Diet Pills

Snitker

Banned
I am such a fool! I am a compulsive overeater and have gained over 40 pounds this year. I was on Weight Watchers and got below 110 and then just gained it all back and then some. I have always exercised at least an hour a week. I really like to exercise, but unfortunetly I like eating like a hog too! Anyway, my weight gain came in spite of the fact that I was exercising vigorously for over 5 hours a week. I had it coming to me as I did this to myself by eating ungodly amounts of food and it was always bad foods. I keep the local pizzaria in business! Ice cream is also my down fall. I know I cannot have this stuff in my house. I am so fat and I had it coming to me. Now I do my best to avoid mirrors and I am just sick to death of myself. I went out (against my better judgement) and bought RapidSlim SX pills and have been taking 1 pill 2 times a day since Monday. I lost over 4 pounds in under 3 days, but I feel miserable!! My heart is constantly racing and I have a chronic headache. I am just so deperate to lose this weight, but am realizing there are no quick fixes. I need to accept the consequences of my actions. All that being said, now If I go back to the Weight Watchers and eating healthy will I still be able to lose weight or is my metabolism shot from all the abuse? Plus will I need to up my 5-7 hours of weekly exercise just to lose the weight or will getting the eating under control and continuing at my own pace with the exercise be sufficient? Thanks for any advice or suggestions you have!

Exercise

Sorry the exercise time should read at least 5 to 7 hours a week. Usually I do an hour long Cathe DVD for 2 days, then 50 minutes on the elliptical machine on day 3. Then I do an hour long Jari Love DVD for 2 days and back to the elliptical machine for 50 minutes on the 3rd day. I rarely take a day off of this routine, as I simply enjoy exercising, but obviously I enjoy eating loads of crap as well. I know that I had this weight gain coming to me, but I still feel humiliated and very ashamed of myself. Any help would be appreciated!

Not Cathe here, but thought I'd chime in. Diet pills are definitely not the way to go. Sounds like whatever you're taking has a stimulant in it, and you are risking heart damage. Stick with WeightWatchers, it works. That is the program I follow.

No, your metabolism is not shot. There is no reason you can't lose, especially with a balanced exercise program. One comment I have is that you should not be doing Get Ripped 2 days in a row; you should not work the same body part with strength training 2 days in a row (that goes for Cathe, too). If you are doing a split (upper body one day, lower body the next), that is fine, but strength gains are gained during rest days, so it is very important to rest in between. Maybe try something like this:

Day 1: Cathe total body strength training workout
Day 2: Elliptical
Day 3: Cathe total body strength training workout
Day 4: Elliptical
Day 5: Get Ripped DVD
Day 6: Elliptical
Day 7: day of rest or light activity such as yoga or walking

Eventually you will want to mix up your routine, though; you will plateau if you do the same strength training routine and if the only cardio you do is the elliptical, so you will eventually want to mix it up. That is easy enough as Cathe has tons of strenth training and cardio DVDs and there are 5 Get Ripped videos.

Lastly, I want to say: Go easy on yourself! It sounds like you are punishing yourself for having gained some weight, like you're some horrible person because of it. No one should feel ashamed for weight gain, just pick yourself up and focus on long-term health goals. The weight will come off. Keep the goal in mind, but focus on the journey. It took me a long time to learn that, and I wish I had not spent so much time hating myself.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
Hello there from another X compulsive binge eater here!

Although that's behind me.. it still liike to haunt me now and then :)

Anyway you'd be very surprised at how much you can lose simply by adjusting your diet.
I wouldn' bother with the fat burners.. are you hoping you can X out the exercise and use the fat burners to compensate for the overeating?
Not going to happen.
Ditch the fat burners for now.. they elevate the heartrate (thus increasing the metabolism) and if you're sensitive to them they can give you anxiety.
If you feel lazy or lack energy you *could* try some caffine.. either green tea or plain coffee (no sugar).. even a natural green tea supplement would suffice.
Id clean up the diet.. if you're hungry or feel like binging, try having more protein or veggies with your meals, it will help you reach satiety without the fat, calories or carbs some other foods (insert pizza here) contain.
If you feel like doing cardio, do it.. if not then you could certainly see how much you can lose simply by diet alone (if you think you can have that much control over it).

Fat loss comes mainly from diet.

Even though this will definitly work, I can't emphasize enough the benefit that weight trianing will have. Even just starting at 30 mins per workout, weight training will elevate the heartrate and keep the metabolism elevated for hours (even days, for intense training) to come whereas cardio alone, will not.
What cardio alone will do is burn calories and help you create a deficit.
If you're diet is under control, you may not need so much of this.. and if you're weight trianing then that will burn calories as well, so if you only have time for one, Id opt for the weights.

