Denver anyone....

CurlyQtee

Cathlete
hi all you step babes!!
My husband and I are thinking of moving to Denver in the very near future. Littleton area. We have a 3 and 4 yr old girls. Can any of you tell me about Littleton or where is a great area in the Denver area to live. My husband and i love to snowboard and wakeboard and we're ready to get out of the Phoenix heat after 14 yrs here. I appreciate any advice!!
Thanks a bunch!
Candace :):)

I have visited Littleton and Colorado Springs many times and love the whole state, BUT the longest time I spent there was 2 weeks, hopefully someone actually lives there and can give you better answers. We may move there in the future if I get my way :p

Seriously, the I loved the Denver metro area and everything seemed so easy to get to on the 470 loop or straight thru on 25. And the mountains are GORGEOUS, and the skiing is fantastic.

Good luck!

I'll be watching this thread. :)

* Three former classmates of mine have moved to Colorado, and they have nothing but wonderful things to say.

* I was watching a show on the healthiest places to live in the US ~ Durango, CO was #1.

* In DH's financial magazines, they do a "Best Places To Live" piece a couple of times a year. CO is always on the list, and it was #1 this year.

You could say it's got my attention now. :D I've decided our next vacation will be in CO, though I haven't a clue as to where exactly yet.

I live north of Denver. Both sets of in-laws live in western Denver suburbs. I think it's a great area to live in. The summers DO get hot, but not quite as hot as AZ and it's not humid here, either. I love living here and could never get used to not having the mountain skyline if I had to move (but we plan on never moving - we LOVE living here).

My older sister moved to Denver in the eary 70s and I have visited many, many times. (Just out there for niece's wedding in June.) She raised her 2 kids in Littleton and still live in a neighboring suburb. They really enjoy the area. I always told people that if I were to move somewhere, it would be to the Denver area.

I spent the first 27 years of my life in Denver. I moved away back in 1992, but still have two sisters living there so I visit periodically.

Colorado is a great place to live. The winters are not so bad because even though it snows a bit, it is unusual to have snow on the ground for extended periods of time. It can happen...and has happened...but it is also common to have it snow one day and sunny the next and have all the snow disappear.

It can get cold (below zero cold), but, again, that is unusual and usually doesn't last very long. I would say that the majority of the winter is spent between the 20s and the 40s. And there is more sun that clouds.

The summers, in relation to Phoenix (my mother lives in Phoenix and I've felt your 115 degree temps!) are incredibly mild. The hottest temps in Denver are in the low 100's, and those are unusual. I would say the temps average in the high 80s/low 90s for much of the summer. Like Phoenix, Denver is a dry climate (not as dry as Phoenix, but it is still dry).

As far as where to live, I grew up in the western part of town. Since it sounds like you'd spend part of your time in the mountains, I recommend the southern part of Jefferson County (Littleton is part of Jefferson County) or the northern suburbs of Westminster (where my sisters live now), Broomfield, Longmont, etc.

One of the things I like the most about Denver (and there are quite a few things I like about Denver) is that the city, as a whole, is relatively well planned (there are problems, of course, but, for the most part, the city is well planned). There are plenty of parks and things like that for recreation (Colorado is, I do believe, the fittest state in the nation).

The schools are all right (my sister works for the Denver Public Schools and I worked for the Department of Education for years). I would say they are definitely on par with those in Arizona, though I'd be inclined to advise to live in an area where your kids aren't going to Denver Public Schools. Like many cities, the outlying school districts seem to not face the same issues (budgetary, etc) to the same degree as the central city district faces.

If I could afford to move back to Denver, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Good luck to you!

Thank you all so much for the posts! more and more are welcomed. I love CO!! We have visited Denver and stayed in the city and gone to Red Rocks for music of course ;) Most of our vacas have been to Telluride, Steamboat, Beaver Creek. We snowboard so that's where all our vacations are taken. it's funny, everybody in Phoenix takes their vacs in the summer to get away from the heat, we take ours to the snow in the winters, that people flock to not to freeze, LOL. We want to live in the Denver burbs so all opinions are welcome.
Thanks you all!! Happy Friday!

I lived in Colorado Springs and would move back to Colorado in a heartbeat. I would personally go west or north of Denver. I-25 was not made for the population explosion the Front Range has experienced and driving on it is a nightmare. IF you're already a big city person, you probably won't mind traffic though. Although if you do look south of the city, Elizabeth and Castle Rock are both nice areas.
Winters really are a piece of cake. You might get 1-2 feet of snow on occasion but you can be guaranteed a chinook will follow and it'll all be melted within 3-4 days. I wore a coat probably less than one month of the winter because of the heat from the sun and the worst sunburns of my life were in January/February in CO! :eek:
Congratulations on your move! I'm jealous, but the SOuth has grown on me so I'm pretty happy!
Becky

I live North of Denver, Broomfield actually and I love Colorado. I only ever lived in California, Montana and Colorado. Of course you get the ocean and Mountains in CA. The winters in Montana were so cold, and there was snow on the ground the whole winter. Colorado has a much more mild climate, no humidity etc.

I agree with CLango, you probably want to stay away from Denver Public Schools. Jefferson County is good area and includes Littleton and is easy access to the mountains. That's where all us Coloradoans go on the weekends!

Welcome to CO, let us know when you get here and we can have our own CO get together!! Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.