Cathe looks like she has lost weight!

When I was running on a regular basis, I developed PF. I have high arches. I was prescribed orthotics. Haven't had any problems since. Have your feet checked, Renee. It is so totally worth it, to not be in pain all the time. It's already been mentioned, but everyone's feet really are different.

Karen

Oh I have had the orthotics as well this is y I had surgery done. It didn't help so the next step was surgery. That was in 2003 but the hammer toes is slowly coming back. I have had shots since developing PF as well and I do not have high arch but not flat feet either. I can't have anything like arch support under the arch or it will irritate it to. So I use neutral. That's is comfy but I have to find cushion for the bony protrusion that is on the bottom. It's hard to explain. But I ordered a couple of the Avia shoes today and I am excited to try them! Thes RWH workouts really are making my feet burn but I love the WO!

Hi Justine. I just saw this.

WOW. You are truly an inspiration. My husband was a lot like you in that he never let his injury stop him from getting back into shape after his major injury. I admired him so much and I admire you. I have flat feet (very flat) and my feet are killing me by the end of the day. Sometimes I lace up my shoes and as soon as I stand up the pain hits me and I wonder if I will be able to do the workout. I am certain my feet issues pale in comparison to yours. You're obviously a very smart and determined woman.

Why are cantilever heels beneficial? So far the Asics I have work okay but I still have pain in the area where my arch would be if I had one. I am considering ordering the Nikes that Cathe uses in RWH. My podiatrist told me yesterday that a minimalist shoe would end up taking a toll on my lower back after a time. I researched the Nike shoe. It has a bit more cushioning so it may work as a good cardio and gym shoe with the benefits (hopefully) of the lower profile shoe.

Thank you for sharing your info. As you can see, you've inspired others with your story. Now off I go to "get to know my feet" so I can do the RWH workouts. I just got back into town so I haven't tried the new workouts. I'm gonna give them a go in my Asics.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

-Teals

I have flat-ish feet (a bit of an arch, but not great; one foot's worse than the other), and I spend as much time barefoot as possible. I can honestly say that has relieved an extraordinary amount of pain for me. I used to be one who wore shoes constantly, typically lace-up sneakers, including in the house. I thought it would give me stability and believed my extra weight meant my bare feet needed the support. I've done a lot of reading on barefoot training and living, and I admit that the scientific answers are mixed.

The thing I believe also needs to be reviewed is pronation. A barefoot (or flexible) shoe is pretty good for people who underpronate (supinate) like I do. While supination is supposed to occur more with high arches, it's not unheard of to occur in normal arches or flat feet. If the outer tread of your shoes wears out before the inner tread, then supination is occurring. If it's the inner tread, overpronating. I made the mistake for years of listening to people (including a podiatrist!) who insisted that I needed stability shoes because of my flat feet. Wrong! When I switched to more supple shoes, not stability (during those times when shoes aren't optional), I was able to walk so much faster. Over time, I also realized I was feeling less knee and back pain because I went barefoot as much as possible + switched to the correct shoe style for my pronation type.

I train mostly barefoot, including during Cathe workouts. I have been pleasantly surprised to find out here on the forums that quite a few others do the same. Training barefoot does feel a bit strange (though not painful in my case) for a couple of weeks, but soon it felt so natural and wonderful, I wished I'd done it sooner! My progress, both in cardio and in weight-training, skyrocketed. I could not believe how much better my balance and range of motion were in squats, lunges, and step aerobics. My lifelong fear of step vanished, because I could feel the step underneath me for once and didn't worry as much about tripping over it. I'm a klutz, stand at 5'7", wear a big shoe size, and used to feel like the step was my worst enemy. :D

Anyway, that's my long-winded way of saying maybe a minimalist shoe (or occasionally trying barefoot training) might actually be helpful, not harmful. I'm not medically trained or anything, just offering some info that provided relief to me. It's been months since I switched over to barefoot training, and my knees and back have never been stronger or felt better. My ankles and feet feel good all the time. When I do have to wear shoes, I feel far more secure. I believe that my arches and ankles are quite a bit stronger and more flexible, in a positive way. :)

Liz

I could not believe how much better my balance and range of motion were in squats, lunges, and step aerobics. My lifelong fear of step vanished, because I could feel the step underneath me for once and didn't worry as much about tripping over it. I'm a klutz, stand at 5'7", wear a big shoe size, and used to feel like the step was my worst enemy. :D

Liz

Reading your post reminded me a lot of me even though I have a normal arch. I am too an underpronator and I workout barefoot except for running on the treadmill. Check to see if you have Morton's foot (I do). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morton's_toe )
This is a common condition (50% of people) where the second metatarsal is longer than the first. It creates an unstable footing with the body tilted forward. It causes back pain and calluses at the base of the second toe. You have to feel the bones in your feet to be able to tell if you have it. The length of the second toe is irrelevant.

