Cool down question

Jul

Cathlete
here is probably a dumb question, but I'll risk embarrassment & ask anyway!
happy.gif
I always feel very strapped for time when I exercise. On days that I go over 50 minutes, I am usually exceeding the speed limit on my way to work!! In order to cram in as much hard exercise time as I can, I skimp on the cool down. I cool down for a minute or two, typically even marching in place while I take my vitamins or pour myself milk, etc.. I never stretch afterwards. Aside from slowly reducing my heartrate, which I think I do okay with, what am I missing out on? Maybe if I hear why it is so important, I may be more inclined to cool down longer. Thanks!!

Good question!

Many times I also am struggling to find a whole hour to workout, 45-50 minutes is much more manageable! My cooldowns sometimes consist of the mad dash out the door variety, you know, sprints to the shower, stretches while dressing kids and putting their shoes on, etc. I am so looking forward to the new Cathe 6 pack crosstrainers. Since it's hard to get in 6 days a week or an hour everytime, I plan to use the cardios for short intense(hopefully) workouts. There will be time at the end of the cardios for a short stretch. Too bad we aren't getting a DVD player, but just can't justify it for exercise videos alone. I'll be interested in any answers we get from our experts.
Leslie

Cooling down is important!!!!!

and so is stretching. Over time, you lose flexibility and increase your chance of injury. Also to stop exercising abruptly can cause blood to pool in the legs. Your body needs a chance to gradually return to normal. You could experience lightheadedness or even pass out! However, a quick cooldown is better than none at all as is a quick stretch. Walk around for a few moments, then stretch any muscles you perceive as tight. You might also try this. After the kids are in bed, take a nice candle lit bath to warm up your muscles, then get out, put on your p.j.'s and stretch to quiet music or a wave tape. You'll improve flexibility and be in a nice relaxed state for sleep!

Here here!

Honestly, I'm surprised anyone who doesn't stretch after working out finds the motivation to keep exercising! It's rough enough to work hard and stretch well, I don't even want to remember how it feels not to stretch! All I can do is echo Forgetful's thoughts and encourage everybody to STRETCH!

I've done the thing with the hot bath and stretching out when I've been especially sore, it's really helpful and does wonders for my sleep! I'd really recommend that you get a good stretch tape and do that after your hot bath, or maybe que up the stretch segment from a tape that has a longer than average stretch, like Step Fit or the very end of Body Max. Those are very relaxing!

Cooldown vs Warmup

Iam often short on time and I find that it is better for me to cut the warmup short instead of the cooldown. I will only warmup for about 2-3 minutes with no stretching. If you have to choose a cooldown vs a warmup I personally think that a cooldown is more important. So I would recommend that you cut your warmup short and not your cooldown and to make sure you do some stretches in the cooldown.

Warmups are necessary for better fat burning....

I just read this in Covert Baily's Ultimate Fit or Fat book... He states that "exercise preceded by a warm-up launches the muscles into fat-burning sooner than exercise started at full bore."

He also says that starting to exercise without a proper warm-up puts you into an anaerobic state much more quickly... "The small capillaries that are woven around your muscles are collapsed when the muscles are cold.. they don't open up until the muscle temperatures rises. That means oxygen isn't delivered and fat isn't burned until you warm up."

Covert also suggests that your heart is a muscle that needs to warm up especially if you plan to double your heart rate from your resting rate... and the more intense your workout the longer you need to warm-up...

I've been taking my time with my warm-ups lately making sure I don't get into my THR until I've properly warmed up and I've been finding my workouts to be very productive lately....

I'm not so sure that cutting the warm-ups is the way to go... but cutting the cooldown short isn't either.... it's important to stretch those muscles to prevent injury...

Lydia L

Can't skip warm-up!

I go from sleeping to exercising (at 4:45 a.m.) so I HAVE to have a good warm-up. I was just concerned about not cooling down long enough and stretching. I read somewhere about when you stop abruptly, the blood in the legs tends to pool there and not pump back up to the heart. Because I have varicose veins on both legs pretty bad (I will have the veins on both legs stripped this summer, for the second time on one leg
sad.gif
) I am especially concerned about this. Cathe, or any medical person?? Can you help?? Thanks!
happy.gif

varicose veins question

Hope you don't mind my asking - can you explain what happens when your legs are stripped? I have bad varicose veins also - especially in one leg, and I'm thinking about getting something done about them. Thanks!
Erica

don't mind at all!

When they stripped the veins in my left leg (last Feb.) I was completely knocked out in a hospital. They did an ultrasound and mapped the veins on my legs with a marker on my skin. They made several incisions on the inside of my leg and actually pulled the veins out with something similar to a knitting needle from what I understand. I really did not want to know all the gory details so I asked them not to tell me everything. I figured ignorance is bliss and it just scared me. I knew I needed the surgery because I couldn't even go to the grocery without being in pain, plus they are ugly! I had an ace bandage wrap on for a week and had to shower with my leg in a garbage bag! It was completely black and blue and throbbed. It did help my pain considerably. This time I went to a different doctor because I was hoping I could have one of the less invasive procedures done. No such luck. But the good news is, they will do both legs (on different days) in the doctor's office and I will be awake the whole time. They said I could even read a book! they also said that I will only wear a bandage for 2 days and would be up and around much sooner because they will make tiny incisions up and down my leg starting at the upper thigh. I will not have scars like I do from my last procedure. (I wish I had known about this doctor before my last surgery!!) The whole thing sounds pretty yucky but when I can stand up without pain, i will know it was worth it! If you have other questions I will try to help!

Thanks Jul!

