Cathe, question about push ups

krassymira

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
Today I started your official 3 months STS rotation with STS cardio. I have completed STS once last year and this would be my second time.
As you well know the program opens up with a great number of push ups. My level is not as advanced so that I can do them on my toes. I can, however, complete all of them on my knees. When I attempt to do any of the other types - like boot camp, or straddle, or staggered pushups, I struggle with them and I find myself doing only a "halfling" - if I can call it that. For example - with the boot camp I would only bend my arms half way, not all the way down, and my leg would move but not all the way up. My question is: is it better if I do a regular push up in good form on my knees in place of the more advanced varieties, or is it better if I try to follow you and the crew with an imitation of not so good form?
Thank you!
Best: Krasy

Not Cathe, just remembering the first time I tried those boot camp etc pushups here ...

Personally I like to go with a modified yet good-form version of a move if I can't execute it as demonstrated ... The modification depends on it where the troubles are. In my case, my shoulders/chest were not quite strong enough to handle moving legs and hands the first time. I used a six inch sturdy step top under my hands so as to shift my weight slightly back. That was enough to reduce the upper body pressure and let me get the move done. After a short time I could place my hands on the ground. Do you think something like that might work for you?

Hi ShadowPup,
Thanks for your reply! I tried doing them on the stairs - that was the sad result I described above :). I guess I will suck it up and try and keep trying until I get it...
Krasy

I agree w/shadowpup, modify with good form is the better way to go, but definitely keep trying. The 1st time thru STS, I did almost all push ups on my knees; now I can knock out12-15 depending on how I'm feeling. I can now do a few of the boot camp style before I have to drop down to regular & then to the knees.

I would try some of the other pushups

I disagree,
I would do some of more advanced version.

A push up in poor form is not the same as doing a push up to the point where the muscle will not allow you to go down more.
You would have to determine when it is poor form however as that could occur also which you would want to avoid.

If you can do push ups - all of them with good form on your knees then you are not going to make a great deal of progress continuing to do these over and over- something you can already do well.
Until you are trying the harder version you are not going to be building the muscle necessary to do the harder version.

If you could not yet do all the pushups on your knees with good form that would be the place to start- but you said you can.
So I would do some part of each set trying to go deeper and deeper into the full push up.
As you fatigue and find they are even less deep-and you are not getting what you should from it, then I would finish on your knees to finish it out.

I believe everyone nearing failure will do them less deeply- that wouldn't mean the last few reps are not worth doing, nor would it mean they are poor form necessarily.

Lea, this is a great advise and it makes a lot of sense! Thank you! I had the same feeling, that doing regular push ups over and over will not yield much results and progres only comes from stepping out of your comfort zone, hence I should try the more advanced variety until one day I am able to do it in good form. I wanted to hear it from someone else, and I thank you! :)
Krasy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.