Cathe bitte antworte mir!

Belinda,
Thanks--I understand the basic concept of der, die, or das -- it's having to memorize which words are feminine, masculine, or neuter which drives me absolutely insane. I know English is crazy, but hey, at least we only have one word for THE! ;-) :)

Cathy :)

Cathe,
I know it's hard! For me it is natural.
Man sagt nicht um sonst deutsche Sprache schwere Sprache!
Engisch ist auch nicht so einfach!!
Tschuess
Belinda:D

Hallo, Deutsche Fans,

Ich konnte leider fuer paar Tage nicht am Forum teilnehmen. Es macht aber viel Spass diesen deutschen Dialog zwischen euch zu verfolgen. Das gibt mir Gelegenheit wieder mit der deutschen Sprache umzugehen. Ich kann ziemlich alles verstehen nur sprechen ist ein Bischen schwieriger. Als Kind war ich mit Grossmutter und Uri taeglich in Kontakt. Die konnten sehr wenig Englisch und haben mit mir immer Deutsch gesprochen. (Schwaebisch). Ueber die Jahre ist mein Deutsch ziemlich verrostet und schwaebisch ist noch immer leichter von der Zunge gerollt als Hochdeutsch. Darum habe ich meine Eltern um Hilfe mit diesem Brief gebittet damit das gramatisch besser klingt.

Meine Mutter und Vater kamen im 1956 und 1950 nach Amerika. Sie heirateten im 1960. Kurz danach ging mein Vater in die amerikanische Armee. Er wurde nach Deutschland stationiert. Meine Mutter folgte ihm. Sie waren fuer 2 Jahre in Augsburg. In dieser Zeit wurde meine Schwester geboren. Ich bin erst ein Jahr nach der Heimkehr in Amerika geboren. Weil wir nur Deutsch zu hause hoerten sprachen meine Schwester und ich nur Deutsch bis wir in den Kindergarten gingen. Meine Eltern sprechen heute noch die meiste Zeit die Muttersprache im Haus. Aber als dann die Schule anfing mussten wir English sprechen und so ist dann immer weniger Deusch gesprochen worden. Habe auch in der Hochschule Deutsch als Fremdsprache gelernt. Heute habe ich ueberhaupt wenigGlegenheit deutsch zu sprechen und das lasst sich an meiner Aussprache deutlich merken.

Weil, wegen meinen rostigen deutschen Sprachkentnisse zu wenig Zeit waere um jeden auf deutsch zu antworten bitte ich um Verzeihung und antworte auf English. Sollte aber jemand ueberhaut kein English verstehn, dann bemuehe ich mich natuerlich in Deutsch zu antworten.

Ich bedanke mich sehr fuer die veilen und liebenswuerdigen Worte ueber mich und meine Fitnessproducte. Es ist fuer mich eine Ehre das ich meine Fans so fuer fitness inspirieren darf.

Viel Spass und Erfolg
TSCHUESS
Eure Cathe

Now for the English translation (with a few less the details):

Hi Everyone,

I know I have been away from the forums for a few days, but wow, how fun to see this ongoing German dialog with all of you here. I greatly enjoyed reading all of your posts. It helps to keep my German sharp. I was able to read and understand 95% of it and had my parents help me with a few words that were unfamiliar to me. I grew up speaking Schwaebisch, a German dialect, and while I certainly have gotten rusty over the years, that is what rolls off my tongue more naturally than high German. So I asked my parents to help me write up this answer to respond in a more gramatically sound manner as well as a way that is more universally known by all who speak German.

My parents are German and came to America in 1950 and 1956. My sister was born while my parents were still overseas and I was born a year after they were in the states. I only spoke German until I started school as a young child in which I obvioulsly had to learn English. Growing up in America had me speaking English more than German, but my parents always did, and still continue to speak German to me. For this reason my ability to understand is much greater than my ability to fluently write or speak.

While it would take me too long to try to form a gramatically sound answer to all of your questions I will most likely respond to your posts listed below in English, unless of course you cannot speak English, then I would be happy to take a little extra time and work on a German response to you.

Thank you for all of your extremely kind and enthusiatic words regarding me and my fitness products. It is an honor to be able to inspire and help keep all of us healthy and fit around the world.

Have a wonderful day!
Cathe

Hi Cathe,
That is how my husband and I met. He was stationed in Germany. We met while he was stationed in a little town called Zirndorf. I lived in Nurenberg. We were married 1 year later in Denemark. We have been happily married for 23 years and still counting. We have two children one 18 the other 21. Both doing well in scool. My daughter is fluent in both languages. My husband is still in the Army (26 years). We are trying to decide where to retire.

As for your German it is very good. My dialect is Fraenkisch. I think it is great that your parents taught you to speak both languages and respect your heritige. The world would be much closer if more people did the same.
Thanks for the kind words!
Have a wonderful day!

Tschuess!

Belinda:) :) :)

Hallo Belinda! The name of the town is Warjasch and probably not listed on the map anymore since it is a small part of the world that was once part of Austria/Hungary.

:)

Hi Donnamarie! I asked my parents but they are not familiar with that recipe. One I do remember while growing up was Rohack. It would never be a hit now due to the raw meat, but it consisted of high quality, lean, fresh ground beef, smeared on a piece of fresh rye bread, topped with a thick layer of chopped onions, and heavily sprinkled with salt and pepper.

