Cathe HELP I think iam over doing it!!! don't know what to do!!

jentrudel

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
I workout 4-5 times a week but tend to do over 3 hours or more of grueling weights and then try to fit in a small HIIT for cardio …. some days iam fine and then i feel like iam dragging so much i can hardly fiinish and have no HEART in my workouts…. then i feel guilty because iam so drained and i skipp one (or two days)... I do one day FULL BODY weights like say A full upper body dvd of yours then a lower body dvd of yours then i try to throgh in a HIIT or ab workout after then following day do about 2 cardio dvds and ten dto go by the calories burned by your dvd's when i put in my calendar on cathe.com ... then iam so drained skip a workout or two and feel extremely guilty and feel like i have lost alot of tone lately since i actually got GREAT results at first… so i then restart with the over doing it (i think) what do u think… HELP!!! I would really like your input… Thanks... I don't know how to NOT OVERDO it... what should i do?? Is there any specific rotation u can help me with?? Also i think if iam not soooo wiped and i don't workout that long i feel as if just an hour feels llike a warmup for me, My days are almost completely CONSUMED around working out... PLEASE HELP CATHE... PLEASE!!:(
one of your BIGGEST followers and fans, Jen

So, clearly I am not Cathe, but I feel compelled to help as best as possible. I think a lot of people get into this groove of overdoing it with their workouts and they are afraid to scale back or that they have to top their last workout and do more to get results. A least that's what I think happens....or just getting addicted to the "high" you get from working out and since Cathe has so many amazing workouts to choose from, it can be very easy to sometimes want to do as many as you can fit in one day.

So I understand your frustration....I have trained for many marathons and when you have training days that last 4 hours sometimes, you feel like you need to continue that. Which when I think about it, it's absurd and not necessary. You don't need to do all of that. You are doing too much in one day (you said 3 hours a day, right?). Overtraining will not give you results....you really need to let your body rest, sometimes before it even asks you too.

I completely scaled back my workouts, and I truly believe it has been good for my body. I take one rest day a week and do extra stretching. With all of these workouts that you do in one day, you probably aren't eating enough to support that, or it's making you so hungry that you might be overeating...and then their is guilt and then that makes you want to do another workout. It's a vicious cycle.

It's sounds like you are in great shape and if you slowly bring your workout times back down to about an hour a day, you will not lose the results you have gotten. And don't feel guilty about taking rest days, or only doing strength one day and cardio the next.

I hope this helps....hopefully Cathe can answer (I know she's probably swamped right now- Xtrain, Sandy, etc). But I kind of think that she'll agree. Relax, check out all of her amazing rotations and pick one! Good luck!

Thanks Jenn... i actually tried so so many of her rotations start them then by end of the week feel it isn'y enough and add on one more workout aday ect... and cycle continues until iam where iam :( Hate it... as for being in GREAT SHAPE... Iam O.k>> I want to be better that is why i push myself!! I am just SOooooooo Tired NOW!! I feel if i eat say 800 calories if i don't burn that off I will get fat!! ughhh! Iam only 4 feet 11 inches tall so I feel short and FAT! Iam actaully only about 90 lbs but want to be very muscular at this weight and sleek Ya know... Not ROUND in the middle, lol!! I try to do my best but i need a VERY GOOD schedule and STICK to it.... If i don't My OCD kicks in and Iam DONE!! Hate it... But thanks so much for the reply, means Alot!! I wish i just had a REALLY Good rotation i can stick with:)

Hi jentrude ,

I am not cathe but would like to point out an important fact. I hope it helps! You have mentioned , if I understand correctly, a calorie allowance of 800 per day. The health recommendation advise not to consume below 1200 calories. You are putting your body to starvation mode ending up messing up your metabolism.
All these hard working out sessions you are putting in are being thrown out of the window!:( Plus based on what you have described , you are overtraining. I would reconsider my training routine and nutrition if I was in your shoes right now.Trust me I have learnt the hard way!

