Damage Control August!!!

Beth-B-Fit

Cathlete
Hi all,

Went on a bike ride today and got caught in a soaking rainstorm. It felt good to be outside and my hip flexor/quad seems ok. I started another round of whole30 today. DH is doing it with me-in his own way. He still won't give up his Cheerios. What's everyone up to this week? Any rotation plans for August? Do tell!

Beth

Oops, I didn't see that Beth created the new thread.

Hi Ladies,

I thought I'd start the new months thread. What do you all think about setting some monthly goals? I'd thought it would be nice to share our goals, have some accountability, and support each other. My weight has been up a tad and I'd really like to get it down a bit.

My August Goals
  1. Lose 5lbs-looking for my bodyfat measurer to see if I lose bodyfat even if I don't lose weight
  2. Lift the rear-targeted glute training 2x/wk
  3. Ab Definition-add weighted ab work 2-3x/wk
I will reach my goals by eating well 90% of the time and sticking to my workouts! I will be checking in with all of you on a regular basis.

Today I did BR Day 4 in the a.m. and LIHI Legs & abs at lunch.

What is everyone else up to?

ttyl

Hi all,

Diana, I love the setting goals idea! My August goals:

1. Eat whole30 (my way-some paleo). The biggest help this is to me is to help me stick to no processed foods at work-hello cannollis someone brought in last week that I had to try.

2. Follow this ab challenge calendar I printed off to add to daily workouts-yesterday was 50 crunches and 2 60 sec. planks. Every day there's two exercises to tack on which looks doable.

I think that's it for me. I'll continue the rotation I'm on-today is Intensity +50 bicycles and 2 more planks.

Diana, 2 workouts a day is going to get you fit fast!

Beth

Hi Ladies,

This morning I did BR Day 5. This is a 45 minute cardio/ab circuit. This is counting as one of my weighted ab w/o's for this week. I'm hoping to get to Xtrain Bi's & Tris but I have meetings most of the afternoon. If not today, then tomorrow. I'm going to drink lemon water every morning for the rest of this month. It's a great way to detox the body and aids in elimination. This is something that is done on the 21 day fresh start program. I'm not expecting any miracles here, but would like to see if it makes a difference. I'm also cutting out dairy (not saying much since the only dairy I have is fage 0% anyway), other than the dairy in my whey protein powder. I've been up about 3lbs for the last couple months and they are just not budging.

Who's ordering the new series? I will be for sure.

Beth-sorry to hear you got caught in the rain. Where did you find the ab challenge? Whole30 really helps me get in my veggies. I haven't been as good about that since I started working from home. Well I was planning on starting STS, but think I will wait until the rest of you are ready to start so we can do it together. Right now I'm doing Xtrain and am looking for an Xtrain/RWH rotation. I try to get in some kind of cardio each day, hence the BR w/o's/. I just feel better if I can get the blood flowing in the morning.

Hi to LL and Tina.

bbl

Hi all,

PUB, 50 burpees, and 50 butt kicks done! Eating is going well. I've been doing a protein shake after workouts and have been able to avoid snacking that way. The Ab Challenge is from a Facebook feed I get called Fitness Cafe. It's actually called a 30 day beach body challenge, but has a lot of ab work. It's all stuff you can do without weights and since we're planning a beach trip in Sept. I figured I'd give it a shot! I'm glad you're waiting to do STS in Oct. It'll be fun to do it together. I'm definitely ordering the new series.

Beth

Hi Ladies,

I didn't workout and ate horribly yesterday. I still tracked it all in myfitnesspal. #accountability I opted not to weigh this morning, but will be back on the scale tomorrow morning. It was one of those days I had all planned out, but my work meetings kept being rescheduled and threw my workout off the calendar basically. No excuse for bad eating though.:( My morning workouts really help me set the tone for the day and aid in making better food choices. I did get in my 10K steps by walking with DS1 and the girls after dinner.

