fun I was having and how great the music was... because she picked it! On the other hand, having an insturctor warn me that something tough is coming up, I say 'bring it on!' or if they warn that we are about to ease up a bit, that is my cue to really push it because a rest is coming. I'll either make it or I won't, I'll either have to modify or I won't...for me, I know I will get there because quite frankly...I'm too stubborn to let a workout get the best of me. :)

This is an interesting discussion - I had never thought about this before. For me, I like both styles, but I have to say that Chalene's workouts all seem pretty easy to me and Cathe's all seem pretty "serious" and difficult. I don't know if some of that perceived intensity may be due to what the instructors are "broadcasting" with their comments. (I've been doing the new Patricia Moreno Inten-Sati workout, with the new-agey affirmations, and she keeps saying that, whatever you tell yourself, you will end up believing.) I don't wear a heart rate monitor, but I have read a few comments in the past that people who do, find that they burn lots of calories with Chalene's workouts, many more than they thought. I don't feel like I'm working hard with Chalene, even thought I'm a sweaty mess when I'm done, but I almost always feel like I'm really working hard in a Cathe workout.

I think some of us (myself included) LIKE to think and be told that we are doing difficult workouts -it makes us feel challenged and like we have made a big accomplishment when we finish the workout. The old no pain, no gain philosophy - HEY, I did Cathe and I lived through it! But I really find this whole idea very interesting, especially in terms of "what you tell yourself is what your body believes", and now whenever I'm doing a workout I'm going to pay attention to the messages the instructor is conveying, and see if that conforms with the way I perceive the workout.

Thanks for posting this! Love reading all these comments.

" I love the TJ workouts I have, but I got so sick of hearing Chalene say how much fun I was having and how great the music was...
because she picked it!"

LOL! I totally agree with this, no matter HOW MANY times Chalene says what great music it is, I will never believe it, because I just put up with (to my ears) ridiculous music for the pleasure of doing TJ workouts...

One positive way of looking at the "this is tough" comments: eventually, it won't be as tough, then you can feel even prouder about mastering the move.

I guess I don't pay much attention to the "this is going to be tough" comments, because sometimes they end up being true for me (maybe most times!) and sometimes they aren't true ("whatcha talkin' 'bout, Cathe? This isn't that tough! That other section was a lot tougher!"). They actually are easier to tune out than overly-enthusiastic "burn that butter" comments or those of the same ilk that some instructors like to make ad infinitum.

Like Heather says so well, not all instructors work for everyone. Some things are just deal breakers (I think that some of Denise Austin's more recent workouts sound interesting, but I can't get past her voice and her talking to us like we're 5 year olds; another CIA instructor has a kickbox/bootcampy workout that I thought looked great...if only someone else had taught it. I couldn't get past her voice and some of her tics, so got rid of it.).

But I also understand wanting to like an instructor, and finding most of what they do just fine, but having issues with one thing that may not be a 'deal breaker,' but can be annoying. Sometimes what you like about the workout outweighs that one thing, and sometimes it doesn't. You have to decide for yourself where you stand on each instructor, and whether that one annoyance is a deal-breaker or not.

I second what Heather says... (which is always so beautifully said and cuts right to the core of the discussion).... there are many many instructors out there and you just have to find the one(s) who inspire you. Cathe is that "one" for me. I've tried many instructors and I just click with Cathe... I find it so difficult to work out with anyone else. But that is my personal experience as your experience is yours. Just because Cathe's personality/style doesn't mesh with your own doesn't make her a bad instructor. IMHO she is the very best.

"Long live the difference!"

I know there is a french version...viva la differance? or something like that.

I enjoy both Cathe and Chalene for different reasons.

You know this is Cathe's forum? Does Chalene have a forum you could pop on over to?

beth6395

"Another one that proves equipment is not necessary to get the job done" -Cathe Friedrich

I love Cathe's style. I look at it as seeing Cathe's sense of humor, when she says this one's gonna get you. In Slow & Heavy, which I love by the way. I always laugh, when Cathe says, we have one more, "oh boy", It's gonna be a good one. It never ceases to put a smile on my face. I look at it this way, if Cathe finds this one Tough, than I am Normal! LOL.

Not taking anything from Chalene, I enjoy T.J. a lot, but I'm not always in a mood to shake it and be silly. Sometimes I need a hardcore no nonsence workout, and I find Cathe provides that.

Cathe is the Best.

Iris

Cathe makes me work hard, and i love it. Turbo Jam can be fun but not a challenge for me. I like it when Cathe let's me know it is going to be a hard one... shows me just how real she is and does not sugar coat her workouts. Also i like knowing when i'd better be ready for a hard one! In my oppinion Cathe is the best instructor out there with the best workouts and variety.

I like Chalene and I LOVE Cathe.

I really like Cathe's teaching style of giving a 'heads up' on the more difficult parts in her workouts.
I find it very encouraging to know it's coming and I made it thru!

I have not done turbo jam and probably won't. I just don't seem to reach much for my non Cathe's, so I'm reluctant to spend money on them.

That said, I hope Cathe does not change. I find her style challenges me to go beyond what I thought I could do. The "this is going to be tough" comments gear me up to mentally prepare for what is coming and really focus on getting through that segment.

I have never felt the slightest bit discouraged. I just modify when I have to and set goals to improve.

Different strokes for different folks. There are a ton of instructors out there so everyone is bound to find someone they like. I'd hate it if they were all the same.

Maggie:)

> Either the
>workouts were not my cup or tea, or their personality or
>teaching style did not click with me. I did not go to their
>website and complain about what is “wrong” with them because
>there is nothing wrong with them.<

I agree Heather. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one that thought this was extremely tacky and rude.

Thank You!!!

Toni:

Thank you for your kind words. :) I am not a professional writer, but I am very passionate and love to write. :7 I love words too. My friends tease me about having the gift of words and words and words. :7 Believe it or not, my posts here are very short compared to what I used to write! ;)

Blessings,
Heather B.

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us” (Hebrews 12:1 NIV).

I am not sure "bold" is the correct term...but anyway. I am fairly new to Cathe and just wanted you to know that I would be more than happy to take those Cathe workouts off your hands!!!!!!

Kelli

niece2k,

You are one bold chick! Just my cup of tea.

Cathe has always responded positively to criticism so I'm sure she would appreciate your comments even though others have a problem with it :) That's one of the things that makes her a great business person.

Having said all that, the thing that describes the difference between Cathe and Chalene for me is:

Chalene: California, laid back, whatever works for you!

Cathe: Northeastern, first class, professional :)

They both ask you to put your all into your workouts.

They're both great personalities...just different.

Variety makes the world go round, right?

>I know there is a french version...viva la differance? or
>something like that.
>
Very close! "Vive la différence" (an expression of French origin).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.