Hi Belinda,

I just had to tell you that my mother and I lived in Zirndorf for two years many years ago. I haven't heard it's name for so long! Good memories!

Mary

Hi Mary,
I have nice memories from Zirndorf too from many many years ago!!!I believe the post closed down more than 10-15 years ago? Wow! I'm going down memory lane!!1:) :) :)
Thanks Belinda

Cathe,
Thanks for your reply in German. I think I may have mentioned in an earlier post that my parents and older sister were born there, and I was born here. (Actually, I'm in South Jersey, too.) I just obtained dual citizenship last spring. Like in your household, German became less frequently spoken as my sister and I grew up. However, my parents and I do still switch back and forth. But interestingly, even though it was her native tongue, my sister does not like to speak it at all. I smiled when I read your comment about it being easier to understand than to speak. When I visit family overseas, I always say it'd be simpler for them to speak to me in German and I respond in English, but they always get on my case about it and want me to speak German all the time. :)

The Rohack sounds a lot like Hackepeter, one of my favorites (but I only eat it there!)

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to write back to everyone in German. I think it would be great if in your next DVD you would shout at us auf Deutsch. "Schneller! Schneller!" :D

PS...Just curious about your name...Is Cathe short for Catherine? I was named after my Uroma, Katharina, but my parents decided to give me the English spelling, Catherine.

Belinda,
I forgot to mention...whatever info you need on NYC, just let me know.

Mmm! Those treats sound good. My family does send me some goodies now and then, but I'm glad they didn't this year as I'm trying to clean up my diet! However, I've noticed over the years that you can buy more and more German products (e.g. lebkuchen, Milka chocolate, Ritter Sport, usw.) here in the States. In fact, one of my students (who is of Italian heritage and kept busting me about the Italian victory in the World Cup this summer) gave me a package of lebkuchen for Christmas "as a peace offering," he said. :D Smart kid!! :)

Hi there,

Could anyone please provide are more detailed translation for this bit of Cathe's response below? I don't know a stitch of German; did she mention something about her father being in the US army and something or other that went on when she was in Kindergarten that she didn't mention in the English version. (I don't want to miss a single thing!)

Thanks so much.

Cathe wrote:
Meine Mutter und Vater kamen im 1956 und 1950 nach Amerika. Sie heirateten im 1960. Kurz danach ging mein Vater in die amerikanische Armee. Er wurde nach Deutschland stationiert. Meine Mutter folgte ihm. Sie waren fuer 2 Jahre in Augsburg. In dieser Zeit wurde meine Schwester geboren. Ich bin erst ein Jahr nach der Heimkehr in Amerika geboren. Weil wir nur Deutsch zu hause hoerten sprachen meine Schwester und ich nur Deutsch bis wir in den Kindergarten gingen. Meine Eltern sprechen heute noch die meiste Zeit die Muttersprache im Haus. Aber als dann die Schule anfing mussten wir English sprechen und so ist dann immer weniger Deusch gesprochen worden. Habe auch in der Hochschule Deutsch als Fremdsprache gelernt. Heute habe ich ueberhaupt wenigGlegenheit deutsch zu sprechen und das lasst sich an meiner Aussprache deutlich merken.

Yes, she did.

Her mother and father came to the States in 1956 and 1950. They married in 1960. Shortly thereafter, Cathe's father went into the American Army and was stationed in Germany. Her mother followed him. They were in Augsburg for 2 years. During that time, Cathe's sister was born. Cathe was born a year after they returned to the U.S. Since they only heard German at home, Cathe and her sister spoke only German until they went into kindergarten. Her parents today still speak German most of the time at home. Once school started and they had to speak English, always less German was spoken. Cathe also took German in high school. Today, she has little opportunity to speak German and you can hear that in her speech.

~Cathy :)

>Hi there,
>
>Could anyone please provide are more detailed translation for
>this bit of Cathe's response below? I don't know a stitch of
>German; did she mention something about her father being in
>the US army and something or other that went on when she was
>in Kindergarten that she didn't mention in the English
>version. (I don't want to miss a single thing!)
>
>Thanks so much.
>
>
>Cathe wrote:
>Meine Mutter und Vater kamen im 1956 und 1950 nach Amerika.
>Sie heirateten im 1960. Kurz danach ging mein Vater in die
>amerikanische Armee. Er wurde nach Deutschland stationiert.
>Meine Mutter folgte ihm. Sie waren fuer 2 Jahre in Augsburg.
>In dieser Zeit wurde meine Schwester geboren. Ich bin erst ein
>Jahr nach der Heimkehr in Amerika geboren. Weil wir nur
>Deutsch zu hause hoerten sprachen meine Schwester und ich nur
>Deutsch bis wir in den Kindergarten gingen. Meine Eltern
>sprechen heute noch die meiste Zeit die Muttersprache im Haus.
>Aber als dann die Schule anfing mussten wir English sprechen
>und so ist dann immer weniger Deusch gesprochen worden. Habe
>auch in der Hochschule Deutsch als Fremdsprache gelernt. Heute
>habe ich ueberhaupt wenigGlegenheit deutsch zu sprechen und
>das lasst sich an meiner Aussprache deutlich merken.
>
>

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.