Depression (long)

jdifischer

Cathlete
Hi,

I have reacently (5 weeks ago) started on Cymbatla for depression. I was slowly going down hill. Could hardly get out of bed and when I did my entire body ached. All related to an injury 6 years ago and I had to quit my job (which I loved) and now money issues at home and starting a new job (realtor) in a market that is horrible. Basically have worked with no income for the last year. Yada Yada. SO - I finally had a near break down. My DH came home and took me to the doctor. He prescribed Cymbalta (60mg) daily and Ativan for when a panic hits. I don't like the Ativan at all - sends me into next week. I am feeling MUCH better however I have one issue. I can't seem to want to work out. It's all I can do right now to make sure my house is in order and my son and DH are taken care of but going into the workout room just sounds like a chore. I haven't gained any weight - actually lost at first because the medicine makes your tummy upset.

I have ALL of Cathe's DVD's - even the new one's. Normally I would be down there blasting away but just can't get the get up and go. I like to work out in the morning. If I wait until evening I am whipped.

My question is - has anyone else out there had this happen or on Cymbalta? Any suggestions? I am getting "soft" and my aerobic capacity is dwindling.

Thanks for any and all comments.

D
Dawn

I was put on Lexapro and Xanax (as needed for panic attacks) for mine. But it was affecting my workouts so I just do my morning workouts and take my medicine afterwards (more noon/early afternoon) That way I get a good workout in.

HTH

Kim

I do not think it is the medication that is making you not want to work out. It is the depression itself and the general weariness that is a symptom of depression.

It can take a full 6 weeks for any antidepressant medication to make you feel better physically. So, wait a little longer.

You say you are feeling better. Certainly, if you now have the incentive to get out of bed and the energy to look after the family and do light housework, then I would say, this is progress indeed. I would not expect any more of myself right now.

The desire to workout will return in time. Don't rush it. Working out seems like a chore because you are only thinking of it in terms of what you previously managed to do, i.e. gut-busting workouts with Cathe. This is an extreme. You do not need to be exercising like this for it to be of benefit to you. In fact, severe exercise actually places a great stress upon the body, and right now, this is a stress you do not have the energy to afford yourself.

Re-think your attitude towards exercise and what classifies as "exercise." Make it your aim to go outside for a daily walk in the fresh air. Stay out for one hour if you can. Look up at the sky. Consider the people and things and places around you, that you are part of a larger existence.

I am in the same boat as you, except that antidepressant medication has not worked for me and I am currently going it alone, armed only with bi-weekly therapy sessions. I barely worked out for a full year, just a few walks, that's all. I lost all desire to workout and yes, the thought of leaping through the air with Cathe held no fascination for me at all. I am revising my idea of exercise and am finding that using the treadmill at a local fitness centre and walking 6-8 miles 3 or 4 times per week is a vast improvement for me and sets me back on the right track. Like you, I am not ready for Cathe yet. I have only a limited amount of energy, nothing like what I used to have. So, I have to be careful how and where I spend it.

So you are getting soft and your aerobic capacity is dwindling. So am I and so has mine. So what? You'll get them back when you are good and ready to do so. But, I think for now, think "health" and think holistically, rather than "fitness." What is good for your health right now is gentle exercise, walking, yoga, a swim with the family, all heading out for a bike ride, reading a book for pleasure, baking maybe, being with your family, sleeping enough, etc.

There's plenty of time for Cathe workouts later on. Don't worry about them for now. I'm not.

Good luck and please look after yourself,

Clare

I am so glad you post this message, I started with Wellbuprin XL 150 ML, three days ago, my doctor put me in this pill after giving me a questionare and had 16 points, she told me I had depression, due to entering menopause, and going thru some events in my life like experiencing the empty nest, dealing still with an troubled teenager, a brother who suffered a stroke, and the fact that after being diagosed with anemia I dont have the strength to excercise at all, I used to run in events, winning medals and throphies of third place and today I am over weight, tired, confused and sad.

So dear do not feel alone, thanks to your post I am glad I am writing this to you, I hope it helps. Have you consider therapy? it helps a lot!!!!!! and dream and visualize that you will get were you want to be, I am dreaming, wishing and visualizing that I will be runnning again, someday, baby steps, I used to do the whole dvd of Low Max with cathe, today I just do 10 minutes and with the lowest level on the step bench, but I am still moving, right? a hug to you and good luck!

I'm with Clare - and it sounds like you may be an all or nothing over achiever..you don't have to do a Cathe workout to do well by your body! How about you just start with a brief walk, some crunches and situps and a stretch? That is enough for cardiac health! (Fitness and endurance are another story)...why not cut yourself a break...so MANY of we natural living organic girls have found that despite organic living, yoga for hours, herbs and supplements....nothing works like an SSRI! Give the cymbalta a chance....6 - 8 weeks and be GOOD to yourself! The house doesn't have to be spotless, it doesn't! Most kids resent their moms for being anal during childhood, but they'll cherish a fun mom.. Try 20 minutes a day, no more.....and slowly, the motivation will come back .....and folks like Denise Austin only work out 30 minutes a day! And Body for Life gals get in great shape with clean eating and 4 hours of work out in a week! Big hugs, and you are not alone!

