Cathe: HIIT vs IMAX Question

Kira

I am wondering about the intensity of the HIIT workouts in the Shock Cardio Series. I have seen the IMAX workouts referred to by some as interval training workouts, but have also seen some people say that they are not TRUE HIIT-type interval training workouts.

So, my question is, how will the HIIT cardios compare in intensity to the IMAXes? Will it be similar to doing an IMAX for 20-25 minutes, or are they going to make IMAX3 look like a leisurely stroll? The image I have in my head right now is something similar to the Boot Camp workout from the 4DS series, which is about the same length of time that the HIIT workouts are supposed to be, but PLENTY hard for such a short time. (Hello, suicides!)

Just curious about what I'm in for. And how scared I should be. :)

I am wondering about the intensity of the HIIT workouts in the Shock Cardio Series. I have seen the IMAX workouts referred to by some as interval training workouts, but have also seen some people say that they are not TRUE HIIT-type interval training workouts.

So, my question is, how will the HIIT cardios compare in intensity to the IMAXes? Will it be similar to doing an IMAX for 20-25 minutes, or are they going to make IMAX3 look like a leisurely stroll? The image I have in my head right now is something similar to the Boot Camp workout from the 4DS series, which is about the same length of time that the HIIT workouts are supposed to be, but PLENTY hard for such a short time. (Hello, suicides!)

Just curious about what I'm in for. And how scared I should be. :)

I too would dearly love a Sneak Preview of what the HIIT workouts will offer us, and would love it even more if they make any of the IMaxes look like a "leisurely stroll"! I don't know enough about how the concept of "HIIT" is defined in the industry to know how the IMaxes would not be considered true HIIT training, so an explanation of the distinctions would be very helpful.

I'm savoring my fear, I really am! (ar ar)

A-Jock

When I was at a personal training seminar, one of the presenters gave a talk on HIIT. He said that many people confuse intervals with HIIT. Intervals involve alternating an intense work phase with less intense recovery phases. HIIT also alternates intense work phases with recovery phases, but the work phases are so intense that they cannot be sustained longer than 20-30 seconds. He said that's why not all forms of cardio are appropriate for HIIT. For example, sprinting on foot, on a bike, or on an elliptical can be done intensely enough so that you can't go longer than 20-30 seconds. But, exercises like step aerobics and jump rope are limited in how fast it is humanly (and safely) possible to do them. He suggested this:sprint as fast as you can on a treadmill. At the end of 20 seconds you should be praying for it to be over. At the end of 30 seconds you absolutely have to jump on the sides because your body cannot sustain the pace. If you could go even 1 second longer than 30 seconds, recover and increase your speed next time. That's why true HIIT sessions should not last longer than 20 minutes. Your body should be absolutely exhausted at the end of about 20 minutes.

He did clarify that interval training (non-HIIT) is also incredibly effective and we shouldn't think that only HIIT will give results. HIIT should be done no more than twice per week, and intervals can be done 3-4 times per week.

I hope this helps.

When I was at a personal training seminar, one of the presenters gave a talk on HIIT. He said that many people confuse intervals with HIIT. Intervals involve alternating an intense work phase with less intense recovery phases. HIIT also alternates intense work phases with recovery phases, but the work phases are so intense that they cannot be sustained longer than 20-30 seconds. He said that's why not all forms of cardio are appropriate for HIIT. For example, sprinting on foot, on a bike, or on an elliptical can be done intensely enough so that you can't go longer than 20-30 seconds. But, exercises like step aerobics and jump rope are limited in how fast it is humanly (and safely) possible to do them. He suggested this:sprint as fast as you can on a treadmill. At the end of 20 seconds you should be praying for it to be over. At the end of 30 seconds you absolutely have to jump on the sides because your body cannot sustain the pace. If you could go even 1 second longer than 30 seconds, recover and increase your speed next time. That's why true HIIT sessions should not last longer than 20 minutes. Your body should be absolutely exhausted at the end of about 20 minutes.

He did clarify that interval training (non-HIIT) is also incredibly effective and we shouldn't think that only HIIT will give results. HIIT should be done no more than twice per week, and intervals can be done 3-4 times per week.

I hope this helps.

Jan, thanks for the detailed information! That does clarify it for me - and makes me look forward to Cathe's HIIT workouts even more!

