Damage Control-September!!

Hi all,

I've been reading and catching up on everyone's news. Diana, congrats on the job!! Working from home will be so nice for you. I'm thinking of doing a RWH rotation as well. Today I did LIHI C/S/T-the 4 set premix. I went as heavy as I could (not as heavy as Cathe, of course!) and eeked out a few of the finishers. I'm interested in seeing how the DOMS are tomorrow. It felt like I maxed out. DH and I then took a walk in the rain...

So on vacation DH toast to his retirement the first night there. I wasn't totally shocked, but was hoping he'd wait until we paid for one more semester of college-DS1 is done in May. Oh well. Here come some changes! I'm constantly reevaluating my job, too. As much as I like it, I don't like the hours. We'll see what happens and how late he stays up at night.

Other than that, vacation was great! We did a lot of walking and had 2 great days in the ocean. I finished The Bone Clocks and started my next book for book club-What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim. It's about a walk/hike on a trail in France and Spain. So far it's really good. The woman was looking for a way to celebrate her turning 50.

LL, your workouts sound really good considering your crazy schedule! Scheduling a workout everyday is the way to go!

Tina, what are you up to? Still working on painting? Sound like you and your family are lifting lots of weights together!

Beth

Hi Ladies,

I've been very lax on my workouts the past week. I do much better when I have a plan to follow. I'll be doing that today. I've been wanting to look into streaming options and purchased a chromecast yesterday. I also signed up for a free month of Daily Burn and have been set up with Bob Harper's Black Fire program. Most of these are shorter w/o's, but his w/o's are usually pretty difficult. I have several of his dvd's and they are pretty tough. Do any of you know if cathes on demand has the premixes? I purchased the downloads of her w/o's and they do not have the premixes. It was quite disappointing.

Yesterday I took a load of stuff to the ARC, and 2 bags of DS1's childhood books that he no longer wanted to the library. I found a facebook page to buy/sell/trade in my city so I hope to post a few things today. I also met with my coach and got my weight and measurements taken for this next challenge with runs through October. He has a new scale that measures muscle weight. My muscle weight was 104#'s which he said was great. I'm gonna have to thank STS for that.

LL-I remember those days well. I miss watching my kids activities but do not miss all the rushing around. I felt like someone was always left out because we couldn't make it to all the kids events. You are doing amazing with your w/o's. Scheduling them is very important, but don't beat yourself up if you miss one here and there.

Beth-it sounds like you had a wonderful vacation. What is DH's plan now that he's retired/retiring? My DH wants to retire at 55, we've crunched the numbers and just don't see that happening. His father died young (67) and his grandfather also died young. Neither one was able to retire or enjoy that time. DH plans on dying young and wants to have the retirement time to enjoy.

Tina-what are you up to this weekend?

...off to pick a w/o or two and get busy!

Hi ladies,

I officially started a RWH 30 day rotation. Today is Plyo 1 and Abs 1. I will probably also take a short bike ride with DH. I got good DOMS from yesterday's CST workout.

Diana, my DH is 62 and his plan is to not go to work anymore! I told him he can get ready for the yard sale! He's going in tomorrow to tell his boss and see what can be worked out with the vacation time he has left. He likes to read and find deals on eBay for the boys. I'll have him look for bigger dumbbells for me since I can never find any on sale. I got my 30 pound weight vest in the mail when we got home Friday. I already had to take 10 pounds out-it was really hard getting it over my head! I'll have to work up to the 30, I guess! 104 lbs. of muscle-totally awesome! I wish I could find out mine. Glad to hear stuff is leaving your house. Every day I've been going through somewhere-a drawer, a closet, a bookshelf, etc. to try to get rid of stuff. Maybe this is a midlife crisis thing for me? I don't know. I just want to simplify things!

Have a good rest of the weekend, all!

Beth

OMG- I did my first Black Fire workout named Strategic Endurance. 3 rounds of 3 exercises for 2 minutes. The exercises were hand release burpees step over a box and repeat (2 minutes), dips (2 minutes), butterfly sit ups (2 minutes). The burpees are so hard for me and hurt my feet (bunions). It was tough for sure. I started to do the second w/o-Body Weight Tabata, but there was a network issue and it wouldn't play GRRRR. Then I did RWH CST, those burners are no joke. Cathe is superhuman and so is anyone who can do all of those. I used the same weight as Cathe or heavier, those finishers were super tough. Pushups-yeah, did half of those on my knees, same with tricep pushups. I think I managed the decline pushups okay as well as the scarecrows and kickbacks.

