decreased/no cardio

kariev

Cathlete
So I wanted to know any good or bad outcomes from decreasing the frequency/duration of your cardio workouts in favor of lifting or completely getting rid of cardio and just focusing on weights. I know we are all different but just wanted to see whats everyones cardio frequency.

I think if I want to increase the weights I would limit the cardio to 45 minutes or so every other day, and do a 3 day split. If not focusing on strength gains, then 60-70 minutes of cardio every other day.

I liked the rotations I did that balanced cardio & weights throughout the week. 45-60 minutes per day of each or 1 circuit, 2 weights, 2 cardios i.e.

http://cathe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275308

this was a good one for splits
http://cathe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276322

Linda:)

I've given up "traditional" cardio for barre workouts for the last few months and have gotten truly amazing results. That being said, my heart rate will still get very high during some of the moves, giving them a bit of a cardio factor. But I haven't lifted anything heavier than five pounds or my body weight, so I'm not sure if it would work if you planned on lifting heavy.

I am solely focusing on muscle building with the accompanying "bulk" nutrition cycle and therefore have cut out all traditional cardio from my workout regime. I am currently lifting six days a week, split routines that hit each muscle group twice per week.

This is a totally different approach for me. For years, I have balanced weights and cardio with a nutritional deficit in hopes of losing those last pesky ten pounds, but without luck.

I did some research that said that in order to build muscle, you must be in a caloric surplus and cardio is not necessary in this period, and in fact may be detrimental to this muscle growth. So, for now, I have stopped the cardio.

After six months of this, I will start a "cut" that will hopefully reveal my "new" muscle. At this point I will add back the cardio and slooowly cut some calories. If all goes according to plan, come summer, I will be where I would like to be weightwise. Wish me luck!

I do cardio 5X per week for 45 minutes or so (excludes warmup & cooldown stretch). If I go below this, I put on fat very quickly (seems I can't decrease my intake enough to compensate, without being hungry all the time). I found this with STS and other weight rotations I have done. If I keep up my cardio and do weights 3X per week, I maintain quite nicely.

I must say I am intrigued by lauramangano's approach, though.

Stebby

I know it's not necessary to do cardio to maintain your weight and that too much cardio can decrease your muscle mass, but I just really enjoy cardio. I don't see how you can get the same level of energy from just lifting weights. No way I'd be as energetic during the day if I got up and lifted weights instead of getting up and going for a run.

Laura, I will be so interested in hearing how your approach works for you. I follow exactly what you have done in the past. 3 days cardio, 3 day split. Keep us posted.

I did very little cardio back in August. Mainly yoga. I go to a 50 min. dance class once a week.
Here is the rest of what I did (each only done once):
premix of Amy's Hi/Lo Knockout for about 30 minutes;
Patrick's Play Ball
Power Thighs from Cardio Barre Ultimate Advanced
Ballet Body by Jennifer Galardi
V-Core (Basic & Dynamic)
Tonique 1
DWTS - Swing Section only
Serpentine Belly Dance - Leg drills only
10MS Dance Your Body Thin
Serpentine Belly Dance - Choreography 1 only
Serpentine Belly Dance - Tucks, Shimmies, Choregraphy 2
Daily 30 minute walk 5x a week

I lost inches everywhere with the exception of my waist which stayed the same. Personally, I'd rather lose inches than pounds (not that I don't want to lose them too!)

I generally stick to low impact, low intensity cardio because high impact, high intensity ruins my appetite. I really felt less hungry when I did yoga. Didn't lose any weight during my rotation (but I was on vacation for part of it and my eating wasn't stellar). This was the one month I took off from writing a food journal.

I'm coming to the end of a BBL rotation but I think I will be going back to a mostly yoga rotation again. I felt great doing mostly yoga (my favorite form of exercise next to dance) and really improved in my practice.

Marcy

I have found that I need 2hrs of cardio/week to maintain. Doesn't matter how I split it up. More than that does nothing at all for me, and I get my best results when combining with heavy weights.

