Cathe: More Planks, PUH-LEASE!

Aquajock

Cathlete
Good morning, Miss Cathe! Just wanted to put in a bid for planks, planks and more planks on your upcoming video/DVD productions (after, of course, your little magnum opus currently in production right now!).

I really have noticed a difference in my core strength after recently your routines that incorporate prone, side and supine plank work, and I'd love to see more of that in subsequent workouts!

I know I'm cheating and this should be on the Suggestion board, but oh well.

Thanks! Hope you and your family had a happy Easter!

Annette

RE: Yeah, I like em too

Hi Annette

I really like plank work as well and always opt for the hardest option. Check out the ab work in Step this Way since Kristin does one armed planks in that one which are quite interesting. As you probably already know, you could make them tougher by lifting your legs, arm, etc.

One thing I really noticed when I recently went skiing was just how strong my core really was and what a difference that made to my technique and overall strength and endurance.

Kim

RE: Yeah, I like em too

Hi, Kim! Thanks for the tip! I participate pretty extensively on the Turnstep bulletin board / forums for group fitness instructors, and I found several ab patterns that included plank positions as well. I spent yesterday organizing and listing them out, so that I can design my own ab routines (as I love to do!) as an alternative to video workout work.

Annette

Hi Cathe,

They are worse then tough, So PLEASE do more.
I really have seen results. Can actually flex those back muscle!!!!

Laura

RE: Susan: Plank Position Explained

Hi, Susan! Welcome to the Cathe Crowd!

A plank position is where you hold your body, especially your abdominals and back but also your legs, in a perfectly straight position against gravity, bracing yourself either on your elbows or hands with long arms. You can perform a plank position prone (face and body down and facing the floor), on the side, or supine (face and body up and facing the ceiling). The abdominals and back muscles, especially the erector spinae, work to keep your back and hips from either sagging to the floor or hiking up to the ceiling.

It's the other half of ab work. The abdominals have two main functions: to flex the trunk either forward, to the sides, or diagonally across the body; AND to stabilize the trunk isometrically. Traditional dynamic crunch work on the floor, face up, works the abdominals for flexion, whereas plank work works the abdominals AND back muscles for stability in largely isometric, static holds. It is great, and it also recruits the transverse abdominus, a cummerbund-like muscle that compresses the internal viscera and lies underneath the rectus abdominus and obliques, in a way that dynamic crunching does not (the transverse abdominus has no motor function at all).

Get into planks as the other half of your ab work, and you'll be amazed at the results! CTX Power Circuit, CTX Kickbox, Circuit Max all have plank work, and I think there are other Cathe offerings as well that give you that; look for the phrase "core stabilization" in the descriptions.

Again, welcome aboard!

Annette

Love for Planks

I love planks now (hate them when I'm actually doing them though!) too. At first, I think it's not going to do a thing since it's such a simple move, but I did them for the first time in months and boy, my abs are sore. I didn't even do as many as Cathe in S&H, plus mine were modified!

On the other side -- planks bore me to tears. I'd be happy to never see another one. I'd rather do a long set of traditional abs than a boring ol' plank.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.