This morning I ran for 30 minutes-ran the whole time! It helps that its 20 degrees cooler than yesterday-mid 70s is our high for today and tomorrow. I would like to start running on a more regular basis but I need to wait for it to cool down. I can't take the heat like I used to. Later today will be XTrain Bi's, Tri's, abs, and my glute work.

DS1's new part-time job is becoming a full time job. He is giving his 2 weeks notice today and will be moving to San Diego in the near future. I'm sad that he is moving away, but he and his girlfriend are very happy together. DS2 is still looking for a job....GGRRR. DS3 was registering for his classes and I realized I never did the FAFSA..UGH. I took care of that last night.

Beth-Wow, 50 Burpees...impressive!!! The BR w/o's have a lot of burpees in them too. I'll have to check out Fitness Café, sounds like a good add in to your w/o's. It's nice to change things up and keep you body challenged. I'm hoping getting back to running will do that for me. I think your book should arrive today.

Waving hi to LL and Tina!

bbl

Hi all!

Diana, I got the book-thanks! I'm anxious to read what they have to say about beans and greek yogurt, especially. I fell off the whole30 wagon today-made some zucchini chocolate cake and had a piece. Can I blame it on hormones even though I think I'm through the change?! I'm feeling a little stressed today for sure-going back to work tomorrow and it's daunting at times. One day at a time, though, right?

Today's workout was Great Glutes-only the second time I've done that dvd. I did the premix with all the chapters then added in 200 sit-ups and 100 speed skaters. That GG is a pretty good workout-all but the first section (compound exercises) were pretty tough. My quads feel good and worked now! I did the burpees 5 at time and even did the push up part. It helped taking breaks.

Speaking of the fasfa...PSU has a new billing system and our account is all screwed up. DS2 has to get on and do some stuff in it before he can get his loans. Of course, we only have 9 more days to get it all done. Grrr. They should give us extra time to pay since they changed the system. We might be taking a fast trip down there to get it straightened out.

Good job running for 30 minutes, Diana. Running takes the pounds off fast. I wish I enjoyed it more. You still got your steps in yesterday and will just have to do damage control today for yesterdays glitch-off to a great start with that run, for sure.

Off to shower and read...!

Beth

Quick update here!

I'm down in Charlotte, NC visiting by best friend. We have been waking a mile and a half daily with her big dog and 2 young kids 3.5 and 2 and Little K who is the big boy here. We did 2 wo's together Monday and Tuesday: ICE Total Metabolic Body if that's he name a 30 min premix and then Tuesday we did CF premix 30 min with something and firewalker tabata and she broke my green loop. Bummer. I'm not sure Cathe has them anymore. Yesterday was off today we walked 3 mi and I did ICE To the Matt premix no bands. I had not brought the bands just the blue and green loops. For my last two days I hope to do TTM less impact and party Rockin step the less dancey one.

I need to be with my friend but I want to respond about goals. Later. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No they don't. Bummer. Also I wish she had tank tops with the Cathe logo. I wouldn't wear tshirts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ladies,

I've been dragging all day today. I haven't been sleeping well and it's catching up with me. I did do BR Day 7 this morning and the last segment was all glute work! The scale was very ugly today. :( I ate well yesterday, but its all the carbs from the previous day still hanging on. I'm drinking tons of water today and eating plenty of protein/veggies. I am having some cherries as a snack...better than chocolate, right. I stopped buying the Ghirardelli dark chocolate and will see how it goes. So far so good. I noticed after doing whole 30 that the dark chocolate did not sit well with me.

Beth-glad you got the book, enjoy! Whole 30 is very restrictive, Paleo may be a better option for me. Yep, you can blame hormones, they are forever changing over the course of our life. Plus, you still have to enjoy your life. I found your 30 day challenge and may join you.

LL-sounds like you are having fun with your friend. sorry about the broken loop, but I did see some fitness loops available on amazon. You are getting in tons of steps and great workouts on your visit! Great job!

