Cathe - what do you think of this NYT article?

jolene_hajj

Cathlete
http://health.nytimes.com/ref/health/healthguide/esn-exercise-ess.html

Personally, I think it's a bunch of crap ;-) The article talks about how exercise is often "oversold" in terms of health benefits - couldn't be further from the truth, in my opinion. And, the article has some (what I perceive) to be myths, such as this section:

And what about weight loss? Lifting weights builds muscles but will not make you burn more calories. The muscle you gain is minuscule compared with the total amount of skeletal muscle in the body. And muscle has a very low metabolic rate when it’s at rest. (You can’t flex your biceps all the time.)

Anyway, I thought it was worth posting here, because it just surprised me that the New York Times would publish a story that basically suggests exercise isn't all it's cracked up to be. I just think that's silly. I think you should respond to the reporter or comment on the article at the bottom - share some of your sage advice and wisdom!!

http://health.nytimes.com/ref/health/healthguide/esn-exercise-ess.html

Personally, I think it's a bunch of crap ;-) The article talks about how exercise is often "oversold" in terms of health benefits - couldn't be further from the truth, in my opinion. And, the article has some (what I perceive) to be myths, such as this section:

And what about weight loss? Lifting weights builds muscles but will not make you burn more calories. The muscle you gain is minuscule compared with the total amount of skeletal muscle in the body. And muscle has a very low metabolic rate when it’s at rest. (You can’t flex your biceps all the time.)

Anyway, I thought it was worth posting here, because it just surprised me that the New York Times would publish a story that basically suggests exercise isn't all it's cracked up to be. I just think that's silly. I think you should respond to the reporter or comment on the article at the bottom - share some of your sage advice and wisdom!!

Certainly not Cathe here, but...where are this reporters resources to back up these so-called finds???

I agree with yor assesment..load of crap. I feel better, look better, everything is better in my life because of fitness..I remember all-too-well how my life was crap without it! That's all the proof I need..

Like you, would love to hear from Cathe on this!

Sounds to me that someone doesn't want to exercise!
People look for any excuse not to exercise.
I think this article does a real disservice, people in this country are already overweight and unhealthy enough.

Sounds to me that someone doesn't want to exercise!
People look for any excuse not to exercise.
I think this article does a real disservice, people in this country are already overweight and unhealthy enough.

As a former non-exerciser myself...non-exercisers have no idea what they're missing.

Okay, so I am not crazy! I read that and was completely baffled! That article gave every non-exerciser every reason NOT to exercise!! Crazy.

Hey

I do think that it is true that diet is more impact than exercise on weight and then some of the associated health risks that go along with being overwieght can be reduced when a proper diet is followed; however, exercise overall bring so much well being. You can be a skinny fat person (you know the ones, thin but flabby and totally out of shape) and have all kinds of health issues. Just looking at blood pressure alone has some pretty incredible health risk associated with it that can be alleviated by reducing blood pressure through exercise. I am thinking that this study did not rate the implications of each of the health risks or separate out the health risks that are largely caused by some other factor besides body condition (ie. Breast cancer and the genetic connection). Also during all the mentioned studies diet was not mentioned. That can vary drastically across people in a study like this and that could vary the results widely. It would be interesting to see if the research was published and therefore peer reviewed.

This is just one opinion from a university researcher... that does not mean that their research is the B all end all. It is too bad that they did not cover the topic and give both sides of the story. Just a few weeks ago their was a radio show talking to a University researcher that said that no one should ever eat eggs. He felt that they are very bad for you. I just let that information go in one ear and out the other!
Just my thoughts
Heather

Personally, I can't think of one negative impact that exercise could have on your body, other than overdoing it and injuring yourself but even that's temporary! I know for a fact that ever since I truly committed to a strict exercise regime, I've been healthier, had more stamina and am generally much happier...not to mention fitter and leaner. How is that not due to exercise?? Yes, diet also plays an important role but the article really does do a disservice and seems a little sketchy that their "sources" for the story weren't all that clear. Sounds like irresponsible reporting to me. Would LOVE Cathe to weigh in on this one!

Hey

I do think that it is true that diet is more impact than exercise on weight and then some of the associated health risks that go along with being overwieght can be reduced when a proper diet is followed; however, exercise overall bring so much well being. You can be a skinny fat person (you know the ones, thin but flabby and totally out of shape)
Heather

Well that was ME before I started to exercise in 1980, I was (well still am) 5'6" but I weighed around 112 pounds. I was totally, utterly out of shape, I was skinny, had no muscle tone, and couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without being winded. Oh and I smoked. YUCK I was 27. My mom, a life-long exerciser (she did it when it wasn't 'fashionable' and was looked down upon as a result) turned 50 on August 17, 1980, I looked at her and thought - D@mn, I'd love to look like that! not at 50, but NOW at 27!!! She was (and still is at almost 79) in terrific shape. She had gotten into swimming about 5-6 years prior, so that's where I started, but it took me a month to work up the courage to actually get in the pool. She was thrilled. I still swim daily laps. So does she.
She will be 79 in august and I look at her and I look at other 79 year olds, and they are light years apart.

Don't tell me exercise doesn't do anything!! :)

Last edited:
i think the gist of this is saying that exercise isnt the cure-all; a healthy diet & lifestyle are also needed. i know some people who go to the gym, workout pretty moderately for 45min - an hour and then go home and eat a ginormous hot fudge sundae because they have the mentality "oh i worked out today so i can eat whatever i want." being educated on both diet & exercise and applying those principles to your daily life are what's going to lower your BP & chance of getting diabetes, and help you lose weight.

im definitely baffled by the weight-lifting statement he makes, though. i thought the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn, which is the main reason why guys can lose weight more easily than women?

i think the gist of this is saying that exercise isnt the cure-all; a healthy diet & lifestyle are also needed. i know some people who go to the gym, workout pretty moderately for 45min - an hour and then go home and eat a ginormous hot fudge sundae because they have the mentality "oh i worked out today so i can eat whatever i want." being educated on both diet & exercise and applying those principles to your daily life are what's going to lower your BP & chance of getting diabetes, and help you lose weight.

im definitely baffled by the weight-lifting statement he makes, though. i thought the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn, which is the main reason why guys can lose weight more easily than women?

I'm baffled by the weight lifting statement too. BTW, love your quote at the bottom of your signature Melissa!

In my opinion, results can be processed in so many ways, variables added and removed, and some variables cannot be controlled for...for this reason, a researcher can (almost) get the result they are looking for or can reprocess adding or eliminating variables once again and come up with a different result.
Every human being has a different makeup and as far as I'm concerned one's own personal experience is the most important study on which to base one's actions. As someone who cares for young and elderly clients, I truly see that the people who maintain an active lifestyle and eat moderately, and often very modestly, live longer on average with a better quality of life. So, now matter what a study says, taking root in a couch is not in the cards for me...now if I could control my sweet and salty tooth...it would make my active lifestyle pay off a little better!
julie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.