All the best,

Nathalie

Last edited:
Thanks Jenn... i actually tried so so many of her rotations start them then by end of the week feel it isn'y enough and add on one more workout aday ect... and cycle continues until iam where iam :( Hate it... as for being in GREAT SHAPE... Iam O.k>> I want to be better that is why i push myself!! I am just SOooooooo Tired NOW!! I feel if i eat say 800 calories if i don't burn that off I will get fat!! ughhh! Iam only 4 feet 11 inches tall so I feel short and FAT! Iam actaully only about 90 lbs but want to be very muscular at this weight and sleek Ya know... Not ROUND in the middle, lol!! I try to do my best but i need a VERY GOOD schedule and STICK to it.... If i don't My OCD kicks in and Iam DONE!! Hate it... But thanks so much for the reply, means Alot!! I wish i just had a REALLY Good rotation i can stick with:)

OK, first you need to know, you will not gain weight if you don't burn over 800 calories...and Nathalie is right, you need to eat at least 1200 calories. If you are overdoing it, it can actually hurt your weight lose goals. Your metabolism will slow down and you are starving your muscles. You have to eat to build muscles, and you have to eat clean healthy foods. More muscles means higher metabolism. If you are tired all the time, you are overtraining and you will not see any positive results. I understand the addiction to working out, but you have to find a balance...your life should not revolve around these hour long workouts. You definitely don't need to work the entire body every day....your body needs the rest and that's the only way muscles grows. The tiny tears you create when you lift weights have to repair themselves and your not allowing your body to do that, nor are you feeding it enough to assist in growth. Also, don't worry so much about what the scale says. If you feel you must do cardio everyday, make them short, and don't work everybody part everyday...if you need more help let me know.

Take care...breathe, relax, & try to enjoy your workouts, don't put so much pressure into burning tons of calories a day.

Jenn

Ok I feel compelled to reply... to the original poster, please please be careful!! I am a simalar size, I am 5'2 and used to be around 90lbs, sometimes 85 and probably sometimes a little over 90. I used to not think about eating etc. I over restricted my eating unintentionally and developed an eating disorder. I began binge eating due to my over restricting and now I can not stop. It's a horrible horrible cycle and life. I also work out 2 times a day and will do anything to be 90lbs again. I'm probably 103 now, which isn't horrible but... none of my clothes fit, I feel disgusting and am fustrated and still continue to binge. It sounds like you are on the verge of an eating disorder, exercise disorder or whatever. I hope I am offending you, I would just never wish what I am going through or the past year that I've had on anyone. Please be careful and if there is anything I can do to help.. not that I'm in a great place myself. :) Anyway... it really is all diet, no amount of exercise can hlep.. you really don't need to do more then 1 workout a day and strength training will change your body more then anything... try heavy lifting and more rest and good solid nutrition.

Im not wanting to sound like I want to hurt ur feelings and by no means make u feel,crazy. But u need to seek professional counseling. I know I was there exercjse can be a form of anorixia or belemia. I use to eat very little then I would exercise after every morsal It is a vixious cycle. Dangerous and I had no life. Plz,get help. At least get a professional opinion. Just to see if u have a problem. It just sounds like there is underlying issues. Good luck it is better to b save then sorry.

Last edited:
Jen,
I really love Cathe's workouts too! I feel great after I do them and I love the results I get. But I only go for about 1 to 1.5 hours 6x per week. I also love to eat. So, I go on Cathe's Nutrition program and plan out the week's food and then I stick to a rotation. I will never be a super model. I doubt that I possess the genetics to look like Cathe & Crew. What's important is to have enough energy to live a fulfilling and active life; doing things that enrich your existence.
Do you have any hobbies that could take up some of that time that you'll have on your hands when you cut back on your workout time? I hope that you can find a solution to the anxiety you feel about your body. Please check in with the ladies here on the forum and let us know how you are doing. There are some very wise ladies here!