Beth-Way to go with RWH. Glad you have a rotation scheduled. I use my Cathe vest, think it's 10#'s. I am looking forward to retirement myself. I don't think I would like having to go to work everyday when my DH stays home. Since your DH is older than you, you may be able to use some financial advantages. One of those advantages is to have your husband file and suspend for SS. This approach will allow you (the spouse) to receive 50% of his SS benefit now without impacting what he will get when he un-suspends, perhaps at age 65 or later. Make sure you look into all your options. We've gone to several retirement seminars since DH wants to retire early. Because we are the same age, this benefit doesn't really apply to our situation.

bbl

I bought Girls Gone Strong!! No wo's this weekend, sports in the rain yesterday and sports in the cold drizzle today!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay, so last week was a blur. I'm back to work and this week is the busiest of the year. Lots of extra projects around the school and of course this was the week FIL needed lots of help and the puppy had a severe allergic reaction and had to be rushed to the emergency vet twice. DD bought a brand new car and the garage doors were installed. I ended up not working out on Friday, which felt great! DH and I have been back and forth with when to start STS together, and he wants to wait until he is forced to cut back on cycling during the week. I'm going to continue doing STS as is in the morning and lifting with him in the evening on Monday and Wednesday.

Diana, congratulations on the job offer!! Working from home sounds ideal. Do you have an office space already set up? DH is in the middle of a job negotiation. I really hope the numbers work out, because this is a once in a life time opportunity. He's worked for the same company for 32 years, it's time for a change. That's amazing, your muscle weight!! I wish I could have that done as well. DH and I did the LIHI workouts last week and we were both very vocal during the finishers! How are your new steps coming along? Our new garage doors are such an improvement, it really gave the outside a much needed makeover.

LL, I can't wait to hear how you like the GGS program. I have to look that up later and see what that's about. I really don't miss the taxi mom days. I always had a van full going to soccer or dance. Between schooling and sports, it's amazing that you still find time to get your workouts in.

Beth, I'll be PMing you about the EBE workout. I'd like to mail it out to you this week. I was so gung ho in the beginning and it just isn't clicking for me. I hope you like them. Congrats on DH's retirement. Sounds like you have a lifestyle change coming your way. I don't know how I'll handle DH's retirement when it comes, we can become the Bickerson's pretty quickly if we're around each other too much. Did you enjoy The Bone Clocks? I'm in a reading rut, the last book I read was pretty gnarly and I could never recommend it but I can't wait for the sequel. I just downloaded a sample of In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware. So far, so good.

Off to get this crazy day started: workout, chicken duty, mow the school yard, laundry, laundry, laundry.

Hi Ladies,

My legs, shoulders and chest are so sore today. This morning I did Plyo Hiit 1 and abs. I do not think Cathe's cueing is great in this series. Once I have them down it won't be so bad. I ended up rewinding a few times so I didn't miss all the reps. It was a good thought, but I could not keep up with Cathe and crew on this one. I felt behind a lot and am sure I did fewer reps on several of the exercises.

The cement guys finished up on Friday and we now have a nice front step, not one that is crumbling with a huge crack in the middle. They also made the second step a bit deeper and it is so much nicer. DH wants me to call the bathroom guys and get an estimate on changing are huge jetted tub/shower into a walk in shower. The girls use the jetted tub when they are here, other than that it gets used a few times a year.

Tina-so glad to hear from you! Wow, DD bought a brand new car, that is awesome. I was 49 when I got my first brand new car. I saw that you started STS without DH. Will you simply start over when DH is ready? I'm going to give RWH and Black Fire a go for this month. BR may have to put on the back burner for now. So happy you got your new garage doors installed.

LL-let us know what you think of GGS!

bbl

Hi ladies,

Diana, my legs are very sore today from LIHI legs yesterday. The rotation has today as off which is good. I had the same experience with PH1-I had to stop the dvd and start over a few times. I think I got a decent workout, but like you I need to do it more to get used to the moves.

Tina, you and Diana are getting your houses in shape! Glad the garage doors look good. I'll keep an eye out for the PM-I don't really know what to look for though as I've never had a PM before! Forgive my computer technical skill. At least I finally got a picture in the computer for the forum! Gosh, this year has gone fast. I can't believe it's already the middle of Sept.

LL, how is the routine going? What total bodies are you doing this week? I really like how the RWH are about 45 minutes or less. I still get lots of walks in and don't feel drained like I can get doing the max workouts. I can't wait to see what Cathe does with weights in ICE.

Off to figure out something for dinner!

Beth

Hi Ladies,

This morning LIHI Legs. I did have to rewind a couple times and pause to catch my breath to. This series is no joke. I completed all the pre-employment paperwork last night and have to be drug tested later today. They are also starting the background check. As long as everything goes as anticipated, my start date is Oct. 5th.

Beth-The cue's are a bit off in this series IMO. It will be fine once I get the w/o's down though. Enjoy your well deserved rest day! You will receive an email with the private message, and you can access them at the top of the forum next to your username. Hope that helps.

