Chapped Lips?

dr.mel_PT

Cathlete
My lips are SO dry!! I use Chapstick & Blistex every day but they are still flaky! Any suggestions on what I can use to heal my poor lips?

I used to use Blistex and then switched to Burt's Bees Pomegranate Lip Balm and have not had dry, cracked lips since the switch.

I know they say if you are dehydrated, one of the first places it shows is in your lips. So make sure you drink plenty of fluids. Another thing I read all the time is licking your lips actually dries them out.

Hope that helped!

My favorite lip balm is from the Gap. They have lots of flavors and it's made from natural oils with vitamin E and it's SPF18.

Chapstick is petroleum based and I find it doesn't work well for me.

Melissa, I asked the same question in a post a couple of months ago and I received wonderful suggestions (link posted below). I have a SEVERE problem with chapped lips in the winter and I've tried SO many products with some even drying my lips more. Story1267 suggested Aquaphor of which I had a generic version in my house (much cheaper and does the job) so I tried that first. It has absolutely saved my lips this winter but you want to make sure you have it on most of the time as I've noticed they will start to dry out if I don't constantly have some on but it stays put a long time. I did want to find something with natural ingredients but I had it in the house, it worked.....need I say more? :D There are other great suggestions on my thread which I wanted to try but I never made it to them because of the Aquaphor. I do still want to try some of them, especially the ones that come in a tube to carry with you. I put the Aquaphor in a tiny container and keep it in my purse to use.

http://cathe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280101

Good luck!
Bam

I also really like Burt's Bees lip balm. I have the honey, pomegranate, and acai berry. My lips have improved since switching to these.

I was slathering my lips with vaseline and palmers (which is also petroleum jelly based) but they seem to make my lips even more flaky and dry which is why I switched to burt's bees.

Burt's Bees is the best! I like the original one the best. I accidentally bought the Lifeguard version, it's great if you like white lips :p

I like the smell and feel of Burt's Bees but honestly it does NOTHING for my lips. I have been using a different version called "LypSyl". It's also made from Beeswax and feels "thicker" and more "substantial". I don't have to put it on every 2 minutes like I do with Burt's Bees.

I have SEVERELY dry lips (and hair, and skin, but that's another thread) and I've found the two things that work best for me are Carmex lip balm (in the tube-- SPF 15!) and Bag Balm (the stuff that comes in the square green tin).

Using both of those things-- Carmex during the day and Bag Balm at night and overnight during sleep-- has helped immensely.

Good luck!

For me, it really doesn't matter what product I apply.... I have to make sure I exfoliate my lips every single day.

I use St. Ives scrub in the shower every morning. Once you get rid of the flakey skin and get the new skin exposed, keep your lips moisturized with whatever product you like best.

I just read something in Prevention. Use equal parts sugar and honey to exfoliate chapped lips. The sugar does the exfoliating and the honey helps heal and soften even after rinsing the mixture off.

I'm also an Aquaphor believer. But, I think it just takes trial and error to figure out what works for you. I have a tub of Aquaphor in my bathroom and a small tube I carry in my purse. Then I had Chapstick extra moisturizing (or some such) that I also carry around and have everywhere--kitchen, office, purse, car, overnight bag, gym bag, etc. I use them interchangeably.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.