I just finished 5 weeks on the 4DS series, and am now moving onto 3 days of total body weight (2 are circuit, 1 is Muscle Max), and 2 days of TaeBo. So I still get my cardio factor in with my weights. I LOVE the High Step Challenge. It's my favorite workout of Cathe's and kicks my butt everytime I do it, and that's the type of circuit I prefer.

I can get by on only 1.5hrs of cardio/week, but after a couple of weeks, I begin to put on weight. I did this with the Gym Styles a couple of years ago. MWF GS, TR 45min of cardio. Just wasn't enough for me. Saw great results in fat loss initially. But after a month, the effects reversed.

Everyone is so different. You just need to try things and see what your body responds best to.

I will keep everyone posted on my progress and I'll let you know what has happened so far.

Starting in September, I slowly increased my calories by about 100 or so a day for a week. Then another 100 for the next week and so on. I did this to allow my body to get used to the increase in calories without feeling too bloated. I am now up to my "maintenance" calories of about 2200 a day. I will be increasing even more to around 2500 a day to gain muscle. This is in contrast to a very strict 1200-1600 calorie a day regime prior. Huge difference for me.

This was VERY scary for me because I thought that this, along with dropping the cardio, was going to result in a large amount of weight gain. In the beginning, I did feel heavier and my clothes are somewhat tighter, but my lifts are steadily increasing and I feel very strong in the gym. I have only gained about three pounds since Sept, and I am hoping that this is some beautiful muscle.

I am being realistic in knowing that there will be some accompanying fat gains, but I'm okay with this, since the plan is to start my cut in March and reveal the muscle. That's the plan anyway :D

I know it's not necessary to do cardio to maintain your weight and that too much cardio can decrease your muscle mass, but I just really enjoy cardio. I don't see how you can get the same level of energy from just lifting weights. No way I'd be as energetic during the day if I got up and lifted weights instead of getting up and going for a run.

My thoughts exactly. I enjoy cardio so much more than weight training. Having said that, I blame running for these skinny legs LOL. I think if I focused more on leg work and less on the running and cardio they would have more shape.:eek:

Me too. I use the cardio for my mental health. It does give me license to eat more carbs and not put on. Also, I want to maintain my cardiovascular fitness which will go away if it is not used or challenged. I don't want to get tired walking up a flight of stairs. Or worse, running from a burning building.

That said, I don't see why you would absolutely have to do more than 2-3 cardio workouts per week.

My thoughts exactly. I enjoy cardio so much more than weight training. Having said that, I blame running for these skinny legs LOL. I think if I focused more on leg work and less on the running and cardio they would have more shape.:eek:

I would trade my shapely/voluptuous legs for your skinny ones. I wonder how much the shipping would be for that?:p

RapidBreath said:
I would trade my shapely/voluptuous legs for your skinny ones. I wonder how much the shipping would be for that?:p

Lol that's A deal. My legs gain muscle only with hard work. They literlly have no shape and my poor 17 year old inherited the dame legs(along with lack of boob size) lol

i'm intrigued....how does the 'cut' process work? low fat diet and cardio?
i have all this muscle in my legs. how does the 'cut' process work? i guess that's similar to what body builders do. i wouldn't want it to be that extreme.

i'm intrigued....how does the 'cut' process work? low fat diet and cardio?
i have all this muscle in my legs. how does the 'cut' process work? i guess that's similar to what body builders do. i wouldn't want it to be that extreme.

The cut process works by slowly lowering calories, not necessarily fat, over a period of time making sure to keep protein and fat levels where they should be to spare muscle. You also have to keep lifting heavily, and add cardio back in, but sparingly.

This is my first attempt at this process. I have been doing lighter weights and cardio for years and not getting the body I want, so I thought it was time to try something different. Cuz seriously, how long could I stick with the same formula expecting a different outcome?

The cut process works by slowly lowering calories, not necessarily fat, over a period of time making sure to keep protein and fat levels where they should be to spare muscle. You also have to keep lifting heavily, and add cardio back in, but sparingly.

This is my first attempt at this process. I have been doing lighter weights and cardio for years and not getting the body I want, so I thought it was time to try something different. Cuz seriously, how long could I stick with the same formula expecting a different outcome?

Good point. Every time I change things up, thats when I lose weight and for some reason my body always adapts after about 25 pounds.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.