Well, I took Cymbalta for about 4 weeks and I was so tired. I had to force myself to work out. My doctor suggested taking it at night instead of in the morning.

Can you ask about doing that?

Dawn, I recommend that you go back and talk with your doctor about what you're experiencing. While it could be the depression causing you not to want to work out I found for me that switching to a different type of medication made the difference for me. Previously I had been on Paxil and I literally felt like a zombie...sure I suppose it helped the depression but then I didn't feel like doing anything! Then she switched me to Wellbutrin XL and that made a world of difference. Currently I'm slowly weaning off of all medication....because I just don't want to be on it long term. Also I agree with the others to start out slowly, maybe try some other things like walking, etc. to start out. I did that and also started out with Cathe's beginner workouts on a 4 inch step because my fitness had deteriorated quite a bit and then built back up. I'm not yet at my previous fitness level but definitely getting back there. Anyway, see your doctor, hope that helps.

Cheryl

First of all - THANK YOU SO MUCH - for your kind and informative responses. It's amazing how alone you feel in this stituation and your not as alone as you think.

I decorated the entire house the last two days for Christmas and today feel like I was hit by a truck. I am going to look into taking the Cymbalta in the evening. I am taking that drug due to the physical side of the depression (ache/pain). I also am going to start working out - with really easy stuff. I am thinking I am going to start with Slim in 6 that I used before I discovered Cathe. I started using this after I had my hysterectomy. That also has been an issue - regulating my hormones. I had a hyster at 41 4 years ago.

Unfortunatly I don't care much for Debbie Siebers workouts per say as I am so spoiled by Cathe! Cathe's cuing, energy, and voice are the perfect fit for me. I will keep thinking positive and hopefully by Jan 1 I will be back to Cathe level! I also have my wonderful Beagle to walk.

Down to the workout room I go!!
Dawn

Dawn, I can so relate to you!

I would have to 100% agree with Clare. (BTW, Clare, way to go on the 6-8 miles 3 times per week..that's ALOT!). That said, I know when you are down, really down, at the bottom, even heading out the door seems as daunting as pushing a 300 pound boulder uphill. Your head is just not in the right place. So you continue to do the same thing, nothing, and then feel guilty and wonder what the heck is wrong with you that you can't even take a leisurely walk for 20 minutes? I know I feel like a shell of my former self. Those all or nothing, crazy hard workouts I used to do would kill me now. But I am not sure I want to get back to that place. Maybe that attitude was part of what put me where I am today. I just flat out burnt out! Looking back now, I can see it coming on, ever so slowly, ever so insiduous, until it ate me up.

When I sold a few of my Cathe workouts, everyone gasped and said that one day I would get back into them, but I am not so sure. Now when I turn on a workout I am just not too excited. I fumble through it like yesterdays news. I get a glimmer of excitement with the new workouts, simply because there are some new moves and some decent music, but I don't think enough to keep me with it. I just miss working out with people and the challenge of being "in it together" (I mostly did Cathe workouts with friends before, not an option now). I need to ccccrrrrraaaaawwwwwllllll into a gym, a physical class maybe, see what that is like. Sometimes we just need other people. That is why I have always thought they should have a "Depressed Walkers" club or something made up of depressed people trying to crawl back by trying to eat right and get fit. I would love to be the leader of that group. I am great at cheering other people on, I just suck cheering for myself!!

Cymbalta can make you tired. Wait it out, it may just be a temporary SE. It may never go away and then of course you will want to talk with your doc. When your depression abates, ever so little, you may find that you STILL don't want to exercise, but that you don't necessarily mind doing a little gardening in the front yard. That is progress.....and exercise. So don't be down on yourself. You are your own worst critic!

I hope the Cymbalta works for you. I couldn't deal with any of those drugs, I had to go on a mood stabilizer, Lamictal (BTW, can't say enough about this drug...NO SE's!!!). It has helped but some days I wonder how much. But no pill is going to make you feel brand new! I realize that and acknowlege I am still going to have to get my mind in the right place. I guess that is the value of therapy...

HTH!

I was just put on lexapro as well. About a week now. I took it at night first and man I thought I was going to run a marathon. I find that so far taking it in the morning has worked out better for me. Like I said it has been just a week and my side effects have been better since taking it in the morning. I read that jitters and insomnia are a side effect and those seem to be the ones I'm experiencing. From the post above i see I should wait a good couple of week before deciding how it is effecting me. My workouts seem to be on the up swing again. My heart still feels bruised and tight from a panic attack I had prior to finally caving and getting some help from suffering from anxiety for the past three years. It is nice to see that we can talk about this. It does feel good not to be alone. I can't wait for my anxiety to begin to subside. I am going to stay the couse with exercise because it seems to be the best medicine.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.