A-Jock

well, i did IMAX 3 yesterday and i thought i was gonna die. i would like to learn how to do HIIT. i have no cardio machines, so i would have to do it outside. and i really don't like running, but if that is the only way to do it, guess i could for 20m.
can anyone give me a routine to do for an HIIT workout? don't think i'm gonna get STS cardio. cuz, i don't know if i could keep up with it. most of her workouts just kill me. i do love them, but they hurt my feet really bad.
cathy

Cathy, the IMAXs are tough. I don't even own Imax 3. I saw a bit of it on Hardcore Extreme, and I decided to pass it up for now. Maybe someday in the future...when I'm looking for some new cardio and have the urge to punish myself a little further. :D

I bet you'd be fine with STS Cardio. First of all, it's supposed to be hard. Few people sail through Cathe's tougher cardio workouts, and if they do, then it's time to find a more challenging workout, otherwise they're wasting their time.

Regarding your feet, 2 things:

1) Is it possible your body just needs to get used to the workouts? I don't know how often you do Cathe's step cardio, but I have found that the more I do them (with proper rest, of course), the better my knees and ankles can handle the stress. Don't be afraid to lower your step height too.

2) Are you due for new crosstrainers? Getting a nice new pair might help.

I'd be a little careful with the HIIT. Don't get me wrong ~ I like the concept and am looking forward to incorporating more into my schedule. However, I tried a beginner HIIT cardio workout with sprints (real short ones, too), and my knees were sore for a few days. It's obviously something I need to work up to gradually.

whats wrong with your tootsies?

well, i did IMAX 3 yesterday and i thought i was gonna die. i would like to learn how to do HIIT. i have no cardio machines, so i would have to do it outside. and i really don't like running, but if that is the only way to do it, guess i could for 20m.
can anyone give me a routine to do for an HIIT workout? don't think i'm gonna get STS cardio. cuz, i don't know if i could keep up with it. most of her workouts just kill me. i do love them, but they hurt my feet really bad.
cathy

Do you need new shoes? Do you have a backyard? Grass you can jog on? Are there any boot camp style blasts that challenge you? I use a hill and jog for my intensity.

Very nice description. I prefer doing my HIIT outside, not on the treadmill because I feel it's a bit dangerous to try to set my TM at the right speed to max me out at 30 seconds, but not be too easy. I love sprinting outside as I can adjust my speed/acceleration/deceleration much easier. Cardio Coach has some lovely 10/20/30 second interval challenges that are perfect for doing HIIT. :D

Can't wait to see what Cathe has in store, though!

April

Oooh, April, you would love my CC premixes if you like short sprints! Here's an example of the premix I am doing today:

• Time: 65 minutes
  • Warm up
  • Warm up challenge: six 30 second sprints, 30 second recovery
  • Power Walking Rest: 2 minutes
  • Challenge 1 (3 parts to each challenge; no rest between each part): six 30 second sprints with 30 second recovery; six 20 second sprints with 40 second recovery, four 10 second sprints with 30 second recovery
  • Challenge 2 (3 parts to each challenge; no rest between each part): six 30 second sprints with 30 second recovery; six 20 second sprints with 40 second recovery, four 10 second sprints with 30 second recovery
  • Challenge 3 (3 parts to each challenge; no rest between each part): six 30 second sprints with 30 second recovery; six 20 second sprints with 40 second recovery, four 10 second sprints with 30 second recovery
  • Cool down
  • Stretches
  • Total: 54 sprints

This is, hands down, my favourite CardioCoach premix of all time (I have 9 of them that I created). My heart rate stays up the entire time, because the rests are so short. But because the sprints doesn't go longer than 30 seconds each, I don't get super fatigued and am really able to hit it for every sprint. I burn about 595-630 calories doing this premix. I do it running outdoors, not on a treadmill.

Last edited:

I hope this helps.