Hi Jenn...
You said if I need anything???? well i was wonderring can u help me with a really good rotation so i can do at least 1 1/2 hrs of working out aday THE RIGHT WAY... See Iam not very active throughout the day and feel i need to workout NOT ONLY TO STAY FIT but for my health as well... I mean I have rhumatoid arthrituis and a body in motion stays in motion... Ya know!! and for PPL STATING I ONLY EAT 800 CALORIES LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT THAT WAS JUST AN EXAMPLE,,,, OMG!!! I do eat about 1200 calories and more some days I was just stating an example.... I LOVE TO EAT and Eat well. lol!! I just am busy with an autistic daughter and the fact that i lost my son 3 years ago July 18th (which was my Job 24/7 because he was born witha rare cp and ill always) changed MY LIFE and Who I thought I was FOREVER.... I use to workout out alot around my schedule with him and my daughter, my daughter is now 16 and she has a form od aspergers so i have lots and lots of appts ect... because she also has been self cutting to feel pain since she lost her little brother... I recently got back into working out and yes i HAVe OCD in some sorts but Since i know i don't do alot through out the day physically I feel I need to make up thru exercise anyway... if i had it in writing a GREAT Rotation to go by I will not be so OBSESSED with trying to figure out what i should do on somedays ect... and feel a schedule would BE GREAT!! I recently got ALOT of my cathe dvds back because i recently sold ALOT of them to make money for my sons foundation I started for other Children and families that are now going thru what we did and GET JUSTICE 4 Noah... He may have been sick BUT.. He was killed do to s surgery and neglect from the very hands of the Doctors i trusted... my son died of heart failure at home with a nurse not even 24 hrs after being relaesed from the hospital as a result of being pierced in the heart and all fluid leaked out into his cavity of hius stomach dwoning him... Mt Beautiful lil'man, My Life... Now all i have left is my daughter who CLEARLY Will Need me FOR A LONG LONG TIME.... so Iam not out to hurt myself... I just need to make time FOR ME and exercise is a way for me to feel better about me and I feel alive again... I certainly NEVER WANTED TO cause an uproar on the Cathe Community just wanted her advise as all!! So if you could help me make a WONDERFUL Rotation would so appreciate it and teach me how to get GREAT RESULTS WITHOUT OVER WORKING and hurting Myself... Thanks Again Jenn... And to everyone who has replied... REALLY THANKYOU, I just wanted to clarify myself!! Thanks All :)

jentrudel said:
Hi Jenn...
You said if I need anything???? well i was wonderring can u help me with a really good rotation so i can do at least 1 1/2 hrs of working out aday THE RIGHT WAY... See Iam not very active throughout the day and feel i need to workout NOT ONLY TO STAY FIT but for my health as well... I mean I have rhumatoid arthrituis and a body in motion stays in motion... Ya know!! and for PPL STATING I ONLY EAT 800 CALORIES LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT THAT WAS JUST AN EXAMPLE,,,, OMG!!! I do eat about 1200 calories and more some days I was just stating an example.... I LOVE TO EAT and Eat well. lol!! I just am busy with an autistic daughter and the fact that i lost my son 3 years ago July 18th (which was my Job 24/7 because he was born witha rare cp and ill always) changed MY LIFE and Who I thought I was FOREVER.... I use to workout out alot around my schedule with him and my daughter, my daughter is now 16 and she has a form od aspergers so i have lots and lots of appts ect... because she also has been self cutting to feel pain since she lost her little brother... I recently got back into working out and yes i HAVe OCD in some sorts but Since i know i don't do alot through out the day physically I feel I need to make up thru exercise anyway... if i had it in writing a GREAT Rotation to go by I will not be so OBSESSED with trying to figure out what i should do on somedays ect... and feel a schedule would BE GREAT!! I recently got ALOT of my cathe dvds back because i recently sold ALOT of them to make money for my sons foundation I started for other Children and families that are now going thru what we did and GET JUSTICE 4 Noah... He may have been sick BUT.. He was killed do to s surgery and neglect from the very hands of the Doctors i trusted... my son died of heart failure at home with a nurse not even 24 hrs after being relaesed from the hospital as a result of being pierced in the heart and all fluid leaked out into his cavity of hius stomach dwoning him... Mt Beautiful lil'man, My Life... Now all i have left is my daughter who CLEARLY Will Need me FOR A LONG LONG TIME.... so Iam not out to hurt myself... I just need to make time FOR ME and exercise is a way for me to feel better about me and I feel alive again... I certainly NEVER WANTED TO cause an uproar on the Cathe Community just wanted her advise as all!! So if you could help me make a WONDERFUL Rotation would so appreciate it and teach me how to get GREAT RESULTS WITHOUT OVER WORKING and hurting Myself... Thanks Again Jenn... And to everyone who has replied... REALLY THANKYOU, I just wanted to clarify myself!! Thanks All :)

I agree with the other Jenn about giving muscles time to heal and doing shorter cardio. I normally work out 5 to 6 days a week rotating cardio one day and then weights the next. You should workout out harder, not longer. Cathe's HiiT w/o's are great cardio and woop me everytime and they are short. For weights I go as heavy as I can which some days isn't very much but I feel it the next day so I know I did a good thing for myself:)

If I have something special coming up I may do a 30 min HiiT w/o and then a weight w/o for a specific muscle group. Listen to your body.....if you're tired don't push it or you'll risk injury. If you have lots of energy on a day then go for it, but don't do it every day.

My job causes a lot of stress so I understand where you need a release, you just don't have to drive yourself into the ground working out to feel better. Just knowing I can workout is a release for me:) I don't use a rotation per say. I go week to week and see what I have going on and from that I make a tentative plan of what workouts I'll do that week. Sometimes things happen and I don't always get it done but it's ok!

