Need help for dry, chapped lips. :(

BAM

Cathlete
Oh, the lovely cold effects of winter on your lips. I face it every year but for some reason, this year seems to be the worst. I have tried soooooo many lip products and they either don't work, or, they actually dry my lips out more. I know sunscreen in the product can do that so I avoid it but I still can not find anything that works. I've also tried olive oil and coconut oil to name a few. Does anyone know of anything that really works on lips that are so dry and difficult to soothe? I just can't stand the feeling and I end up peeling the dry skin off which then makes it worse and a vicious cycle ensues.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I'd send you all kisses but I don't want to hurt you! :D

Bam

Have you tried aquaphor? It isn't lip balm per se but I used when I was on accutane and it really helped - it was actually the only thing that helped.

Carmex is really good. I also like good old fashioned vaseline--I put it on at night before I go to sleep & wake up w/nice, moisturized lips. :)

Thanks so much, ladies! I have a generic version of Aquaphor at home so I'm going to try that now. Thank you.

Laura, I tried the Carmex but unfortunately it didn't help. I've used vaseline before with no luck but I'm willing to give it another go since I already have it. Thanks very much.

Bam

I also find that vaseline and the petrolatum based ones don't seem to help me much. I am using with some success the Aveeno lip balm which has jojoba oil, oatmeal and shea butter. I hope this helps.

Lanolin is wonderful for very dry and even cracked skin. Lansinoh is a nice one, made for nursing mothers but great for lips, cuticles, heels, etc.

But my favorite balm is by "Mode de Vie" and is called Karite Lips Shea Butter (I get the vanilla flavor). I discovered it in a boutique in Florida, and have since found it at natural foods stores and online. It is wonderfully moisturizing and long-lasting, and it's worth searching for. I have one in every bag and carry it in my pocket at work.

Good luck!
Allison

Dr. Hauschka's lip treatment. I find it at Health Food stores but I think Nordstrom's carries it too. It's pricey ($11.00)but it's the only one that I've found that actually works for me in our dry, cold, Minnesota winters. I put it on at night too.
Plus I have radiator heat and I have to have a humidifier going in the house as well.

I don't think it really matters what kind of balm or moisturizer you use if you don't exfoliate your lips first. Get the dead, dry skin off with a scrub of some sort (I just use St Ive's scrub in the shower every morning) and then whatever you use to add moisture will work!!

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions! I'm really excited that I have some new things to try. I did use the generic Aquaphor today and so far, I do like it. It's thicker than vaseline and lasts longer so I will continue to use it for several days and see how it works out. If I need to try something else, you all have given me some great suggestions which I am DEFINITELY going to check out since this is a problem in which I have to find a solution as I am too focused on it.

Thank you again for your great ideas!!!! :)

Bam

I had one winter where nothing, and I mean nothing worked! It felt like my lips were going to fall off. Out of sheer desperation, I bought a 3 pack of Aquafina lip oil at Walgreens. Worked wonderful! Cheap, too. It is in a tube that looks like the Vaseline lip stuff tube. Don't know if they still make it, but it wouldn't hurt looking for it.

Nan

I had one winter where nothing, and I mean nothing worked! It felt like my lips were going to fall off. Out of sheer desperation, I bought a 3 pack of Aquafina lip oil at Walgreens. Worked wonderful! Cheap, too. It is in a tube that looks like the Vaseline lip stuff tube. Don't know if they still make it, but it wouldn't hurt looking for it.

Nan

I just googled it and they do still make it. Thanks so much as I will add this to my list of "to buys" if I don't find relief from the Aquaphor.

I'm so grateful to have these suggestions. If you've experienced what I'm going through, I know you can understand.

Thanks again, everyone!!!
Bam

I use this, too. Works great on chapped hands, too.

I used it on my hands last night. Next time, I'm going to wear gloves as it is greasy. My hands felt great in the a.m. but as soon as I wash them, the dryness returns. I'm having a hard time finding a hand lotion that works well. :(

Bam

I reapply frequently throughout the day and heavily before bed. Stay hydrated; use a humidifier at night; don't lick your lips; don't mouth breathe (odd, but true). I use Burt's Bees, the Body Shop Lip Butter, actually just about anything. I have them stashed everywhere. I also use moisturizing lipsticks and glosses. My lips are never, ever bare.

I can't live withour my Burt's Bees lip balm. My favorite is the tinted version which I use throughout the day (and I can skip the lipstick!

I can't live withour my Burt's Bees lip balm. My favorite is the tinted version which I use throughout the day (and I can skip the lipstick!

Oh yeah! We love our Burt. It's the only kind my kids will use that actually works--they won't use my lanolin. I like the one with cloves when my lips are really bad.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.