Career ladies - what kind of suits do you buy?

I've always purchased my suits from Petite Sophisticate. You could also try their sister store Casual Corner as well.
Susan C.M.

Ladies, thanks for all of your input. I am definitely going to take up some of your suggestions. Maybe I will get around to posting whatever I end up buying...

:7
Marie

For me it Jones New York, Kasper, and Tahari. I'll await their inevitable arrival to the sales rack at Filenes or Macys. I've also had good luck getting great prices at Steinmart.

Beavs, I bought 3 Tahari skirt suits a few months ago, and I enjoy wearing them when I feel like putting on pantyhose. Lord & Taylor has gone nuts with the Tahari petite suits, and Lord & Taylor prices are unbelievably low. I got all 3 suits for less than I normally pay for one suit!

I agree that Jones, Kaspar and Tahari are a great way to go if you can get away with having the top and bottom in the same size. I find that in order for me to get the jacket to fit, the skirt will tend to be a bit big. But I enjoy the roomy waistbands and just have the skirts shortened so they hit in the right place.

-Nancy

Nancy, I'm glad you posted that. The suits I have been trying on have been Kaspar and Tahari. Gorgeous, but the pants are just wrong. Now, how do you know you can get them tailored to fit right vs. they're just wrong, period? I'm usually pretty good with clothes, but when you're buying matched pieces, it is difficult when you're not perfectly proportioned. Anyway, anyone have any thoughts about that? i.e., what is a good indicator in the waist/hip/stomach area that you just need to have them tailored? or is it better to get pants that fit and have the jacket tailored?

Marie

Marie-
I limit myself to having things shortened, period. I don't like to take a gamble on having it tailored to fit otherwise. I can live with a loose waistband, and just have the skirt or pants shortened so that they fall at the right place. But that's just me.

If you have a really good tailor, I would go for having the jacket fit well, and having the pants or skirt tailored. Watch out, though, for styling details that will interfere with tailoring. Leave the tags on until you take the suit to the tailor just in case.

-Nancy

Marie, have them tailored. I have done that numerous times (because I'm short) & you better believe, I often get complements on my clothes. The truth is, I do take the time/money to tailor.

I think both Petite Sophisticate and Casual Corner are going out of business if they aren't already gone. I like Ann Taylor as well.

Leslie

Oh, that's not nice.....now I'm going to have to look, and I have absolutely NO willpower when it comes to Anne Taylor *reaching for credit card while typing* because those suits are the best! (Just kidding- thanks for the promo codes!)

I bought a Melani (sp.) suit at Dillards a few weeks ago, and I really like it. The pants are cut a little lower and the coat only comes down to the top of my hips. I'm kinda big on top, and long coats make me look chunky. I spent a month looking, though, before I found a suit I liked. Oh, and I found a Tahari suit on Overstock.com that turned out pretty nice and was 70% off!

L

I have bought lots of Ellen Tracy, Dana Buchmann, Tahari, and Anne Klein over the years, and have they are timeless. Classical styles are always easily updated with accessories:)

Ann Marie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.