LL-how are you keeping up with everything....school, sports, w/o's, etc.? My guess is you are very organized!

Beth-what are you up to today?

bbl

Last night was our first night ride of the year. Such a bummer we have to charge the bike lights up again. This summer went too fast! This morning will be STS Back and Tri's. I'll add in one of the STS abs segments and the stretch.

Diana, I'm so excited that you'll be starting this new job! I'm planning on finishing this month of STS, take the rest week, and then restart meso 1 with DH the following week. This will give us time to purchase all the extra equipment. I wish I could find someone that sells a short padded barbell with quick release caps. I spent a fortune in my 20's buying The Firm barbell, plates and chrome dumbbells. It was so pricey, but it will last forever. I still use the tall box from them too. LIHI legs moves quick, DH and I have only done it a few times together. I'm hoping ICE will be similar but slower in the switch ups.

Beth, I'm going to try and figure out the PM feature. You should get an alert in the upper right when you sign in. I hope you like the set! :)

LL, how is everything going?

Hi Ladies,

This morning I did Intensity! I just love the step work and am always looking forward to moving on to the floor work. This was not my best performance for sure. I took 2 rest/water breaks during the step section. I haven't done steady state cardio in a while and it shows. I think tonight will be RWH Back, biceps and rear delts...I think that's what it is. Tomorrow morning I can do one or two (depending on time) of the Black Fire w/o's. The next 2 w/o's are 30 mins and tough! They make me feel like I've never exercised in my life.

Tina-I wish I wanted to ride more. It's just not fun riding by myself. Another barbell would be great for me too, especially for STS. It's just such a pain to get the barbell on and off of the power tower when it is so heaver...move the bench and risers out of the way and hope I don't hurt myself lifting it off and putting it on the ground. Another thing that would be nice to have is a regular weight bench with a bar. All this equipment would take up a lot of room though.

Hi LL and Beth!

Hi ladies,

Diana, my legs were still sore from LIHI Legs so I ended up doing Rockout Knockout yesterday instead of the low impact hiit on the schedule. Today is BBS for me. I'll probably add on some type of cardio too. I think all of us dream about more and more weights! I've got DH looking for two 30lb. dumbbells for me on craigslist, eBay and the local Facebook yard sale. Also on my wish list: an ez curl bar, weight plates that are magnetic and stick on your barbell, new sneakers, a squat rack (that would probably entail lot more weights), a punching bag hanging from the ceiling....maybe someday! So happy about your new job for you!

Tina, I agree, summer went way too fast. At least you don't have to worry about a tsunami on your side of the country!

Have a great day.

Beth

Hi Ladies,

I didn't sleep very well last night and didn't have the energy to work out this morning. Today is our 27th wedding anniversary. DH is cooking steaks on the grill tonight for us. It's the Bronco game too. I'm totally okay with staying home. We've planned a weekend getaway at the Stanley Hotel in October for our anniversary. The Stanley is the hotel where the Shining was filmed. They have haunted rooms that you can stay in at a premium price. I'm happy we are going in October since the leaves should be changing then. There should be be some nice scenery.

I'm stressing about when to tell my boss about my new job. I want to wait until I get the email indicating they have completed all the necessary background screening and have my drug test results back. To give 2 weeks I would have to tell her on Monday, the 21st. They want me to go to Columbus, OH on Oct 1st & 2nd. Also, we are having an all hands meeting Sept 24th-26th with the rest of the company and my team flying in for. It will be nice to meet everyone in person. Oh, and my boss is taking PTO from September 28th-Oct. 2nd. The timing is terrible, but I have to do what's best for me and my family.

Beth-My legs were definitely feeling it during my cardio w/o yesterday. Between Black Fire and RWH legs, my legs are certainly sore. My heaviest DB's are 35's and I would like some 40's at some point. I'm not in any hurry though. I recently purchased a new pair of running shoes simply because I had a 20% coupon. They are still in the box.

Hi Tina & LL.

bbl

Happy 27th Anniversary, Diana! Glad to hear hubby is cooking-less dishes when it's off the grill. Give the two weeks and be done...all you can do. It will be better for you and if you let them know that, they'll understand. I had training today for new computer charting at work. Once I get past the learning curve I think I'll be ok. I arranged it so this weekend I work the 2nd shift which is 2-10. It allows me to watch soccer Sat. and Sun. and to sleep in a bit and work with different people. Sometimes the same shift can get monotonous! Off to bed now-up at 4:50 tomorrow morning.

Beth

Hi all! Busy week! But I got my workouts in every day! Maybe not what I planned but close.