Waving Hi to Tina...pop in when you can.

bbl

Hi all,

LL, good to "see" you! So nice you and your friend can work out together. I've had loops break before-check amazon and e-bay. I don't know anybody in real life that has even heard of Cathe where I live. There was one woman at church who did the Firm who I met 20 years ago. Most people here go to the local school for aerobics. They are supposed to open a spin center this fall. DH is even interested in that! He's probably be the only guy. Anyway...nice you can work out with someone else who appreciates Cathe!

Diana, I am dragging today too and am doing a rest day-including the challenge. I spent over 10 hours at work-the last 45 minutes on a wound vac. I might look at paleo more,too. I am not as unbloated if I cheat one little bit at whole30. It might not be worth it. My face broke out today after the cake...but it was good!

Beth

Hi all,

Finally got a shorter day at work today! Was feeling energized so came home and did the X-train LIHI Extreme followed by 100 switch kicks and Russian twists to failure with my medicine ball. US women are beating France...I'm off to see the rest of the match. What are you all up to? Do you watch the Olympics?

Beth

Hi Ladies,

I finally slept last night, and it felt so good. I didn't get up until 8:30 this morning which is pretty late for this girl. I visited with girls and DH while I drank my coffee and read the news. My workout today was RWH HCLB with abs premix and 200 hip lifts with a 50lb barbell. I did 100 with my feet up on the bench and 100 with my back on the bench. It was tough towards the end, but I broke them up into sets of 25. I used to do with a 75# barbell. I have my work cut out for me.

I think tomorrow I may do Imax 3 and one of the Tri Sets UB premixes and abs. I finally found the RWH/Xtrain rotation so my play with that for a few weeks.

I found out the other day that one of my previous co-workers was in the ICU with organ failure. I heard last night that he has been moved to hospice. This is so sad. He's only in his 30's. He is one of the smartest people I know. He's a programmer/coder...super intelligent and just an all around great guy. My heart is breaking for his wife and family. I've been hearing it may have been un-diagnosed hepatitis. So sad.

Beth-great job on your w/o! I don't know how you come home from work energized, but am glad you did. You'll have to let us all know what the book says about dairy and legumes. I know humans should consume human milk in infancy and that we no longer need it after that. You may be interested in Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman. I think it's a very good book.

Waving hi to Tina and LL.

bbl

Guess it's me again...Imax 3 and Tri Sets UB premix is done...along with all the laundry plus mowing/trimming the lawn. Off to the grocery store!

Diana,

So sorry to hear about your former coworker. It's upsetting at so many levels. Working with extremely sick and dying people everyday never gets easier. I still don't even know how to comfort families-everything sound so lame. Giving a hug and just being there for the family is all you can do. It makes you appreciate your own health and family and living each day to its fullest. It sounds like you had a very busy weekend! Going on vacation creates more work when you get back. I can't believe you did both IMAX 3 and the upper body premix. That is one long workout-even if you broke it up.

I just ordered the Strong and Sweaty series. Todays workout is a bike ride with DH then lunch and cards this afternoon. I'm hoping to get some cleaning done. Eating is going pretty good. I'm back up a couple of pounds, but feeling more muscular-if you can feel that way. I'm not going to worry so much about the scale number for a while and just eat as clean as possible (with some wine) and workout. I had some oat bran hot cereal for breakfast and will see how that sits. I haven't had any oat products since the whole30 in June.

Beth

Hi Ladies,

Yesterday I did BR Day 9. Today is legs, probably CLB. I ordered the strong and sweaty series too. My weight is finally moving back down, so frustrating. One day of bad eating took well over a week to get rid of. I'm still tweaking my diet a bit, but staying away from the white carbs is really a necessity for me. Oh, and I stopped buying chocolate. Interestingly enough, I've been doing okay without it. I may do another round of Whole30 after the girls leave. It would be great if I could get DH to it with me. I'll do my version though.

I'm still reading The Miracle Morning and highly recommend it. It is along the lines of a self help book. I'm not practicing it YET, but plan on it once I finish the book. My next book is going to be The Four Agreements.

