Colored jeans

gidget1978

Cathlete
Ok....I want a couple pairs of colored jeans. But I'm not entirely sold that it isn't just a teenagers thread and I dont want to be the loser mom who thinks she's super cool wearing colored jeans when really she's not:confused:

I asked DD who is 16 and I'm 34 btw, what colors should I get and she said "none". So I'm not sure if she thinks I'm to old (cause no matter how old your mom actually is, you always think she's old) or if she just doesn't want me to have a pair! Lol. Sometimes shes mean....she enjoys it most when I'm pregnant and fat, not fit and running....probably why she is asking for another child when I've already had 3.

So what's everyone's take? I'm not one to be overly concerned about what other people think but I'm on the fence about weather or not I'm just trying to capture my youth!:eek: and what colors would be most appropriate. I was thinking the dark purple and maybe a coral color....

Lori:)

I'm not sure myself. I was looking at them and decided against simply because I have no clue what to ware witb them. If I buy a top that is displayed with them I thought well where would I ware them is my first question the second was what other shirt besides this one would I ware it with. I could not think. Or a good reason to get them. I also felt if its just a fade I doo not want to waste the money. I try to buy peices I know will last.
But again I'm not good with fashion. I actually need the fashion police to help me! So I may not b a good person to ask. Lol.

Your post was funny. I have two boys and they are the Same way about my hair. I was thinking of going blonde like my sisters did. Well one of them it made her look older. But the others it Works on them. My boys r telling me no don't do it. Lol it will look like I'm trying to hard. Then to make mme feel better ..they say they love my hair long and the color God gave me. Lol. I had. To chuckle at what u were saying ..I understand to because well I'm clueless any way. Now A days. Lol.

I love the colored jeans. I know they were out last year and this year. I am 58 yrs old and I would definitely wear them. If you are ONLY 34 , I would go for it. I would only buy one pair and see how you like them. I wouldn't go orange or some weird color. I am sure there are plenty of places to wear them. I wear blue jeans everywhere. You could get some nice printed tops to go with them. I love colors . All of my clothes are colorful. You could at least go try on a few pair and see how you feel. Trust me , You are not too old to wear colored jeans. Let us know if you buy some.

Jean

I am 32 and I decided against them this season simply because I don't wear jeans that often to begin. Some of my friends (of the same age group) already have them and are wearing them like crazy. I'm sure they will be in style for a short time and then go back out again (has anyone else see the floral skinny jeans and pants???). I could see maybe getting one or 2 pairs but will probably wait until later this winter and I would only get them if they were marked down.

I would probably get royal blue and crimson/red so I could wear my Jawhawk stuff, LOL!

I love colored jeans! Am I gutsy to wear them? Nope. I'm pear-shaped and I don't want to draw unnecessary attention to my big booty and thighs :eek:. Not that my body-type can't rock the look, that's just my personal preference (aka insecurities ;)).

I think however you should totally do it! What's the harm in going to a store and trying on a pair? You might be surprised at how well they look. Who says mom's can't be fit and cool :cool:

As for colors, I love em' all! Dark blue/purple may be better for the fall/winter depending on if you are in a state that gets snow.

Happy shopping!

Natasha

Funny, I just received an email from Nordstrom titled:

New from NYDJ: Colorful Skinnies for Fall

So, I don't think there's an age issue if Not Your Daughter's Jeans carry the colored jeans. The website shows dark and jewel-tone colors.

Bottom line, if you like them then you should go for it!

I got a pair of bright orange capris this year and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. I wear them with either a floral top that compliments, or just yesterday I wore them with a white t-shirt and super cute black/white checkered Vans tennis shoes. I looked adorable, according to lots of people who commented at the party. :) You can't go wrong with a simple white t (or black).

Coloured jeans is NOT an age issue at all. What's the big deal here? You find a pair that goes with items you already own and you rock the look, with the right footwear, you go for it.

Personally, I just adore dark denim washes, and everything I own works with that. If I suddenly bought green jeans, I would own very little that would look good with them. That's the only issue I can see.

