cookware

Kimenem

Cathlete
Does anyone know where to get enamel based cast iron or stoneware? I need something that can be used on the stove. I've been reading how the non-stick stuff can be bad. Also, when it says it's pre-seasoned, what does that mean exactly. I don't cook.

Last edited:
The best enamel on iron is Le Creuset, of course that's my opinion. Here's a link to their products:

http://www.lecreuset.com/en-us/?__utma=1.1724343106270383600.1235885035.1235885035.1235885035.1&__utmb=1.1.10.1235885035&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1235885035.1.1.utmcsr%3dgoogle|utmccn%3d(organic)|utmcmd%3dorganic|utmctr%3dle+creuset&__utmv=-&__utmk=127973644

Le Creuset is more expensive, but they do have outlet stores and places on line that sell it more reasonably.

A seasoned iron skillet has been used several times, each time oiled until it has a naturally non-stick surface.

My cookware is all stainless steel, with a few Le Creuset items and Emil Henri pieces, since I got rid of anything with teflon coating.

LeCreuset is absolutely the best. Do not buy any of the ripoffs made in China. It is very expensive but if you have a Marshalls or HomeGooods near you, you can check as they have pieces occasionally. I don't know where you live but you can also find LeCreuset discount stores in outlets such as Woodbury Commons in NYS. I am sure they must have them in other places. Have had mine for years and use them all the time.

Dutch oven

I just saw the LeCrueset Dutch Oven at Costco yesterday for 199.99. I about fainted, I am so into making soups this year that I have been searching for a dutch oven everywhere, but that price floored me. I now know that they are one of the best, thanks ladies, I had never even heard of the name before.
Amber

Keep looking around. You can do much better than that. My friend picked up an oval one in Marshall's for $99. I know that is still steep but piece by piece and you will have your set.

Wow...that IS expensive. I must've been looking at knock offs at Amazon because they had frying pans for $20. Really all I want is a few frying pans varying in size and a couple of dutch ovens in different sizes. So is cast iron the way to go?? And I guess seasoned is better? Also, what about stainless steel?

Last edited:
Regular cast iron pans are inexpensive, and some people love them, the enameled kind, especially Le Creuset is quite pricey, but excellent. I have one Le Creuset baking dish, and it's the best, I wanted the dutch oven, but I'm just not spending that kind of money on it. I'll probably buy another rectangle baking dish, they are about $45.

I have a set of non stick Calphalon pots and pans, I have a couple of the dutch oven style pots, I think one came as a bonus with the set. They work great on the stove top and in the oven. I've also bought an extra pot or pan when they are on really good sales. This set works great for me, only thing I don't like, is I have to hand wash them. But I've heard there is a newer set of Calphalon or Circulon that can go in the dishwasher.

Edited to add: Ok, I just went and googled the issue with non-stick, and seriously, is anything we use/eat/drink safe???? I guess the fact that I rarely cook is a good thing now! My DH should be thanking me ;)

Last edited:
Kim - TJ Maxx carries Le Creuset 2nds for half price!!! You can also occasionally find Staub enameled cast irom there as well (I *heart* Staub). The 2nds usually have a flaw so minor that its unnoticeable.

The French made cast iron is TOTALLY worth the money (as is most French made cookware in general). It'll last you forever. I would avoid any look-a-likes that are made in China. I've read in other forums that the enamel doesn't hold up as well.

ETA - I picked up a blue Staub 5 quart oval Dutch/French oven at TJ Maxx for $90 a couple of months ago.

Another vote for le crueset. We also have cast iron -- it depends on what you want them for. Cast iron isn't completely non-stick, but it does work really well for a lot of things.

-Beth

Try to find an outlet, . . or as someone mentioned Marshals sometimes sells them for half price. On Macys.com you can even get a good price with a coupon if you are lucky. They really are excellent quality. They cook food evenly and slowly which really is the benefit of cast iron. Now you do have to know that if it chips you'll have to get it repaired professionaly. It has never happened to me but I know it happens and it isn't cheap to fix either. If you are looking into a seasoned cast iron skillet that is a different thing, . . and like a good seasoned asian wok you can't just clean it in the sink with soap and water.

If you're just looking for everyday use skillets, fry pans, etc. and especially if you don't cook Le Creuset is "too much pot" for you. If you are concerned about Teflon, which is a valid concern, you can get alternatives to that surface. There is a new line out called Green Pan that is a special environmentally and people-friendly non-stick surface. There is a also Diamond surface (although that is again, pretty expensive). The Green Pans are available at several retailers, but check Crate and Barrel - they actually have good pricing on multi-piece sets, which is what it sounds like you're looking for.
Stainless is also an option, but not recommended for things like frying eggs, or doing delicate things, for example (unless you like to use a lot of butter and oil)
You can also look for anodized aluminum, which is also naturally non-stick. (but again, I wouldn't use it for delicates)
I recommend checking out GreenPan for your first option, as if you don't cook a lot, you will find these the easiest to work with. Good luck and happy cooking!!

There is a new line out called Green Pan that is a special environmentally and people-friendly non-stick surface

Cuisinart has a similar product called Green Gourmet. We have two of the fry pans and they are fantastic! Highly recommend.

YOu can get some at QVC.com

I like regular cast iron, and I use it for a lot of things. It is pretty close to non-stick one you season it (even the pre-seasoned stuff needs a bit of a boost, IMO).

You can usually find it at hardware stores or farm-supply stores.

It distributes heat evenly, adds a bit of iron to your diet (especially if you cook acidic foods in it), browns nicely, and can be used on the stovetop or in the oven. For reheating foods, I'll often put them in a cast-iron pan in the oven for about 20 minutes.

skillet

Hi,

I have a run of the mill cast iron skillet that I paid $20 for and it's the best pan that I have. I seasoned it myself in the oven and nothing sticks to it.

I also bought a Calaphan stew pot for about $40 on sale at Macy's a few years ago. It's cast iron with ceramic coating. It's by far not the most expensive brand, but it works great.

The only drawback to cast iron is the weight when the pan is full. The skillet can be very difficult to lift and usually requires two hands.

Tracy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.