Monday: LIS TB Total body express 45 min plus TTM step Tabata 11 min
Tuesday: RWH low impact 2 bonus abs 2- 39 min
Wednesday: I'll Max Premix total body 52 min this was more moderate wts than I wanted, but it was fine
Thursday: I had LBB planned for Tuesday, then switched it to today because of timing, but I was so tired I slept in up then felt groggy all morning, it's almost as if working out is my morning coffee, I don't drink coffee. But Hubby was at State Colle for a work conference all day and WWIII broke out at 5:30 (B was angered at me for not letting him talk to his friend next door who had come and rang our doorbell to play. B had about 20 min to finish homework, change into his soccer uniform and eat dinner to make practice on time. So he got violent and took a screwdriver to the PC monitor while JTrain watched and then set up my iPhone to secretly video tape him. B had gone down to Hubby's tool box and got s hammer. Thankfully the only thing he had broken with it was a partially already broken plastic pencil box). So I called my father in law asking for advice and he suggested I separate them all and put them to bed early. I did, well tried. So that would have been 30 min earlier for each so it should have been 8, 8:30 and 9. They were all in bed by 9. So I needed to relieve some stress so I did PRS 2 premix mix 1&2 33 min. Just what I needed! And then made some chocolate chip cookie dough! I was morning interested in fun than a calorie burner.

Today I over slept and while I had planned MM express, I only had time for lower body 23 min
Tomorrow I have CF planned but I've only done abs once this week so I may add them or do something that has abs.

So I've been emailing with GGS and I think I have my plan for the next 4 weeks it's a 2 week plan and then repeats. That is block A and there are 3.

M- strength training workout A 30-40 min plus 6-10 min HiiT
T- moderate intensity cardio 30 (MIC)
W- workout B optional 6-10min HiiT
T- abs (but this can be added to any day)
F- workout A
S- off
S- off
Same but MWF would be workout B then A then B

Block B increasing some time on HiiT and frequency as does the MIC.

Each strength training workout involves 3 supersets so A1&2 sets then rest and repeat 2 more times. And in the manual there are alternatives if I don't have the equipment. The only one I have to buy something for, I think, is the chin up bar, which I've thought about getting. And I would like to get a foam roll for the warm ups. So combined maybe about $30. Now I just need to figure out what music to do with it! After block A, I will take a week off and do Cathe. If I can be without her for that long!

I hit send too fast. But I figured out that I can go back and edit!

I'm not wild about the meal plans I spent an extra $20 on, but the jury is still out for the nutritional guide, it's just so long!!

Time for bed! Only 2 games tomorrow morning back to back!

Last edited:
I hit send too fast. I had the schedule a bit wrong, it is supposed to be 1-2x per week HiiT and 1 MIC. I'm not wild about the meal plans I spent an extra $20 on, but the jury is still out for the nutritional guide, it's just so long!!

Time for bed!

Hi Ladies,

Yesterday I only walked at lunch and the day before I also walked. This morning I ran 5.3 miles then did RWH BSB and abs. I was pooped after all that. MIL is taking us to dinner tonight for our anniversary. We are going to Outback, salmon is sounding good at the moment.

LL-{{{Hugs}}} So sorry you had such a rough day with the boys. My boys always behaved much better when DH was around. GGG sounds pretty interesting. I've looked at Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer program on bodybuilding.com numerous times. I think it may be similar to Cathe's STS. Great job keeping up with your workouts!!!

Beth-Glad you were able to work the shifts that you want this week! I want to give 2 weeks notice, but not until I hear back from the new company that all the pre-employment steps have been completed. That may not happen until the middle to end of next week. My start date is Oct.5th.

Tina-what are you up to this weekend?

bbl

Hi all,

LL, I feel your struggles with the boys. Glad you have back up. One day at a time...and it's probably only a phase. Sometimes I'd put myself in time out just to think things through! Good job keeping up with your workout!

Diana, BSB is fun! I had my barbell too heavy last time I did it so I modified the workout. I'm going off the rotation already and did Bulk Chest yesterday. Today is supposed to be PH 2 with Abs 2. I may take a rest day though-staying up past 10 last night has thrown me off schedule.

DH is officially retired.

Beth

Hi Ladies,

Today was RWH LIHI CST and abs 1. My arms/triceps were trembling during the plank portion of the abs section. With this being my second time on the w/o, I did much better with the finishers. I'm still not up to par with Cathe, but hopefully I'll get there. I use 30's for all the chest work, but struggle getting 15 toe pushups (7 toe/3 knee-which is better than last time). The tricep pushups are always a struggle, but I did 10 on my knees this time. The chest finishers are very tough for me, I do fine on all the rest.

Grocery shopping, laundry, mowing the lawn are all on the agenda for today.

Beth-Enjoy your rest day. That is exactly the reason I don't schedule rest days and just take them as they come. Wow, DH's retirement happened fast. How do you feel about that? Will you be retiring soon?

bbl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.