Cooper Institute?

dr.mel_PT

Cathlete
I'm a FT student and I work PT, but I'm looking for another PT job. I used to be a certified personal trainer and would LOVE to train again, but the cost is just way too much for me right now. I asked if any gyms either pay or help pay for a PT cert, and my friend mentioned Cooper Institute. I never heard of it. Is it legit?

Oh and if anyone can point me in the direction of a gym (if any) that help with the cert, please let me know!!!

Never heard of Cooper, I was certified Aerobics Instructor-Level 4 with American Council on Exercise. In MI, it is impossible to ensure a person whom is not certified for exercise and with Red Cross CPR so here a person must have these certifications and then may go through some re-training from the club. A friend of mine teaches one of the few advanced classes in the area b/c of liability, she has to screen intensely her new students as well as the club.

I've heard of the Cooper Institute, but not lately. It was founded by the guy who is considered the father of aerobic exercise (IIRC, he died of a hear attack while jogging?).

I don't recall seeing any instructors claiming to have certiication through them. More ACE, AFAA, NASM...

I've heard of the Cooper Institute also, but would not get my certification from there since they are not one of the big ones. If you are planning on working for a gym it is a good idea to contact the PT manager at the gym and ask which certifications they prefer.

I think it's still around and so is Dr. Cooper. Kenneth Cooper, M.D. think it was in Texas. should be able to google it. I read a book by him once. think he had a wife named Millie who wrote about getting fit by running. this must have been in the late '70's.

There was another famous guy who died while jogging, Jim something? Fitz? something like that. He was famous because he lost a lot of weight, claimed because of running he was able to eat anything and not gain weight, was a big promoter of running, but collapsed and died suddenly.... while running. sad.

I think it's still around and so is Dr. Cooper. Kenneth Cooper, M.D. think it was in Texas.

Yes, I believe there are 2 Cooper Institutes. I know for sure one of them is in Dallas, Texas. The Institute in Dallas is on a large piece of land that has a pool, tennis courts, an indoor gym, and even a guest lodge. DH and I actually stayed at the lodge and had a good time (got to use the gym for free). I remember that they offer on-site seminars--maybe online too--for certification, but I agree with PPs that the most cost effective thing to do would be to get the certification that your gym wants instructors to have.

Dr. Cooper is alive, well, still practicing medicine and lecturing to personal training students at least once a month in Dallas. You can take a course in Dallas or online. Their certification exam is in testing centers nationwide.

There was another famous guy who died while jogging, Jim something? Fitz? something like that. He was famous because he lost a lot of weight, claimed because of running he was able to eat anything and not gain weight, was a big promoter of running, but collapsed and died suddenly.... while running. sad.

Jim Fixx?

Yes, Dr. Cooper is still around. He is considered the father of aerobics. Gilda Marx, whose routine Jane Fonda stole for her video and studio, used to work with Dr. Cooper. He's legit, but I think most use CI for continuing education and research.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.