Career ladies - what kind of suits do you buy?

red_mct

Cathlete
I would really like to get a couple of new suits for the office, but so far I dislike the pants on EVERY suit I've tried. They seem to all feature very high waists (and/or pleats and look like balloons!). I'm wondering if anyone has found a good line for suits that are suitable for corporate wear and feature pants with a mid-rise and a jacket that is not too short. (Short jackets are all the rage this year and I have a couple of sports jackets that are shorter, but I don't particularly like how they look and I think the trend will probably end sooner rather than later, so.)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Marie

I always buy separates so that way I can get whatever pants I like. I often get a jacket with a pattern of some sort and a pair of plain slacks, usually black, but then, I'm very boring. I agree with you--there is nothing flattering about high waisted OR pleated front pants.

Michele:)

Michele, I usually do that, too, but I was recently promoted and have had some high-profile meetings where everyone looks like $1 million dollar matching twins. I really want a couple of awesome suits - I keep thinking of something navy with a green pinstripe....

Thanks for your input!

:7
Marie

Congratulations on your promotion!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find the perfect "Chairwoman of the Board" suit:D

Michele:)

How about suits from Express?

I have a really difficult time finding suits that fit. I'm VERY small on top, but I also have really long arms. This means I need a 0/2 to fit the top, but a size a 6 or 8 to have long enough sleeves.

Anyone know of suits that are cut smaller through the body...but still have longer sleeves?

Lisa

I second the recommendation for Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft. Their pants come in three styles for waist - at the waist, slightly below the waist, and low waist. Great suits with styles that are classic and last for years.

Also J.Crew has some georgeous things (not that I wear suits to work...but looking at the catalog sometimes I wish I did!) They have mix-match stuff with jackets, pants (diff styles), skirts, etc that all go together.

I concur with the Ann Taylor/ATL suggestions.

Kristy

Hi, Marie. I couldn't agree more. I can't stand high-waisted or pleated pants. I haven't been shopping in a while, and I REALLY hope that isn't the latest fashion. I just try to buy a lot when the fashion goes my way, and wait it out when the fashion tide turns against me. I have a few suits with lower-waisted pants with a flat front and a flared leg and I wear them constantly.

As for brands, they all seem to follow the fashion as far as I can see. I don't stick to any particular brand. As long as it's a petite and I like the style, the brand doesn't matter much.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!
-Nancy

I buy almost all my suits from Ann Taylor. They fit my body the best, and don't break the bank. They have several sales a year and I just always stock up when they have a sale. J Crew suits are nice too, but they don't go on sale as often so end up being more expensive. Unfortunately, people in that sort of business world can tell if you are wearing a cheap suit or one that is not made well (I have heard partners making snide comments about someone's suit). It is dumb, I know, but I don't want to be that person. So I would just get a few nicely made plain suits (blue, black, gray) and then have several cute tops to wear with each suit and jewerly to make it more trendy and fun. Go for style in the accessories, but keep the suit totally classic so you can wear it for years and years to come.

Thanks,
Diane

I love Ann Taylor, too, but I hate most of the pants that they sell with their suits--or at least the ones I've tried. If I'm getting a full suit from Ann Taylor, I go for a skirt. But mostly I get separates.

Here's another vote for Ann Taylor:) And just in case you're interested here's a couple of promotional codes:

Ann Taylor: 35600001 this is good for 15% off of $100 dollars or more or 20% off $175 or more it's good until Feb 26 online only.

Ann Taylor Loft: 35700001 15% off of $75 or more or 20% off of $150 dollars or more also until Feb 26 online only.

I received an email from Ann Taylor a couple of days ago showing their new spring suits and they have some really nice ones.

Happy shopping:)

Jacque

>I love Ann Taylor, too, but I hate most of the pants that
>they sell with their suits--or at least the ones I've tried.
>If I'm getting a full suit from Ann Taylor, I go for a skirt.
>But mostly I get separates.

I hate Ann Taylor pants and skirts...only because they don't come in sizes small enough for me (the saleslady apologized for not carrying "negative" sizesx( ). If you normally wear a size 2 or smaller, I wouldn't recommend shopping there. Their size zeros are tremendous!! J Crew has a great selection that you can mix and match and even small sizes for the little people:)

Robin :)

St. John suits are beautiful and travel well also. If you take good care of them they should last for many many years, like classics always do!
claudia

I once found a great suit at Bebe, believe it or not. Black, pants were lower raised, waist was fitted, flared leg. The jacket was cut perfectly, tidy and trimmed to accentuate my lines. It was the best $300 bucks my DH spent! ;P Actually I hardly wear suits since I'm a nurse, but I keep a few choice, tailored pieces around for those meetings or seminars.

I also agree about Ann Taylor. Macy's has a line that may work, called INC? Looks professional enough, but not to dowdy.

Marla

>I once found a great suit at Bebe, believe it or not. Black,
>pants were lower raised, waist was fitted, flared leg. The
>jacket was cut perfectly, tidy and trimmed to accentuate my
>lines. It was the best $300 bucks my DH spent! ;P Actually I
>hardly wear suits since I'm a nurse, but I keep a few choice,
>tailored pieces around for those meetings or seminars.
>

Oh, I do love the Bebe suits (they are usually true to size and you can get a size zero pant;))...I have a few that I wear out to dinner dates with friends, but they are "very trendy" and the jackets this year are short (and the last few). I think I have a few pictures in a Bebe suit that I can share:) I only expect to get a another year out of them before they are out of date. For business, I usually stick with the classics (ie: a pencil skirt is still timelss because the hemline doesn't really change) and you can get years out of them.

Robin:)

I have driven to Buffalo - from TO - just to go and shop Kaufmanns for their selection of Anne Klein suits... and if you hit one of their great sales - it can be quite reasonable $100 - $200 range.

Love Ann Taylor also - but I find that their pants are not long enough - and another vote for Banana Republic.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.