Hang in there. From your post I see you have a lot to deal with but overwhelming yourself is not a good idea. Try and incorporate yoga or stretching into your routine too:)

overtraining - Poor nutrition

Hi Jenn...

Hi Jentrude,

I am so sorry to hear about problems you are facing for your daughter. Also I am sorry to hear about the loss of your son.

Thanks for clarifying about calories consumption. I also would like to clarify the fact that no one in the forum has stated the 800 calories consumption. If you read through Jennifer's previous post, you will find your own statement.

Having said that, all cathletes help were provided, in my opinion, bearing your wellbeing in mind. Most of us Catletes here love cathe's workout but also make sure we do not overdo it by taking health, fitness and nutrition recommendations on board. Those information comes from various reputable newsletter/magasine including cathe's.

I wish you the very best,

Nathalie:):):)

Last edited:
Hi Jenn...

First of all, Jen, you sounds like an amazing person/mother!!!! I am so sorry for your loss, I can only imagine how hard it must be to lose a child. You totally deservee your "me time"....I truly believe that all women/mother's need that. It actually makes us better mothers!!! I can give you some ideas for a rotation so that you still feel like you are working out, but not overdoing it, so that you can workout the next day. Also, try to monitor calorie intack, just so you know you are getting enough to feed those muscle...I find that you can actually eat more than you think when you are building muscle. When your muscles grow, you really need the calories to support that. And then when you get to a point where you are getting stronger and notice bigger muscles, you can driop the calories a bit to lose some of the fat that may be covering up that muscle. Which will be easier to do, becasue your metabolism is faster with all of the muscle that you built...right?

OK, if you like to do some sort of weight training a day, why not work one to 2 muscle groups a day, and maybe do a 45 minute cardio session a day following up with stretching. If you do one muscle group a day...it could look something like thsi:

Monday: Chest (30 minutes) cardio (45 minutes), stretch (15 minutes)
Tuesday: Legs (45 minutes) cardio (30 minutes) stretch (15 minutes)
Wednesday: Triceps (30 minutes) cardio (45 minutes) stretch (15 minutes)
Thursday: Back (30 minutes) Cardio (45 minutes) Stretch (15 minutes)
Friday: Biceps (30 minutes) cardio (45 minutes), stretch (15 minutes)
Saturday: Shoulders (30 minutes) cardio (45 minutes) stretch (15 minutes)
Sunday: rest

If you find that you are still exhausted from something like this...cut back the cardio to 30 minutes. Cathe has tons of premixes that could get you to 30-45 minutes of cardio. If you have crosstrain Express, you could do the one body part a day and do the workout 2X to really burn out the body part.

Another option would be 2 body parts a day. Something like this:
Monday: Chest, Triceps (45 minutes), cardio 30 minutes, stertch (15 minutes)
Tuesday: cardio (45 min - 1hour) Stretch (15-20 min)
Wednesday: Back & Biceps (45 minutes), cardio 30 minutes, stetch (15 minutes)
Thursday: Legs (1 hour)something like Lowerbody Blast or Butts and Guts where you get a cardio effect
Friday: Shoulders & Core (45 minutes), cardio 30 minutes, stretch (15 minutes)
Saturday: cardio 1 hour, stretch (15-20 minutes)
Sunday: Rest

Some Cathe workouts to help you accomplish this:
Crosstrain Express each workout focuses on one body part...repeat 2X
Gym Style - great premixes too
Pure Strength are about 45 minutes long
Slow & Heavy
obviously STS, but only if you want to do a 3 day split

Cathe has the best Leg workouts, so I think Lowerbody Blast, Butts & Guts, Legs & Glutes, and STS Meso 1 Legs would be great. They all have more of a cardio and muscle endurance sort of effect.