I know its hard to just say "eat clean, have more veggies, have in moderation".. I know how hard it is to shift into that thought pattern. Its actually near impossible for compulsive eaters, but it can be done :)

Good luck!

Hi Snitker,

I notice you posted this on Ripped as well, so I responded there too.

Honey, there is enough shame in this world without you shaming yourself over trying to feel better. My sincere suggestion? Get thee to a therapist that you can trust. Until we deal with the forces that drive us head on, we will always use destructive habits to avoid facing that which pains us. We are all good people; we have to work to heal the pain inside us so we can have control over our lives rather than letting the pain unconsciously control us. The pain is what makes us compulsively overeat, throw up, starve ourselves, over-exercise, call ourselves names and a ton of other behaviour all aimed at avoidance of pain - avoiding the feelings that hurt so much.

You eat because you feel bad, then you feel bad because you ate, so then you eat some more, then you feel bad, and so on. Weight is a symptom, not the disease. You are eating to run from feelings that hurt. The bad feelings are the disease, the complusive overeating is a coping mechanism to handle the bad feelings and the weight is the result. If you deal with the symptom, rather than the disease, you will always be ill.

Stop the cycle - find someone who will help. Most therapists today work from the cognitive-behavioural point of view, but given what you have said today, you may be better off with someone who will help you on a deeper, more long-term level. Cognitive-behavioural basically works to change the programming of the brain to have less harmful responses to stimuli, but does not help you understand what made you that way in the first place. I personally think it's better to find out what drives us, so that we can make decisions with awareness and focus, as opposed to doing whatever makes us feel better in the moment and makes us feel like crap later.

This is something that I know a lot about, because I am where you are and I have been where you have been. Sweetie, know that you are not alone. The diet industry is worth billions just because people like you and me are desperate to stop feeling bad. Therapy is hard, hard, painful work. It has to be, or it ain't any good. But it feels good too. Sort of like a really brutal workout - it hurts like hell, it's exhausting, and you feel it for the next few days, but you like the results and you are proud of yourself for having the courage to try and succeed and even fail.

Good luck, sugar. You are a good person and eventually you will believe it. I will be thinking of you.

The first and most important thing you need to do is stop being ashamed of yourself. You're not kicking puppies, you're just eating too much. Most people do things that they wish they wouldn't do. I'd say the vast majority of us do things we wish we wouldn't do on a regular, sustained basis. Eating too much is one of those things that it's hard to go into denial about, though, since the evidence is inescapable. You are a worthy human being no matter what your weight. It's going to take a while to lose weight, and it's possible that you may never lose it. But you will always be you, and you have to get OK with that.

I definately feel for you!! I always like to eat a lot, but I have been on a month long binge fest that I cannot stop!! I have been eating non-stop for the whole month literally. I have gained about 8 lbs and I am SICK! Today I have eaten 2 Christmas tree Debbie cakes for breakfast, huge bowl of soup and cornbread for lunch, 2 brownies for dessert, 4 Krystal burgers and large fry for supper and about 1/2 box of Russell Stover chocolates, then a bag of chips and I'm not done yet because I work until 3 in the morning! I have tried every diet pill there is in the past and nothing has worked. I just ordered a book called "Appetite awareness workbook- How to listen to your body and overcome bonging, overeating, and obsession with food" I am hardly ever hungry! My brain just wants food!! I really hope this book is helpful to me!

Sniker,

I think what you are doing will help much for taking off the weight you want. DO NOT TAKE DIET PILLS!

I was on line and I came up with a great way to loose weight. I found part of it on Art Of Strength in the women section.

If you'd like to try it, here it is:

I'm planning on taking the challenge of doing a Metabolic Resistance Training, 3 times per week, before STS comes out, I will start STS when it arrives in the mail. I know, not very much time left, but it will help me, even if it is only for a short time.

From what I understand, you do a full body workout, example only: There are more on the website, if you do a search.

1. Stability ball push up to jackknife 10-15 reps
2. Split Squat to low cable row 10-15 reps each side
3. Dumbell front squat to press 10-15 reps
4. Deadlift 5 times, walk 10 yards turn a round and repeat 4 times without stopping.
5. 10 push ups
10 cross body mountain climbers
10 burpees
10 jump squats
10 recline rows

Rest 30-45 seconds between each exercise, perform these one right after the other. Rest 90-120 seconds after the fifth movements and repeat for 4 circuits. This will be done 3 times a week.

I will add a High Intensity Anaerobic Interval Training in-between these workouts. Then I will have a rest day and start over again.

This is very hard stuff, but if you want to loose the weight, you have to get in there and do it.

Hope this helps with your weight loss endeavor, I know this will help me get a head start.