I have very ugly protruding varicose veins, but no pain at all. Would you go through the procedure for cosmetic reasons only?
Best wishes for your second procedure!!
Erica

depends . . .

on how these two new procedures go. Based just upon my last one, I would say NO! But this new doctor is telling me that it will be MUCH easier, so ask me again after July 19! Hopefully it will go smoothly and I can answer you yes!
happy.gif

sclerotherapy & this whole vein thing

Hi Jul & Erica, I hope it's OK to jump in this vein thing but I have been reading it with interest since I am having sclerotherapy this Weds. (I'm hopeful the results will be good but have heard from a friend it's slightly torturous). Jul, did your doctor tell you that hard aerobic exercise (like the pounding from stepping or running) would make your veins worse? I'm wondering because I have an explosion of spider veins on my left thigh and I seem to be getting more since I have been working out harder with Cathe & Firm tapes as well as running/walking intervals. I'm sure it could be age too (I'm 45); I always thought of the problem as more cosmetic but they do ache now after a hard workout. The doctor doing this is injecting a saline soloution and then wrapping them in ace bandages & then I have to wear heavy duty support hose (they are thick!) for two days BEFORE I can take them off and shower. I then have to wear the support hose for three weeks during the day. Jul, did your doctor recommend you wear support hose most of the time (Mine did)? We're going on vacation shortly after I have this done - I will be the person hiking through Carlsbad Caverns with VERY heavy support hose on :) ! Any of your input will be appreciated. PS> Good luck when you have yours done in July! -
Brigid

Varicose veins

I'm glad you joined in Brigid! I never asked my doctor specifically about stepping/jogging, but i did mention that I exercise daily and jog and he said that exercise is actually good for the veins because of the hard pumping of the heart and it keeps the blood flowing through the veins. My problem is mainly when I stand in lines at stores or stand at my counter fixing supper, etc. As long as I am moving, I am fairly comfortable (except during that time of the month, then I'm pretty miserable!) I have been told to wear support hose daily and during the school year I wear them faithfully. During the summer, I don't - they just don't look too cute with my shorts!
happy.gif
I have been fitted for full length pantyhose type of Jobst stocking (which cost approx. $300!!!!!!), but I couldn't wear them due to varicose veins in my "female" area.
sad.gif
and it put extra pressure there. I also would NEVER recommend the thigh-high, because they don't stay up even when they are glued on the legs. I stick with the knee highs even though they don't completely help my problem. Best of luck wearing the stockings while hiking - try to stay cool. I know they become extremely hot.

thanks for the advice

Hi Jul,
Thanks for the advice - I really don't want to cut back on working out for too long. I would hate to think that I would have to choose between being out of shape or veins on my legs. But. . .$300. for support hose ?! - I cried when I had to pay $125. for mine. I also bought another $40 pair at the med supply store that are a little thinner and don't look quite so bad. I am sending you my empathy vibes from the middle of Idaho - I too had varicose veins in my vaginal area when I was pregnant with my now 9 year old daughter. It was not fun. I was very fortunate that they diminished on their own after she was born. I'll let you know how all of this goes. Thanks again!
Brigid

? for Brigid

I was just wondering where in Idaho you live. Iam from Pocatello. Its hard to find people on wesites that live in Idaho.

SusanR

Thanks " forgetful"

You are so right about losing flexibility, increasing your chance of injury, and blood pooling in the legs(potentially causing lightheadedness). As we age our range of motion decreases if we do not work on maintaining it. Obviously stretching plays a critical role in maintaining and/or increasing our range of motion. Another thing to remember is that when we work out our muscles do quite a bit of shortening and contracting. Stretching helps to restore and lengthen the muscle fibers. One final thing too. When we exercise we get a build up of lactic acid in our muscles. Lactic acid can cause tightness and soreness in the muscles. Cooling down by gradually lowering the heart rate plus stretching at the end, helps to remove the lactic acid build up in the muscle. Hope this helps!

McCall !

Hi Susan,
I live in McCall - we're finally having some beautiful weather! I like this website because I generally like working out at home & I don't know anyone else here who does (I may not have met them yet). To drive into town & go to a gym would add an hour a day to my workouts.
Take care down there in Pocatello!
Brigid

Hi Brigid

I love McCall it is so beautiful there. My brother-in-law's family have a cabin there on the lake and we used to come up there in the summer. We don't anymore because my sister moved to Phoenix. My sister-in-law's uncle owns a store there. I think it is like a gas station/convenience store and I can't remember his first name but his last name is Patterson. Do you know the store Iam talking about?

It's fun to know someone else on this site from Idaho since I think most of the posters are from the east which isn't bas just fun to have someone from your own area.

Take Care and enjoy the beautiful weather. We have been in the 90's. Unusual for this time of year.

Brigid!

I lived in McCall for a few months one winter!!! I thought I was going to die with all the snow, but when summer came, it was the most gorgeous place in the world. Do you know Gary and Sherree Burlingame? They own the candy store in town. I lived up near the airport. What a small world!

Emily

hi Susan & Emily

It is a small world! Emily, I don't know Gary & Sheree because I don't go into the candy store too often - if I have candy in hand I eat it fast. Yes - to survive here you have to love winter sports which I do; I really got into skate skiing last winter - I had a blast & was ALMOST sorry to see winter end. (that's hard to say up here).
Susan - you must be talking about Ken Patterson who owns Ken's Market - it's right across from the lake. He's a good guy - my husband talks to him every morning when he buys the paper. He's also a search & rescue & firefighter and scuba dives! His kids are avid skiers and he goes to alot of the ski races. He does a lot for the community.
Take care -
Brigid

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.