"Clean Eating" by Tosca Reno?

Heidisue

Cathlete
Just wondering who has read this book and if you have tried the diet? I eat pretty healthy all the time but not this clean and was wondering if it's worth trying? Will I be having to go grocery shopping everyday? That's one thing I don't like about produce. It doesn't stay fresh that long and I usually am throwing things out. What's your input? Oh, my husband is super picky about his foods and usually does not include any vegetables- I know, way unhealthy. I am working on him! Any feedback would be awesome. ;)

RE:

I asked around about this and was told that if you read Oxygen magazine, its a recycle of their articles, and even same photos. check out Amazon reviews. On the flip- its not very expensive and if you have no prior exposure to the concepts it would prob be helpful.
If you are wanting to eat clean, I find it does take a bit more advanced planning, vs fixing a quick prep box or frozen meal, but lots cheaper and healthier to eat fresh. I cook all my veggies in microwave, or stir frying is great to get variety of vegs and lean beef or chicken. Stir frys also less dishes, and you can change the flavor by seasoning from Indian, Mexican, whatever.
My advice is to try to just change one simple thing to start. It can be difficult to keep up a whole new appraoch at once, and if hubs no likey will be stressful. Why not just start serving at least one veg a night and see what happens? Broccoli keeps for a good 2 weeks, and is great tossed with a few squeezes of lemon juice (don't have to get fresh lemon, just juice), smart balance marg, salt and pep, or gtated parm cheese.
good luck!

RE:

I just bought it a few weeks ago and I really like it a lot, it is very no-nonsense approach and common sense. Most of the meals are fairly simple and it doesn't take very long to get lunch or dinner ready (which is very important to me, I am always short on time).

So far I made the parchment baked halibut, sesame seared tuna with vegetable slaw and parchment baked chicken. It was delicious and it was done in no time.

I had the same problem with produce, I bought it all at once and then had to throw half of it out. In my case it was just lacking planning or organizational skills in the meal preparing department :)

Now I get my organic produce delivered once a week and I just plan around it, I use the produce that spoils faster (like strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes, leafy greens, etc.) first and whatever keeps longer more towards the end of the week. If I know, I will run short on time, I prepare several meals ahead of time and either freeze it or keep it in the fridge for a few days. If I have a lot of veggies left over, I will make Minestrone or other veggie stew/soup.

The other thing I found really helpful was to get a "foodsaver", most of the produce I get delivered, already comes in those little baggies, if I have to buy additional produce, I use the foodsaver bags, and it makes a HUGE difference, the produce lasts much longer.

My husband and my kids eat the same diet as I do and actually like it (but then again they don't have a choice }( ).

I do most of the stuff that she talks about in the book, just that I will not eat non-fat dairy and drink skim milk, it makes me gag and I feel actually better (and loose weight faster) with 2 % milk and dairy. I have quite a few pounds to lose and I think this approach with some modifications has worked the best for me so far.

I did fall off track the last 10 days though, I was pretty stressed out and had quite a few glasses of wine, didn't exercise and ate junk. But oh well, started it again this morning.

Don't know what to say about your DH not including any vegetables, just keep working on him, it may grow on him :+. Does he like salad?

Well, I like the book and her approach, I don't think it is a diet, it's a lifestyle change. I really appreciate she doesn't have you stand in the kitchen and cut, slice and dice veggies for hours, which would be a recipe for failure for me.

My two cents. I'd be curious to see what other people have to say about the book.

Carola

RE:

Tosca is a little too stringent for me (eat cake once or twice a year and scrape off the frosting???) but I still find the book helpful and it has given me a number of ideas. I have also tried the recipes and I have found many of them to be quite good.

RE:

I agree about the cake only once a year w/out icing! I'd rather eat the icing and leave the cake. I have always followed Bill Phillips approach of a free day once a week. It helps me stay on track.
I will say that I do love a lot of the recepies in this book.
LD

RE:

I got this book last week and I've been reading it thorougly. I have not made any of the recipes in it but all in all I've been following the principles - eating 5 or 6 small meals, always a complex carb and a protein. I have not lost any weight yet, but my cravings for sugary sweets have all but disappeared. I think it is a bit extreme so I am going to allow myself one cheat day otherwise it just won't be sustainable for me. Also if I want to eat cake, I'm going to eat cake, frosting and all, but of course this will be rarely. :)

RE:

Thanks so much for your responses. I have to allow myself to cheat once a day too or I end up crashing. If I don't have my dark chocolate M&M's, I look for everything else trying to fill that craving!;(
I just want to eat healthier and am trying to lose the last 5-7 pounds (which, I swear, is the hardest!!!). I think I will buy both books. They both look really interesting and the more knowledgeable I am the better. It has to be a way of life and I think, with my DH, he's just going to have to try some new recipes!!! I know he's been wanting to lose weight too and I worry about his cholesteral. This will be a good thing for us both, even if we do cheat a little, it's a good start.:D

RE:

I have read the eat clean diet and I totally agree with it. I try to eat clean as much as possible and I think this book is full of great insight and ideas on how to do this consistently. You will be amazed at how good you feel when you start eating clean.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.