My former coworker passed away Sunday morning, he was only 33. I plan on going to his funeral tomorrow. He was such an intelligent, caring and kind man. He leaves behind his wife, parents, and 3 sisters. I can't imagine the pain his wife is going through.

Beth-yay for feeling muscular!!! You work hard and there is much more to fitness than scale weight! I'm feeling like my abs are denser, still no definition though. I plan on working on my August goals through Nov or Dec. It's not something that will happen in a few weeks. How was the oat bran cereal?

Waving hello to LL and Tina.

Hi all,

Diana, the cereal was fine. I don't think I have any real food issues except for the time I ate pasta and literally fell asleep 20 minutes later-it was like being drunk or hungover. I could not function at all. Today I've read the 2nd part of the It Starts with Food book about why they suggest not eating sugars, grains, dairy, alcohol, legumes, some oils, and some additives and artificial things like aspartame. Interesting to read that grains and beans don't give you much nutrition and that all fiber and nutrients you need are in fruits and veggies. DH has now given up yogurt, breads, and orange juice. He's slowly coming around to whole30....will probably never get fully there due to his breakfast cereal. I'm slowly purging my kitchen of non compliant whole30 foods-used the last of the whole wheat flour in DS1's waffles today. It's a process...I have a whole bag of stuff for the food pantry to take over next week when I'm on vacation again.

Workout wise today was LIHI BSB. Then I did the 50 squats and 50 superman challenge. I'm a couple of days behind, but yesterday was a 75 minute bike ride and stretching and it felt like that was enough for the day!

I'm off now to make zucchini parmesan without the parmesan! So just zucchini in tomato sauce with some spices!

Beth

Hi Ladies,

I went to the service for my co-worker. It was very nice. His parents didn't want anyone wearing black, instead we were told to wear blue which was his favorite color. This service was really a celebration of his life. His friends and family told funny stories about him growing up. it was just lovely. At the end, they had a balloon release. We were all given balloon and told to write whatever we wanted to tell him, then they were released into the sky. He was only 33, it's just so sad.

Beth-I don't have any real food issues either. I'm not sure I will ever be 100% whole30, but do understand the background. I'm going to enjoy my occasional glass of wine and celebrate special occasions without regret. Glad to hear DH is coming along too. My DH likes white bread, I think the wheat is problematic for his gout. I'm going to try making some protein pancakes and other combinations of healthy foods that against the grain of whole30. I only got as far as printing off the 30 day challenge, but I haven't even started it.

bbl

Hi all,

Tough day at work for me. Not only was corporate there, but we were getting surveyed (yearly assessment) by the state, and the feds were there to assess the state. Not too much stress! I came home mentally drained and did just the LLA workout. It felt good to do something fairly easy and not think too much. I'm sticking with this rotation! If I feel like adding on or changing the workout to something with the same idea I consider it sticking to it!

Diana, what a nice way to say good-bye to your former coworker.

Beth

Sorry I've been MIA. We were on vacation last week and just didn't stop. We did 171 miles of biking, climbed Mt. Washington, and kayaked four days, around 8 hours total. I need a vacation from our vacation. We lost two workers at the barn, so it's only three of us taking care of 20 horses. This is my first day off this week. I promised DD I would try her Shawn T DVD this morning, it's called Cize. I also need to do GS BSB this morning, I was too tired to join DH last night. The weather here is miserably hot, so I'm not sure if I'll join DH in a bike ride tonight. I'm sensing a few rest days coming up.

Diana, I'm so sorry to hear about your co-worker. I love that idea of not wearing black. Your goals this month are very motivating for me. I've been on auto-pilot and need to refocus.

Beth, your dedication to Whole 30 is fantastic! Your work schedule sounds grueling. I don't know how you find time to workout in between shifts. Way to go on your workouts this month! :)

LL, your vacation sounds very relaxing. Are you getting ready for school yet?

BBL to check in on everyone. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.