Cathe's kickboxing compared to...

woodie

Cathlete
Hi! I wanted to ask you gurus to compare Cathe's kickboxing tapes to others, specifically Taebo, Janis Saffel, and Guerilmo (sp?) Gomez. I really like kickboxing - like it to be an intense workout. What are your thoughts?

Lisa

No offense to the Taebo fans, but I could only stand Billy Blanks once and gave away the dvd (I got the advanced one that had two workouts on it and hated it). The problem is not so much his cheering and jumping around, it is his off counts. Sometimes he kicks X number of times on one leg, jumps around the room, then forgets to do the other leg. With Cathe, you know that you won't miss a leg and might rarely miss a count. Cathe is no-nonsense, no prancing around, mugging for the camera, and exhorting us to this and that.
I haven't tried Janis Saffel but it gets good recommendations from what I read on amazon.com and collagevideo.com.
I have not heard of Guerilmo Gomez. However, beachbody.com's P90X program has a kenpo dvd in it. I don't find it as challenging as KPC but it is good for those not-so-energetic mornings!
Cheers.

Hi Lisa,

I have never used taebo workouts but I took kickboxing classes long before they were workout videos. If you like the other instructors you mentioned, you will probably like KPC. This is an advanced kickbox workout. Check out the clip to be sure. Kickmax sounds like another you will like.

Welome aboard,
jordan

I hear you - Billy takes some getting used to. I usually just even up the other side myself!

Lisa

Hi Lisa -- I really love kickboxing and have done some of each that you mentioned.

Billy is more athletic or maybe just more plain about his kickboxing -- isn't as choreographically accurate as Cathe (as others have mentioned) -- has good music in some of them though.

I haven't done a ton of Janis', but I tried a few long ago that I traded because the production quality wasn't that great. But I recently bought her Hardcore Kickbox with Guillermo and really like it. The style in it is a lot like what I just previewed of Cathe's Kick Max -- lots of directional turns with the knee up and kicking in varying directions. I really liked it. I've done Guillermo's Kickbox Underground and liked it too -- a little shorter and less intense than Cathe, but nice for when a lighter workout is needed. Guillermo has excellent form and is fun to watch (not in an "oooh, he's hot" kind of way, but he really is an amazing martial artist).

I've recently been doing Turbo Kick too -- even though many tag Cathe's kickboxing style as dancy, Turbo Kick is way more dancier, yet still maintains amazing form and precision. Turbo Kick has really fun music that the instructor (Chalene Johnson) mixes herself. She teaches classes in Southern California and certifies Turbo Kick instructors all over the country (maybe in Canada too).

I really love Cathe's kickbox style too -- some dancy, some pure drills, lots of impact at times. Lots of fun!

Hi Lisa! I love kickboxing too and have been doing it for almost six years now.

Cathe is great! I just love "kick, punch and crunch" - I did it for the first time this week and it's my favorite so far. I also just got "kick max" and it's good too. And I loved "cardio kicks". Cathe will push you physically but in a way that allows you to improve with each workout.

Tae Bo stuff is ok - I started with that but quickly moved on to other things. I've done Janis Saffel and she's ok, but I much prefer Cathe.

My other favorite kickbox instructor is Kelli Roberts. She has some great stuff out there, especially Kickbutt Combat. CIA workouts have lots of kickbox stuff and I've done several of them. I also like Bootcamp plus kick-it by Terrie Reeves.

You can't go wrong with Cathe kickbox videos - they can be very tough but you'll love every minute.

Thistlegal

Turbo Kick -never heard of it! I went to their page but I can't see a clip. How does it compare to Taebo? Am I reading it right that you can't buy the workouts unless you are a certified instructor? That can't be right... can it?

Thanks!

That's correct -- they only sell to instructors (Turbo Kick is taught in health clubs all over the country and these videos/dvds are made to give them new Rounds to teach) -- but you can do a home study certification (that's what I'm going to do -- I have some dvds now that a friend let me try out).

But they are pairing up with Beach . right now to made an infomercial set to sell in April called "Turbo Jam." Hopefully it will be successful enough that they'll do subsequent series after that for those who don't want to (or can't afford to) certify.

Renee, how does it compare to Taebo? Cathe? I am really starting to like Kickboxing and I'd be interested in more tapes to workout to!

Is Turbo Kick worth the almost $200 investment? Are their workouts right at the beginning or mostly training?

Lisa

Have you tried the Power Strike Millenium series? I received #3 a couple of weeks ago and it has become my favorite kickboxing dvd. I also enjoy Cathe's Cardio Kicks and Kickbox from her CTX dvd. But, I liked the Power Strike dvd so much that I ordered the other two. I've heard that 3 is more of an intermediate workout whereas 1&2 are more advanced. I just got them yesterday and am looking forward to trying the other two.

You can order Power Strike dvd's from their website. Do a search on Powerstrike.

Mary

Hi, Thislegal,

I did kickboxing in CTX. I love it. I was surprised how much it can work on my arms. I got Kick Max. But I haven't try it yet. I heard people talking about KPC. What is different between KPC and KickMax. Will KickMax substitute KPC?

Thanks

WantFit:)

Mary,

Is it possible to get the first two in the Millenium series on DVD? I only ordered the third one because I thought the other two were VHS only. I would love to get them all!

Thanks,

lee

To WantFit - KPC and KickMax can be substituted for each other. I like them both, but I prefer KPC. KPC is kickboxing the whole way through, while KickMax has kickboxing drills, then a blast segment where you do lots of cardio (jumping jacks, etc). Then there's a final segment where you hold on to a chair and do leg conditioning drills.

Unfortunately no, the first two are only available on VHS. I just loved the Powerstrike 3 workout so much, I decided I would buy the other two. I did number 1 last night and it is true what I heard said about it, compared to #1, #3 is more of an intermediate workout (even so, in the shape I'm in it took me doing #3 several times before I could make it through without walking it out in there somewhere!!). Last night when I did #1, I had to walk it out 4 times!! Of course, it has only been 7 weeks since I started exercising again after 7 months off, so I guess I will just have to work on my endurance.

Let me know what you think of PowerStrike Millenium 3! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!!

Mary

Mary, Thanks for the info! I tried Millenium #3 and really liked it. I wasn't very winded, but I liked the drills. It's a great low-impact workout. I am actually feeling it in my arms today, and that rarely happens to me!

WantFit - I don't know if you can get FITtv on your television, but if you do, you can find KPC there. They replay it every week or so...

If you weren't winded, you are in FAR better shape than I am right now, but like I said, I'm just getting back into things and my endurance is horrible! I can't believe I allowed myself to get so out of shape!! I'm paying for it now.

Ugh!!

Mary

Mary,

I started working out again in Feb. after a two-year break. I was so out of shape when I started. But I'm surprised at how quickly my fitness level improved - I'm sure you will be in great shape in no time!

Hi, Mary,

I do have FitTv channel. However, every time when I check it, it never shows any fitness program. Could you let me know when the program is running? If I can take a peek of it, and maybe even try it, it would great.

Thanks for your information.

WantFit:*

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.