DH said he doesn't want man arms on me grrrr

I am really confused. How much weight training should I do to just tone up? I told him I cant bulk up like a man but he doesn't even want me to have Cathe arms. He said man muscles on a woman isn't sexy and told me to put the dumbbells down.:mad:

I think we have the same husband. Mine told me the same thing a few weeks ago. I told him I won't bulk up like that, but he doesn't believe me. So I try to sneak in tricep work. Have the same issue with chest.. He thinks I'll flatten out.. Frustrating...

I don't have this problem with my hubby. I'm glad that I don't, because I would have to tell him that IT'S MY BODY & I'M THE ONE THAT HAS TO BE HAPPY WITH IT. But, not everyone is "free" to say this to their mate, & I understand that.

Huh? He's telling you what to do?

I don't even understand that part, much less the part about him wanting a say in what your arms look like.

Sorry, I decide what workouts I do.

I agree 100% with Jayne and JeanneMarie.

My husband will never, ever tell me how to shape my body - he will love me even if I weighed 400 pounds or had arms like Cathe (which in fact, he thinks Cathe's arms are awesome).

Margarita

Back when I was doing STS and I got really cut in the upper body and DH told me the same thing. Just because he told me my muscles were getting too big didn't mean I was was going to do anything about it but smile. As a female you are only going to get so big and that's it. Not going to be like a guy. But if your body does seem to "over develop" in some areas (and you agree that you don't want to get any bigger) then level out the weight so you maintain your muscles but don't grow them. I think women body builders are unattractive. They don't get that way naturally. They're taking stuff and training heavily. Normal workouts aren't going to make a woman anything but beautiful.

I agree - I would kill for Cathe arms!! Tell him to worry about his own arms and you'll worry about yours (and then do what you like)!

I couldn't get man arms if I tried. Even though right now I am in injury recovery mode, even when I was 100% I would lift and lift and still barely have any arm muscle to show for it....they just weren't blobby and as jiggly...

I think we have the same husband. Mine told me the same thing a few weeks ago. I told him I won't bulk up like that, but he doesn't believe me. So I try to sneak in tricep work. Have the same issue with chest.. He thinks I'll flatten out.. Frustrating...

Thats silly, boobies ain't made of muscles:p

And you could say.....

"I don't want a beer belly on you!" Seriously, he's probably afraid your arms will look better than his. What kind of shape is HE in? I'll bet I can guess! What a jerk!

Last edited:
Huh? He's telling you what to do?

I don't even understand that part, much less the part about him wanting a say in what your arms look like.

Sorry, I decide what workouts I do.

^^^^ This.

You are "sneaking in" tricep work????? Seriously? Sneaking?

Lifting is good for you, important for your long term health, etc. Do what you know is right and what you like to do. End of story.

I could never be that submissive to have a man tell me what to do with my body. I'd have to say shove it! I do what I want with my body or they can leave. But that's me.

Janie

You know what, just do it anyway. Does your DH work out at all or have a "physical" job that keeps him in shape? I'll bet he's afraid you'll be more fit that he is. My husband does Cathe workouts right along with me.

I'm pretty fortunate in that my DH is in the educated crowd when it comes to weight lifting; plus he likes the results bc it means I can help him unload deer corn from his truck (each bag weighs 40+lbs) or help him move a frig, etc.

Many women I work with always comment about women with muscles, especially arm muscles (like Kelly Rippa). They think it's ugly...I always remind them that for a woman to get really good muscles like that, it takes A LOT OF WORK. A woman like that is in shape, and they should proud of her and for her.

I would kill for good muscle definition like that, but I'm tall and kind of lanky, and it is nearly impossible for me. Long limbs just don't get muscles. I do have some good muscle showing when I flex them, but not as much as I'd like. I can tell you that I have much more endurance than most folks, and I am much stronger now than when I started 4 years ago.

Your husband should be proud of you. I know my boyfriend is because he always gets me to help him with things that require some muscle power....he even made the comment one day that his former girlfriend would never have been able to do what I did (help carry a large kayak). He's proud of my work ethic and my commitment to be fit.

I also get comments from men, and they think it's HOT!

I am really grieved at the disrespectful tone to men on this thread. Why can't have their opinion just like we do? I do not think that makes them stupid, just different. They are completely different than women. They think differently about almost everything. I would not want anyone saying that my son is stupid because he has a male-perspective opinion and I doubt Cathe or any other woman who is worth her salt would care to have anyone call her sons stupid when they get older too.

Male-bashing in this culture has become very tolerated and almost encouraged. However, if we are walking down a dark alley with our man, and some thug came up with a gun and was going to rape us...every single one of us women would expect our man to lay down his life to save us....and the thing is...they would. And for that I am thankful and I respect my husband for his strength, differences, and opinions, even though I may not totally agree with them, but I respect that he has an intellect and opinions.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.