Doing regular workouts with shoes (I've tried) makes me look completely drunk. I almost fell multiple times and twisted my ankles more than once. For the treadmill, zero drop shoes with some padding is all I want. For Morton's foot, zero drop shoes are critical to minimizing problems as we grow older.

Reading your post reminded me a lot of me even though I have a normal arch. I am too an underpronator and I workout barefoot except for running on the treadmill. Check to see if you have Morton's foot (I do). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morton's_toe )
This is a common condition (50% of people) where the second metatarsal is longer than the first. It creates an unstable footing with the body tilted forward. It causes back pain and calluses at the base of the second toe. You have to feel the bones in your feet to be able to tell if you have it. The length of the second toe is irrelevant.

Doing regular workouts with shoes (I've tried) makes me look completely drunk. I almost fell multiple times and twisted my ankles more than once. For the treadmill, zero drop shoes with some padding is all I want. For Morton's foot, zero drop shoes are critical to minimizing problems as we grow older.

Yes, you caught on to something I hadn't thought of in a long while- I do have Morton's foot! I also have somewhat webbed second-third toes, with my right toes being webbed a bit higher up. My mom was told it was a harmless little flaw, but there is nerve damage in my right toes where the web is and it hurts sometimes. Shoes make that worse! And my right side underpronates more, but I hadn't thought of it much in relation to Morton's foot. Makes complete sense!

I'm sorry you have problems, too. But I feel a wee bit better I'm not the only one who looks like a drunk trying to work out in shoes! Perfect description. And yes, my ankles were nearly twisted MANY times before I started barefoot training. Two really close calls where I nearly landed face-first on my aerobics step were what scared me into daring to step barefoot. I NEVER HAD ANOTHER TRIP, TWIST, OR FALL AGAIN once I did go barefoot. I LOVE step aerobics now; never thought I'd be saying that!

This is why I love the forums. I learn so much, and get reminded of so much, valuable info. Thanks, SoapMaker! :)

**LightBulb**
Soooo this is why I'd much rather do all my workouts barefoot! I didn't even realize this longer second toe was a thing. I just have the gangliest feet anyway, and I am beginning to develop these 'Tailor's bunions' as well.

Thank you once again. and to echo Liz above me, Love this forum and the wealth of knowledge & experiences here.

My mom was told it was a harmless little flaw, but there is nerve damage in my right toes where the web is and it hurts sometimes.

TurquoiseEyes, don't think of it as a flaw! It is a feature, a built in reminder to exercise. Otherwise, you know you are going to feel bad and your back is going to hurt. Of all the flaws one can inherit, this one is as benign as it gets. The only thing to remember is no matter how hard you work on balance, you won't ever achieve what comes to other people naturally. However, the balance work is doing its job because it teaches the brain how to avoid falls.

Elsie, avoid heels as much as possible. The zero drop is very important. Also check out yoga toes. They might slow down the development of bunions.

Of all the workouts available, I found Tracie Long's workouts a great compliment to Cathe. I seem to stand up taller and move better when I add her to my Cathe workouts. Not sure quite why but it works. YMMV.

Zero drop means that the back of the shoe is not elevated compared to the front. They are at the same height hence the zero drop. Essentially, they are equivalent to walking barefoot. Most shoes even fairly flat ones have a slight elevation. The elevation shifts the weight forward (change in center of gravity) and puts more pressure on the unstable second metatarsal and on the lower back. The bigger the drop the worse the problem. Hope this makes sense.

Wow, these threads never stop amazing me, especially this one that has changed directions so radically and solved a life long problem of mine. I too have Morton's foot!!! I never would have known! I often wondered why I hate shoes and also work out bare foot. I love it! thank you!!!

Zero drop means that the back of the shoe is not elevated compared to the front. They are at the same height hence the zero drop. Essentially, they are equivalent to walking barefoot. Most shoes even fairly flat ones have a slight elevation. The elevation shifts the weight forward (change in center of gravity) and puts more pressure on the unstable second metatarsal and on the lower back. The bigger the drop the worse the problem. Hope this makes sense.

One of my favorite shoes for working out, especially lifting, is the Vibram fivefinger. Like working out barefoot. Only problem? They're pricey.

I think because I worked out so many years in a gym, where shoes were mandatory, that lifting barefoot feels strange for me. I have this thing about being barefoot around heavy iron. I'm always afraid I'm going to jam a toe, or drop a dumbbell on my foot. Any shoe, especially a fivefinger would not protect my foot. It's just where my head is. If barefoot works for you, go for it.

A few years ago, I jammed a toe so badly, I had to have surgery. Still haunts me. I'm a big baby.

Last edited:
Spot on Clare! I don't see the point of taking offense to your statement. It's true and sadly so many of us are programmed to see things this way, including myself, but you are right. Why do we give a shit? (and yeah, I used profanity.....now don't go getting butt hurt about that too)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.