Check your tubing...

;) We should start a club.

Or maybe a support group! :D I got smacked in the eye from a short one too, I was so afraid of any damage I did after just recently reading an awful story about this happening to someone, but I was fine.

All the short tubes promptly went in the garbage, I only use my Cathe tubing now.

Dela,
I am not going to try the overhead extensions again with the blue tube. When I did bis and tris yesterday, I gave it one last go around. I ended up using a 20lb db instead. I feared for myself with the tube. I called altus and asked if the blue cathe tube is longer. They said it used to be, but now they are all shorter regardless if it is fitness by cathe or just their regular tube without her name on it.

I am sorry to keep this thread open. I guess I am curious why tubing length isn't mentioned in any of the dvds it is used in. For me and others it seems dangerous to use a tube that is too short.

Thanks again everyone for the replies!

Generally Im not a band/tubing fan but this might explain some of the troubles I had with xtrain. Not sure what my problem is but it usually feels really awkward to me.

I'm worried that the 'mimimal equipment' for the new FLEXtrain might be very tubing oriented.

I just bought the blue medium tubing and it is 60 inches from handle to handle, which is not long enough for the overhead triceps move on Supercuts. That's disappointing. If the equipment sold on the Cathe website is different from what is used in recent workouts, this should be made clear on the website.

I am curious, did you get the tubing from cathe? When I spoke with altus, they said all blue tubing is the same length regardless of cathe by fitness logo. I wish length would be included in item description also. I would not have purchased the tubing.

Melissa

I just bought the blue medium tubing and it is 60 inches from handle to handle, which is not long enough for the overhead triceps move on Supercuts. That's disappointing. If the equipment sold on the Cathe website is different from what is used in recent workouts, this should be made clear on the website.

The equipment we use in XTrain is the exact same equipment we sell.

I could be wrong, but probably the height of the person using the tubing will effect how high you can lift it over your head safely. If this is the case, too bad there isn't a guide. Also, altus said the tubing used to be longer than it is now, so as others have posted, if you got your tube awhile ago, it will be longer.

Melissa

What I recently (March 2013) bought from Cathe.com is Altus tubing. I am 5'7" (i.e., not particularly tall). Based on the response from SNM Videos, the tubing that I bought (60 inches) is the same length as what was used in Xtrain (i.e., I am a wimp, which I concede is true). It's good to know that I need to keep trying with the tubing that I have. Perhaps the tubing will stretch/relax a bit with use.

I am 5'3 and have the same blue 60" tubing and I cannot do any of the exercises that you have to stretch it over your head...I must be a wimp too! :(. I use an old green tubing that I had and it works fine..

Just in case anyone is interested:

Portable Fitness Kit at Walmart.ca

I bought this kit hoping that one of the tubing would be suitable for Super Cuts. The med resistance worked great! (I'm around Cathe's height). I also wish companies would give specifications on inches with their bands/tubing. I can't say with 100% certainty, but the tubing I posted a link to is approx. 70 inches (handle to handle). All the other ones I owned were WAY shorter than this!

Last edited:
Try googling "flat band rolls" or "stretch bands in bulk". You can buy them on a roll and cut them to the length you want.

I have 2 med. tension tubings. I first is golds gym from walmart and is about 60 in. and is yellow in color. The next is the cathe one that they just got in stock. The cathe one I like better because the tube connects at the bottom of the handles with a ring and doesn't get in the way. The golds gym, the tubing comes into the bottom of the handles, so when you do a bi. curl, the end of the tubing hits your hand. I'm 5'6" and I don't have any issues with not being able to get the tubing over my head. Now the new cathe one is not as stretched out as my older one, so I'm having a little difficulty with some of the exercises. But I'm assuming it temporary since it's new.

Sorry to bring up and older thread, but I have a question.

I've been looking into getting the tubing from Cathe, but haven't because I wasn't sure of the length. Now that I know (from reading this thread) how long both the blue and red tubing are I'm not sure if I want it.

I've been using my green band (which recently snapped) so I need a new one. Some of the moves in Xtrain I can't do using the band, so I just sub a weight in those spots.

Is the band the way to go, or does everyone suggest getting the tubing? I'm not even sure I'd be able to use the tubing because I don't think I'm strong enough.

Hi,

I mentioned this in this thread above, the blue tubing they use currently is very short, and I am only 5'3...I cannot use it for any of the exercises where you have to raise it over your head. I have an older one ( not sure where I get it, but not from Cathe) that is dark green, and I use that one. You should be able to find a longer one on the net somewhere...

I'm 5'6" and have one of Cathe's blue tubing I bought 3 weeks ago and can get it above my head. Maybe the problem is that it's just a lot stiffer than your other ones. I noticed that with Cathe's tubing. I have a yellow med. tension one I bought at Walmart and it's the same length and after about a month of using it, it loosened up so much that I hardly felt any tension. So I bough Cahte's and noticed how much stiffer it was than my other one. Now after 3 weeks, it's still just as stiff and hasn't loosened up at all, but I'm getting stronger and am able to use it even longer. So maybe it's not that it's too short, it's just to hard for you to pull over your head. Cathe even says that the tubing they use is pretty tuff and it's true. It's more of a challenge.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.