I am not sure what workouts of hers you own...but if you list them, I might be able to come up with something more specific. Also Stretch Max has awesome 17-20 minutes stretch sessions. I hope this helps, but let me know if you need more details.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Jen,
Have you looked at the rotations posted on the Workout Manager? I really enjoyed the January 2012 rotation that used STS and LIS together. I did the 3 month version, but Cathe made a 1 month rotation that used STS Total Body. Some of the folks on this forum are very creative with rotations and it seems that you can find one for what ever you're looking for (ie strength, endurance, flexibility, muscle building, etc). In the Rotation part of the Forum there is a "sticky" of Cathe's rotations. They come in all different intensity levels....I know there is one there for you!!!;)

First of all, Jen, you sounds like an amazing person/mother!!!! I am so sorry for your loss, I can only imagine how hard it must be to lose a child. You totally deservee your "me time"....I truly believe that all women/mother's need that. It actually makes us better mothers!!! I can give you some ideas for a rotation so that you still feel like you are working out, but not overdoing it, so that you can workout the next day. Also, try to monitor calorie intack, just so you know you are getting enough to feed those muscle...I find that you can actually eat more than you think when you are building muscle. When your muscles grow, you really need the calories to support that. And then when you get to a point where you are getting stronger and notice bigger muscles, you can driop the calories a bit to lose some of the fat that may be covering up that muscle. Which will be easier to do, becasue your metabolism is faster with all of the muscle that you built...right?

OK, if you like to do some sort of weight training a day, why not work one to 2 muscle groups a day, and maybe do a 45 minute cardio session a day following up with stretching. If you do one muscle group a day...it could look something like thsi:

Monday: Chest (30 minutes) cardio (45 minutes), stretch (15 minutes)
Tuesday: Legs (45 minutes) cardio (30 minutes) stretch (15 minutes)
Wednesday: Triceps (30 minutes) cardio (45 minutes) stretch (15 minutes)
Thursday: Back (30 minutes) Cardio (45 minutes) Stretch (15 minutes)
Friday: Biceps (30 minutes) cardio (45 minutes), stretch (15 minutes)
Saturday: Shoulders (30 minutes) cardio (45 minutes) stretch (15 minutes)
Sunday: rest

If you find that you are still exhausted from something like this...cut back the cardio to 30 minutes. Cathe has tons of premixes that could get you to 30-45 minutes of cardio. If you have crosstrain Express, you could do the one body part a day and do the workout 2X to really burn out the body part.

Another option would be 2 body parts a day. Something like this:
Monday: Chest, Triceps (45 minutes), cardio 30 minutes, stertch (15 minutes)
Tuesday: cardio (45 min - 1hour) Stretch (15-20 min)
Wednesday: Back & Biceps (45 minutes), cardio 30 minutes, stetch (15 minutes)
Thursday: Legs (1 hour)something like Lowerbody Blast or Butts and Guts where you get a cardio effect
Friday: Shoulders & Core (45 minutes), cardio 30 minutes, stretch (15 minutes)
Saturday: cardio 1 hour, stretch (15-20 minutes)
Sunday: Rest

Some Cathe workouts to help you accomplish this:
Crosstrain Express each workout focuses on one body part...repeat 2X
Gym Style - great premixes too
Pure Strength are about 45 minutes long
Slow & Heavy
obviously STS, but only if you want to do a 3 day split

Cathe has the best Leg workouts, so I think Lowerbody Blast, Butts & Guts, Legs & Glutes, and STS Meso 1 Legs would be great. They all have more of a cardio and muscle endurance sort of effect.

I am not sure what workouts of hers you own...but if you list them, I might be able to come up with something more specific. Also Stretch Max has awesome 17-20 minutes stretch sessions. I hope this helps, but let me know if you need more details.

Good luck!!!!!!!

This was an EXCELLENT RESPONSE!!!!! I love the rotation example that you set up! Thanks Jenn ;)!

Jenn... Thanks so much:)) I like the idea of the rotation..:) I just kinda like the idea of doing full body one day and then d\cardio next then maybe switching to few body parts per day & cardio and even lots of circuit worouts!! If U look at my user page you will see all the dvds i have.. I have all u listed except STS (Wish I had that but i don't :( ) I preordered the new series CANNOT WAIT cus heard cathe will have a rotation and calander with that :) I also have cathe's newest crossfire and to the Max :D I have a few high step interval workouts and body max's BUT I CANNOT DO STEP TO SAVE MY LIFE, LOL!!! I SOOO Cannot get it Wish I could I actually use the upperbody blasts on those dvds.... Anyway thanks I really appreciate all the time you are putting into this:)) So happy I have ppl like you out there, don't know what i would do without you All ... THANKS SO SOooooooooooooo MUCH Love ya all <3 Jen

Nancy.... Thanks Hun... appreciate all the feedback :) I so wish i had STS I do have STS Full body dvd 4 :) I cannot find the rotation though, How would i tweek it with no sts dvds??? Thanks so much Appreciate EVERYONE who has responded This GROUP IS A SOoooooooooo AMAZING... So blessed to be part of it <3
Jen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.