Can we talk about Woody Allen

40something

I'm going to start off by saying I'm not single-ing out anyone here, okay? But, I often see people on the forums quoting Woody Allen and when I do I have to wonder why anyone would idolize this man. Then I think, it must be that the younger generation isn't aware of Woody Allen's past. The fact that he is married to his former adopted daughter and that Mia Farrow has always speculated that Woody probably molested this girl long before she was ever of legal age. We all read about this stuff in the papers years ago. And it was sickening enough when Woody Allen started making public appearances with this young girl on his arm, not as his daughter but as his new girlfriend. And then he married her.

To me, idolizing this man is comparable to idolizing John Wayne Gacy or Jeffrey Daumer or Michael Jackson. I just don't understand it but maybe it's just me?

Just something I needed to get off of my chest today. I don't even see movies that Woody Allen has had any part of. The man just makes me sick.

I can't stand the guy either. Not only is his personal history deplorable, but his movies are nothing but male fantasy flicks couched as artsy & intelligent.

Woody has clearly had some self esteem issues that are common to unattractive, middle aged men, & he's been fortunate enough to use the cinema as therapy & his position of power to seduce young girls.

He is a sad, sad man.

I don't think quoting a person neccessarily means you idolize him. I think it just means you like the quote. I think some of Woody Allen's films are funny. And he wrote a short story that is a classic. Sorry, but I can't remember the name, but it is about a man who jumps into classic novels with the help of a machine. It is a riot.

It's possible to quote Woody Allen without idolizing him. A lot of us remember with fondness the younger Woody Allen, but that does not mean we whole-heartedly accept and condone his present state of affairs (pun intended).

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." Mark Twain ;-)

i don't idolize billy joel, don't really even like his music, but i do love the line "i would rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints". honestly, i don't see much to idolize in hollywood in general. there is really too much celebrity worship going on these days when there are so many truly great people that are overlooked because they don't have fame and fortune or might not be quite as beautiful as a celebrity. just my 2 cents.

I agree. I may think a quote is witty, insightful or right on target but I don't idolize anyone.

I had this long reply typed out, and then my BF said this: "Just because he's a pedophile doesn't mean he isn't talented."

Mia Farrow's "speculation" about molestation and "probablies" do not equal truth. He left her. Do you really expect her to be objective?

I neither condone nor condemn his actions. He is an artist and therefore I am free to watch and judge his artistic output for its own cultural merit.

We have to separate the cultural product from the living author/producer/director behind it, otherwise we will have to condemn half the cultural production of the western world due to the misogynist, homophobic, classist, xenophobic nature of its producers.

I enjoy Woody Allen's movies. As far as his personal life is concerned, I don't give a rats butt what he does. I don't idolize him. I also think Mia is a little wacky herself, so I take what she has to say with a grain of salt.

Nothing was ever proven about Allen moesting anyone and yeah, I agree the ex girlfriend or wife is a little out there.
Woody Allen is a brilliant filmmaker and writer. I love his movies. I own many of his movies. What I think of him has nothing to do with his personal life and that is my business.

I've never been a WA fan so the news that he was potentially a perv didn't change my movie viewing one way or another. And, as Maddiesmum says, Mia Farrow cannot be called an impartial accuser! I have to say though, if it were to be found true, I would most definitely condemn his actions. Child molesting is reprehensible, and I just couldn't sit there getting a kick out of his movies, knowing that about him. Being an artist doesn't get him a free pass on being morally bankrupt. BTW, I'm not convicting Woody here. I have no idea as to his guilt. I'm just speculating on the what if.

Sparrow

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!"— Peter Sage

So, those of you who like Woody Allen condone the fact that he is married to a girl he adopted and raised as his child?

Molestation charges aside...having a sexual relationship with this girl was/is just morally wrong, but this is mho.

Interesting viewpoints.

Woody Allen didn't adopt the girl who became his wife. One of Mia Farrow's other husbands did - Andre Previn I think? I'm pretty sure that they did have an adopted and biological child together, though.

I wasn't a big fan of Woody Allen before this happened, but the whole situation with Mia Farrow's daughter really turned me off and I won't watch his movies and I definitely wouldn't put any money in his pocket by going to see any of them.

Erica

Woody Allen having an affair with his wife's adopted daughter did gross me out when I heard about it. Still does.

But even if I didn't know about that, I wouldn't like Woody Allen's movies anyway. He likes to just stick a camera in one place in a room (or on a steadicam), do loooong takes, and just let the characters drone on. I don't find his neuroses interesting. And, in the few movies of his I've seen, he always seems to have some young girl interested in him. Ew!

I try to divorce someone's personal life from their art if I don't approve of their deeds. And until Woody Allen kills several people, there is NO WAY I'd compare him to Gacy or Dahmer.

I love Woody Allen movies, I love his humor, and I love his insights. And while I don't condone his adulterous behavior, I'm in no position to judge him. I'm simply entertained and engaged by his writing.

I own several of his movies and have no qualms about watching them again and again. "Match Point" was one of the very best films I saw last year.

He'll meet his maker and have to explain or repent his deeds in due time. I feel I'm in no position to do that.

Interesting discussion. So glad it's remained civil so far :)

Just a couple of comments. First off, I think in the case of Woody Allen we can't say "the man is not his art." He's made his millions on the concept that he *is* his films: neurotic, New York, etc. That's his whole shtick (did I spell that right?).

Second, are you guys saying that you don't know if he's guilty, so you won't condemn him, or that even if he is guilty of molesting, it doesn't matter as long as his films are good? He's an adulterer. I don't care. That's between spouses. However, it is infintely creepy that he would court and marry a young girl he helped raise. I think she was 18 when it all came out, but do any of us really believe that he wasn't attracted to/flirting with her etc. earlier on? At what age did it start?

Last point, if the man is guilty, what does his art have to do with anything? If you had a great hairdresser/caterer/tailor who did these things, would you continue to use his/her services? If you had a child who was violated, would you resent those who said, "my caterer's actions have nothing to do with his excellent food, so I'll continue to use him."

No offense intended to anyone. I'm enjoying the debate. :)

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Well said Sparrow. Personally, I've really never liked Woody Allen movies. They are all too similar and his affect is grating to me(although I am interested in seeing Match Point). I do think he is creepy because he married such a young woman who happened to be the adopted daughter of his wife. From what I understand, he acted as a surrogate father to this girl for years. YUCKY!

That being said, he is not a murderer and I wouldn't think of comparing him to one. I can think of many other actors who are just as creepy. Tom Cruise, Michael Douglass, Roman Polanski (not an actor but just as weird), Charlie Sheen, Alec Baldwin, Brad Pitt(not exactly creepy, but has made some strange decisions recently), the list goes on and on. Hollywood people are strange.

carolyn

I don't care about famous people's personal lives because they don't care about mine:+ That does not in any way insuinuate condoning any sexual contact with minors. (I'm bracing to get slammed for this but...) Celine Dion's questionable decades long Svengali like relationship with her manager/husband sure didn't hurt her reputation, record sales or artistic image.

I think Woody Allen's movies and stories are funny and provocative. His humour distracts me from the cares of my daily life and make me feel something or think in a way that I hadn't thought before. That is the essence of art, his craft makes me feel something, his personal life (or any stanger's for that matter) is not something any of us can be objective about. JMHO:)

Take Care
Laurie:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.