Janie

Thank you all so much for the great replies! It just feels really good to get this off my chest. Now if I can get off my gut & thighs. Sorry, just my sick humor. But I really do appreciate all the great responses and even though I don't know you ladies ( and/or gents) you are so inspiring to me. Just reading what other peoples experiences are and how we are all different and yet still so much the same. Am I making any sense? At any rate, Thanks you all for being you and taking the time to reply. Hope everyone else is in good spirits this Christmas season. On a brighter note, I am eagly looking forward to getting my Cathe calendar. Hugs to all!

Hi, here is my story. I understand your frustration

Wow - I m sorry to hear that you are feeling so badly. I know what you are going through too.

I would definitely get rid of the diet pills. They are not going to work and they are only going to hurt you. I don't think you have damaged your metabolism - but you should see a doctor about all of this. I do agree with the one person who suggested therapy. It is a great thing -very liberating I think.

I quit smoking 2 years ago. I followed a clean low cal balanced diet. I exercised everyday. Yet, those 25 lbs I gained after quitting would not budge. I gave up alcohol and sweets. I counted every calorie. I hired trainers at the gym. I wore a heart rate monitor with calorie tracker and I was burning anywhere from 500 - 1100 Kcal/day. I even worked out twice per day on some days. I did the Cathe workouts at home too. I got plenty of rest. I only drank water and herbal tea. I even threw out the scale. I used a hand held body fat monitor and a measuring tape to track the progress of my efforts.

Guess what - after 6 months, I was STILL the same size 10 I have been since I gained the weight. I was still the same body fat and the same measurements. Sounds frustrating? Yes it is. In fact I was pissed. I started to take it out on myself. After all, I followed the rules, recommendations, consulted dieticians and doctors. I should be a 125 size 4 again. Instead, I am muscular with a little padding (well not so little since the holiday goodies have come out!) size 10. I became quite depressed. So I decided to go to an endocrinologist. Not just any endocrinologist either - one of the top in his field in country. I waited 2 months for the appointment. I took two hours and created a 3 generation family history and included every illness, ailment, broker bone, sprained ankle, medication, x ray, ct scan, mri, etc that I have had since birth in this write up I submitted to the doctor. I also included copies of blood work and tests that I have had done over the years.

He reviewed my history and test results and has run some tests of his own. I am waiting for the next appt to get the results. However, during the exam, I asked why I could not lose weight after quitting smoking. He explained what nicotine does to the brain - particularly the pituitary gland - and hormones in the brain. The nicotine had changed my metabolism. When I had quit - my metabolism went back to its preset, genetically predetermined level. He explained that everyone has a genetically predetermined body. The body will do what it takes to maintain that set point. The bottom line: live a healthy lifestyle, accept your body and love yourself for who you are.

Now, he did not mean that I have carte blanche to eat whatever I want. There will be consequences for that too - heart disease, obesity, diabetes, etc. BUT, living a healthy lifestyle is just as much mental as it is physical. The doctor told me that I could lose weight, but I would have to restrict my calories to a dangerous, unhealthy level for the rest of my life. As soon as I increase the calories, the weight will come back on. The body will fight to maintain its predetermined homeostasis. He said I could lose weight on the restricted diet, but I would be miserable. He encouraged me to eat a healthy diet and exercise and accept myself.

Becky, thank you for sharing your story...im interested in knowing the results of your test from the endocrinologist. would you mind sharing them when you get them?

Snitker,I also agree with the majority here, please don't take diet pills....It took me a long time to lose my weight and I NEVER used a single diet pill. Just counted calories and worked out. You CAN do it....you just have to believe in yourself,and it will happen:) and be patient.

good luck!:)

I can't eat

My appetite is zilch.

I struggle with eating disorders and I feel as though I am becoming anorexic.

I guess I am at the other end of the spectrum.

At my age (54) I do not need to lose weight. Women my age who lose a lot of weight look really, really bad in the face.

you are welcome

Becky, thank you for sharing your story...im interested in knowing the results of your test from the endocrinologist. would you mind sharing them when you get them?

Snitker,I also agree with the majority here, please don't take diet pills....It took me a long time to lose my weight and I NEVER used a single diet pill. Just counted calories and worked out. You CAN do it....you just have to believe in yourself,and it will happen:) and be patient.

good luck!:)

Hello,

Absolutely! I go back on the 5th. I will send you a message. Thanks!

Labrador Syndrome made me wake up as to what I was ramming down my throat. Its usually wrapped with underlying emotional issues that also have to be addressed by yourself. Diet pills will only mask the issue. So what is trigger? No point doing the pity party. I have had A GUZZLE and its up to ME to get back on the GOOD food intake. You sound depressed.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.