:::Cheetahs::: Wednesday 8/16

Wendy, yes this will be my first non "off the rack" purchase and I am very excited. My feet have been in pain after my 3 mile runs, so I'm sure this will help. Plus, I have a run planned for tomorrow, so I'd like to get them today.

Katie

Hello again! got in a good 8 miler and paced in under 9:00 so I'm feeling pumped! In a while I tackle p90x legs and back. I always have to get my running in first, then weights. I know alot of you cheetahs do it the other way, I don't get how your legs have the energy to run after a weight workout!

Laurie- good job on the 5k today! You're really paying attention to your body's needs and signals....smart cheetah!

Katie- so you've been flooded in Phoenix also eh! We have the washs running up here too. At least it wasn't your home that got flooded!
Have fun with ME. That is one of the very few Cathe Weight workouts that I dread. I'm not sure why. It's quite a challenge.

Christine- have a wonderful rest day and take care of that heel!

Elaine- 90 minutes on the eliptical AND GS legs:eek: i agree with Christine- you're an animal!! I can't be on the eliptical more than an hour, my feet get too numb! I have been doing PLB with 50-55-60lbs but it's been quite a while since I challenged myself and tried more. Now of course Carole is up to 65 so I'll give it a try!

Colleen- don't worry about responding to personals, life gets too busy sometimes and we're glad to have you checking in! I'm a Saucony fan myself....love those roomy toeboxes!

Wendy- I'm picturing the family biking expeditions with little Joey behind you. What a fun way to exercise! Great crosstraining also.

later y'all

shelly

Question for the cheetahs re: calorie intake/weight loss...

I am using fitday to track calories in vs. out. Since I want to lose another 25-30 lbs., fitday was suggesting that I consume 1544 cal per day, a restriction of 508 calories for a 1-lb. loss per week. This sounds like a healthy plan; however, now that I've increased my mileage, I'm finding that 1500 just isn't cutting it. I'm hungry! I've been trying to tweak the fitday program, so I wanted to tap my fellow runners to see if this sounds like a reasonable plan to fuel myself sufficiently for my workouts and still drop some lbs. Here it is:

Goal: consume 2100 calories per day (ETA: on days that I work out)
~ I am running 5x per week (20 miles/week) - sometimes subbing kickboxing 1x per wk
~ strength training 3-4x per week
~ yoga 1x per week

Does that sound like too many calories to lose weight?

Well, I got my new shoes today. I can't wait to try them out tomorrow. If it weren't so darn hot out I would have gone for a quick run outside, but I didn't have time to come home get dressed and go to the gym before I had to pick up my daughter. So, I have to wait until tomorrow.:-(

Katie

Hey all!! Lunch was great! We went to a Chinese Restaurant that serves Dim Sum. Had a fabulous time there! Now I really have to work out tomorrow!

Heel is much better - still tight though. I'm hoping to be able to do a 4 mile easy run tomorrow, but I'll see how I feel.

Cathy - how tall are you? Instead of adding that many calories at once, I'd add maybe 200 to your day to see how that sits with you and if you're still losing weight and not as hungry. If you're still hungry, add 100 at a time until you come to a good point. Also, a big thing I've noticed is to watch the quality of foods you eat. When I eat an all natural diet - no processed foods what-so-ever - I'm able to eat more calories. And I feel fuller.

Also - are you using a HRM to track calories or going with what FitDay says? I find that I burn more calories because I'm in better shape than what FitDay says - so that might be the issue...

Katie :: what kind did you get?

Christine :: what is dim sum? Heard of it but haven't tried it. Glad the heel's a bit better. I am 5'5". After fooling with the settings (I'm not really sure what I did, actually) FitDay suggested 2100 and that sounded OK bc it seems that I generally wind up with somewhere between 1900-2100 on hard workout days. I'd say I do eat pretty healthy generally but could certainly cut back more on processed foods. I have just been going with the calories burned according to Fitday, which I agree seemed a little low. (The Garmin is saying I burn more.) But I've kind of figured it's better if I underestimate what I burn, anyway.

Hey Ladies:) Today felt very long, perhaps I wasn't quite as ready as I thought I was to go back to work;-) I enjoyed my route so much this morning that I think I'll incorporate it into my next long run, it had two nice long inclines that were a good challenge.

Judy, sounds like you had a busy day, hope your hip has calmed down.

Wendy, ((((((Feel better:)))))))))

Marcia, I'm sorry to hear the board meetings are such a huge source of stress for you. Is it power struggles, personality clashes or just plain old non-productive time. It's funny how dynamics among board members can become so dysfunctional. Hope you find some resolution with your obvious frustration.

Cathy, sounds like your credit card is smokin'}( :)

Jess, hope that 'something' goes away. Hope you had a good day with the kids. Nice to hear that John is moving forward, hope the rehab happens for him next week. Are all of the infections resolved and healing?

Carole, nice to hear you're so happy with your new toy:)

Shelly, that's fantastic that your Hubby is showing some interest in getting out there.:)

Katie, hope your new shoes are super comfy:)

Christine, isn't ice like magic on soft tissue injuries!! So many people brush off the idea of it but man; it's beautiful in it's simplicity and when it's what the body needs it feels wonderful! Glad you've gotten some relief.

Elaine, the cake is a cheater cake mix. Take a regular chocolate cake mix, add 1 box of choc. instant pudding (4 serving size), 1 cup of water (or milk), 1/2 cup oil, 4 eggs, mix until moist then on medium for 2 minutes (very thick batter). You can either put it into a bundt pan for about an hour or 2 8" round pans for 35-45 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees. It's a great cake to make in a hurry.

Colleen, I'm kind of looking forward to the Kids going back to school too! It'll suck getting up at 6:30 everyday again but I get a lot more done in a day when they're at school!

I gotta go call my best friend now. She took the plunge and joined E-harmony today and I'm dying to hear all of the details:)

Take Care
Laurie:)

Nice sneakers Katie! Good luck with them! :)

Well, I felt better after my nap so I headed off to the gym after dinner tonight. I wasn't going to do anything *CRAZY* so I hopped on the elliptical for the work out you gals all had me craving. Well, I went a little overboard! LOL "Nothing crazy" turned out to be my farthest distance yet on the elliptical or running!

My work out went something like this:

10 minutes @ incline level 20/resistance level 5
(resistance stays the same through out)
14 minute hill climb (began w/incline 6, increased by 2 every 2 minutes through level 20)
4 minutes @ incline level 6 to rest.
14 minutes hill climb again.
8 minutes @ incline level 6 to get to mileage goal.

5 miles/50.25 minutes.
I averaged 25 seconds faster per mile than what I run on the TM!}(

My legs were ON FIRE! It was awesome!!!!

I have a question though...I wore my running shoes to the gym as I as unsure if I'd end up on the TM or not. Well the bottoms of my feet were hurting me after a while on the elliptical. Anyone know why that could be? I was thinking that possibly running sneakers just may not be good for elliptical work outs? Or atleast MINE aren't...???

Cathy - sounds like you know what you're doing - but if you do totally underestimate the calories burned you end up like you are - hungry. So, that's when you add 100 calories at a time to find what works for you. Dim Sum is steamed dumplings filled with different things - like shrimp and mushrooms, or spinach and bamboo shoots... You order Dim Sum kind of like you order Sushi. It's really good actually - and probably much more common here in California because we have a large Chinese population.

Laurie - Ice is wonderful! I did decide that I would take tomorrow off from running - just to let my tendon heal a little more. I'm planning on doing a circuit workout - maybe Body Max, depending on how the step feels. Good luck to your best friend!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.