Clean eaters....what are you giving out as Halloween treats?

brickhouse

Cathlete
I told my mom that I wasn't going to give out any candy because I didn't want to contribute to the obesity of children in America...

My question for those who eat clean, what are you giving out as Halloween treats?

Just curious.

Jeanette

Gosh, I can remember as a kid getting apples and boxes of raisins. I guess you can't give apples out today unless you wrap them up and put your name and address on them, what with all the creepy people out there spiking treats with god knows what.

You could still hand out little snack boxes of dried fruits or nuts (I don't know how expensive that would be, though). Boy, I don't know. I usually give out some kind of candy that I hate so I won't be tempted to eat it. Is it Pinky that loves Snickers? Oh Yeah--I can't have those around the house because I'll eat however many I have! LOL!

What about stickers?

Michele

I'm giving out candy.

Halloween is a fun time for kids and I have good memories from when I was a kid and went trick-or-treating. I love to participate!
My kids eat candy on occasion, in moderation. So do I!!!!

I think the child obesity problem is a result of a sedentary, dietarily undisciplined lifestyle and the fault lies squarely with their likely sedentary, dietarily undisciplined parents. In other words trick-or-treating for candy is NOT the problem.

if i can i will avoid being home. if not i am thinking just giving out snack bags of pretzels. can get them here pretty cheap at sam's and if i happens that we don't get trick or treaters then viola has snacks for school LOL.

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

I like the pretzels idea.

I've been in a moral quandry with this myself all month. My kids are horrified that I'm thinking of giving anything else out but candy. Anything healthy will probably be thrown out. I thought of giving out Wendy's coupons for a free junior size Frosty. How about copies of BFFM?? :p

Angie

We give out candy as well. It really is so fun for kids and it is only once a year. I figure that my two pieces of candy won't make them obese, but the parents' lifestyle yearround will be the impact on their health.

There is a dentist in town who pays that kids a dollar for each pound of candy they give him. That is a fab idea and we will be doing that too. We will just trash the candy they exchange and let them enjoy the candy they decide to keep.

Missy

I'm giving out mini bags of popcorn. Not a totally healthy treat, but I figure everyone else will be giving out candy so I'll be a little different!

My DD just turned 2 this summer and this will be her first time going door-to-door. We are only letting her go to 5-6 houses and I will control the candy. Once or twice a week she can have a little treat.

Lori

Well, when they come to my door they say, "Trick or Treat!", not "Trick or Healthy Food!". :7

I was a mean Mom. I would throw away about half of the candy my daughter got after she fell asleep. She never noticed or if she did, she never said anything to me about it. She's only had one cavity in her life and she's 30 years old. I think it was a good decision on my part :)

I'm giving out candy. Mini chocolate bars. Who the heck wants healthy things for Hallowe'en?:p

I'm lucky in that DD doesn't really like candy very much. She'll eat a few of the chocolate bars, and she likes the chips and salty snacks, but everything else either gets tossed, or I eat it. I believe this year we will be tossing like mad.

You can always get a big bowl and fill it with a variety of stickers, fake tatoos, snack size pretzels, animal crackers, candy corn or gummy candies (they are pretty much just sugar, but you only get about 1/3 of serving in the snack size bags), and some little Halloween themed toys (fake spider rings, fake noses, waxed teeth, etc.) That way kids get to healthy, mixed with a little less healthy, mixed with something fun).
They'll still get enough candy from other houses and then the less sugary snacks can be used to cut the sweetness so they actually get down more candy! LOL!
Mattea

dude. it's one day out of the year. give out candy & go on with your lives ;)

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

Candy it is!! I agree with several other posts - that one day of candy (or the few weeks it may last) is not the cause of the obiesty problem. I know I totally loved going trick-or-treating and my boys love it too, and the homes without candy were the ones you skipped the next year... :)

Elaine,
I totally agree with you.

I miss giving out the candy to kids. We moved to the country 5 years ago and no longer get trick or treaters. My kids are grown as well. But, we are going to go to a Halloween party which I haven't done in several years.

I too have great memories of Halloween as a kid and with my own children.

Joanne

>dude. it's one day out of the year. give out candy & go on
>with your lives ;)

We HAVE to give chocholate- It is tradition! And we eat it too and have no guilt.
Family memories are built on tradition. And candy at Halloween is tradition to us. (Not to mention it is DH's Birthday- I married a goblin!)

I have 4 kids and none of them are obese, or even over weight.

Judy "Likes2bfit"

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.