I tried lavender coloured chinos last year and would have kept them and adored them, if only the fit had been flattering.

What makes coloured jeans work is your personality. Youthful, playful and "I don't give a shit." Do you have it? Then go for it!

Ignore your daughter. She does not know best. She is blinded by the cult of youth into thinking everything she does is validated and everything you do is completely uncool. Load of rubbish!

Clare

I feel like this one will really be a quickly passing trend, it's not like they have not tried in the past. I do like gray skinny jeans from light to dark shades, not so much on me, but on other people, but other than that, I'm not sold on the colorful jeans.

Thanks for all of the replies ladies. I know that when I bought them for my daughter, not thinking about myself, and I was also wondering what shirt I would wear with it. Half of the reason I was thinking about it was b/c I found a website and the jeans are 2/$45 so I wouldn't be spending much money on something that may pass quickly. In the meantime,I still havent ordered them:eek:

I have not read anyone else's response. I am simply responding to your question.

I firmly believe that the classiest thing for women this age are dark-wash, low-rise jeans...whether black or blue....but NO pink, red, royal blue, purple, etc....I am of the strong opinion that it is just too trendy looking. And of course, no Mom jeans. Those are just gross.

Now, no offense to anyone who might disagree. Like I said, I did not want to read anyone else so that I would not be tempted to offend whether on purpose or by accident.

Please DO NOT BUY the colored jeans.

I don't think color or age has anything to do with it. What is most important is how a pair of jeans fit you.

I think bright colored jeans are okay, but not something I think are super cute and likely to be next as one of my fashion purchases. When wearing a pair of regular denim colored jeans, you have a lot of options as far as the color of your top. For colored jeans, your choices are much narrower. That's my main complaint. Otherwise, I say buy the colored jeans if you want them... just pay attention to how they fit!

Chico's has a ton of colored pants/jeans this year - they have some really cute pairings of like the red ones with a black and white top. I agree with Dela that this will be a passing trend. A lot of stores are really pushing the strong jewel tones on everything this year I've noticed. I have 6 pairs of black pants and lots of dark dark jeans, so my color is always on top to minimize the focus on - ahem, rear assets :)

I don't think color or age has anything to do with it. What is most important is how a pair of jeans fit you.

I think bright colored jeans are okay, but not something I think are super cute and likely to be next as one of my fashion purchases. When wearing a pair of regular denim colored jeans, you have a lot of options as far as the color of your top. For colored jeans, your choices are much narrower. That's my main complaint. Otherwise, I say buy the colored jeans if you want them... just pay attention to how they fit!

This.

I don't care what age, shape, etc you are but your jeans must fit well. I cannot tell you how many people I see in ill fitting jeans. I would rather have a few more expensive pairs that fit properly than 50 pairs that just fit OK.

I know Nordstrom has a service to help you with this and its free of charge.

I agree with previous posters in that, as long as the jeans fit, I think it's perfectly fine to buy colored jeans. I personally love colored jeans! If you are worried about colored jeans being a passing fashion trend, try buying dark(er) colors such as dark purple, dark blue, etc. (as opposed to coral, orange, yellow, red, etc.). I find a fitted white or black t-shirt or white/black tank top goes well with any color jean. If you want to be more daring, pair a cobalt blue shirt with a pair of bright color jeans and neutral shoes. Every single day you see women (and some men) wearing bright, colorful shirts with neutral pants (black, brown, jeans); I see no problem with reversing that by wearing your bright color on the bottom and your neutral color on top. ;)

Fashion is fun. If you like colored jeans and they fit well, go for it!

Here's a pic of me before an afternoon outdoor party wearing my orange capris with a white fitted t-shirt and athletic "jacket." Perhaps not classy enough for my advanced age (I didn't take offense, I actually found that hilarious!), but I got a number of compliments on my outfit that day, and actually every day that I've worn these pants.

Excuse the dive gear hanging in the bathroom in the background...... :)

Attachments

• 2012-08-26 10.44.45.jpg
    2012-08-26 10.44.45.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 114

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.