Jan, I have to give you a huge thank you. There's something about this post, which I read just before my HIIT run today, that really hit home and I absolutely killed it today. I did my best HIIT run EVER! Thank you!!

thanks for the cardio coach post

I used the sprint warmup this morning on my Aerodyne (aka the waaaay old stationary bike.) That was great!

thanks ya'll, i appreciate your answers. yes, i have good shoes. ryka extreme or something like that. and they are new. i am 54 and have worked out for 20yrs. i think that may be part of the feet pain problem.

actually, i have 65 acres to run on if want. i just HATE running. and right now it is gettin' HOT in s. texas. running has always hurt my body. don't know why, but it does. i can't understand why the blasts in cathe's workouts aren't considered HIIT. i can barely breath when i get done. i don't know how i could work even harder than that.
cathy

oh, and now that i am reading this again, to whoever posted about the boot camp workouts. the boot camps are most defintely hard!! they seem rather HIIT to me. i can barely breathe during some of them.
anyway, i forgot , i have a sand pen , where we ride, very deep sand. would that work for HIIT? have you ever tried to run on the dry sand at the beach? it ain't easy to run in deep sand. i tried it once and thought i was gonna pass out.
cathy

Oooh, April, you would love my CC premixes if you like short sprints! Here's an example of the premix I am doing today:

• Time: 65 minutes
  • Warm up
  • Warm up challenge: six 30 second sprints, 30 second recovery
  • Challenge 1 (3 parts to each challenge; no rest between each part): six 30 second sprints with 30 second recovery; six 20 second sprints with 40 second recovery, four 10 second sprints with 30 second recovery
  • Challenge 2 (3 parts to each challenge; no rest between each part): six 30 second sprints with 30 second recovery; six 20 second sprints with 40 second recovery, four 10 second sprints with 30 second recovery
  • Challenge 3 (3 parts to each challenge; no rest between each part): six 30 second sprints with 30 second recovery; six 20 second sprints with 40 second recovery, four 10 second sprints with 30 second recovery
  • Cool down
  • Stretches
  • Total: 54 sprints

This is, hands down, my favourite CardioCoach premix of all time (I have 9 of them that I created). My heart rate stays up the entire time, because the rests are so short. But because the sprints doesn't go longer than 30 seconds each, I don't get super fatigued and am really able to hit it for every sprint. I burn about 595-630 calories doing this premix. I do it running outdoors, not on a treadmill.

Which Volumes did you premix the challenges from? Looks like a great workout.

I have trouble sprinting, but I tried HIIT running uphill on a steep mountain road. I truly could only make it for 30 second intervals (and not even that the first time I tried). I did 10 cycles with 30 seconds running and 30 seconds walking.

Anyway, I lived. And it made me excited for STS HIIT because I loved how short the workout can be. And, even though I thought I wanted to die at the time, I felt amazing afterward. I tried it again a couple of weeks later. This time I knew I would live. And I experienced the same amazing feeling afterward--major endorphin rush, I guess.:D

I was thinking that I didn't even want these workouts--and now I'm looking forward to them.:eek:

MorningStar, that looks AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.

* Time: 65 minutes
* Warm up -- Pick a warm-up
* Warm up challenge: six 30 second sprints, 30 second recovery; Volume 3 Challenge 1
* Power Walking Rest: 2 minutes
* Challenge 1 (3 parts to each challenge; no rest between each part):
six 30 second sprints with 30 second recovery; Volume 3 Challenge 1
six 20 second sprints with 40 second recovery, Volume 1 Challenge 1
four 10 second sprints with 30 second recovery Volume 3 Challenge 3
* Challenge 2 (3 parts to each challenge; no rest between each part):
* Challenge 3 (3 parts to each challenge; no rest between each part):
* Cool down -- pick a cool-down
* Stretches -- pick a stretch
* Total: 54 sprints

For the Walking Rest,
can use Track 4 from Volume 1 (1:48 Steady State)

Last edited:
MorningStar, that looks AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.

* Time: 65 minutes
* Warm up -- Pick a warm-up
* Warm up challenge: six 30 second sprints, 30 second recovery; Volume 3 Challenge 1
* Challenge 1 (3 parts to each challenge; no rest between each part):
four 10 second sprints with 30 second recovery Volume 4 Challenge 3
* Challenge 2 (3 parts to each challenge; no rest between each part):
* Challenge 3 (3 parts to each challenge; no rest between each part):
* Cool down -- pick a cool-down
* Stretches -- pick a stretch
* Total: 54 sprints

For the Walking Rest,
can use Track 4 from Volume 1 (1:48 Steady State)

Thanks for adding the Volumes in!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.