Can I Just Vent?

Beth-B-Fit

Cathlete
Lately I've not felt like working out. I'm sick of my the office politics at my job. I'm bored with my life. My baby went to college and I'm trying not to cry all the time. I feel like I'm getting old and ugly and I need some help. I hate the shift I work because I have to get up so early. I'm sorry...I know I should be thankful for all I have...like being in decent shape/health and able to do so much without pain. I have all my basic needs met and then some. I know I should be thankful but I just am sick of everything. Nothing gives me any joy anymore. I hate trying to not gain weight all the time. I hate everything. All I do is the same stuff every day. I feel like I'm losing a grip on being in control of myself. I don't know how to get out of it.

Does anyone else ever feel like this? Any suggestions to help would be much appreciated. I am overwhelmed with all my responsibilities. I almost feel like giving up and just getting drunk all the time. But of course I don't because I'm responsible. Blah blah blah.

First of all, you need to give yourself permission to 'mourn' your empty nest. Your baby, who you have spent so many years taking care of ... is off to college, doing what you have taught her to do.

As a parent, we spend SO much time taking care of the needs of others, that we've really forgotten who we are - separate from that.

I am going to suggest two things:

(1) Exercise. Force yourself to do it. Try something new - buy a groupon for a hot yoga, a bootcamp, arial yoga, crossfit, pilates, whatever. Get yourself out of the house and involved in a group activity.

(2) Get a hobby and take lessons. Want to learn to paint? Write? Knit? Run? Join a book club. Something you enjoy. Want a challenge of training for a tri? There are many groups you can find that will offer the community training feeling.

But mostly -what you are going through is completely normal. It's OK to feel the way you do. And it's also OK if you feel you need a little bit of prescription help to knock you back into your normal frame of mind. It's one of life's big stressors, and sometimes we all need a bit of help.

(Hug)

I've felt this way at times, and I find positive thoughts beget positive feelings. A good workout & perhaps a "mental health" day ; ) can also help. I'm looking foward to a sunny southern California vacation starting next week & I know that always makes me feel good!

Do some soul searching on what you want out of this new phase of your life. Then shake it up and make it happen!

Do you have a good support system (besides us, that is -- we're here for you, of course). It will help to reach out to friends, family, church, whatever support system you have. Don't go it alone. If it continues for awhile, consider checking in with your doctor. I agree with the other suggestions about exercise and hobbies. Set some goals and start working toward them. Mainly be good to yourself.

hi Beth:

my youngest of two daughters has also just started college and I too now have an empty nest, so I get it 100%. I am in the exact same position as you and experiencing much of the same emotional toll as you.

I dropped my girl off in Mass, 11 hours road trip away from MI here I live. I'm from the UK: nobody there is ever 11 hours by road away from their kid at college, the British isles just 'aint that big. So, it's taking me a while to process this also. I cried on and off all summer, I began my mourning of the end of the last 20 years of my life spent mothering early. That's how mourning is: it has its own timetable. I cried on and off on the journey home, but I did not cry much when we said goodbye because my baby herself was distraught and needed me to be strong to help her separate from me, stay where she is and make her life in her new community of friends and scholars.

Skype helps. Skype is bloody marvellous. We Skype every day at the moment: she chats with her big sister (eldest daughter still lives at home this year, but attends the U of Michigan here in town), then I walk by and see her on the screen and she shares highlights and lowlights (!) of her day with me. It's like she's right here in the room and has never left. I recommend Skype highly for keeping in touch. I am very close to my youngest: she is the member of family the most like me in terms of attitude, approach to people and society, in terms of reaction, humour, etc. I understand her and she me, better than I do my own husband, who, like my eldest daughter, is on another whole wavelength. That's how it is in families.

t is true: we are sad, but, it's because we did our job so marvellously well. I have always known that from the minute my children were born, it has been my job to prepare them to leave me and be independent. With each day that passes, I see less sadness on my daughter's face via Skype, so I know she is getting on with things, getting adjusted to college life and making a place for herself. This is all excellent. I would be in even more pain if I knew she was there and not here and in agony, pain and tears every day and not functioning. So, this is all good news and exactly what is supposed to happen.

But, I have a hole in my life now. How to fill it?

It doesn't help that I have been an adjunct instructor at the university for the last few years and that this year they did not offer me a contract, so I no have no job either.

You and I are now on the threshold of the new. It should be an exciting place, but for me, and i suspect for you also, it is still only scary and empty. I am re-evaluating. I need a new career path, so I have to choose a new avenue in which to venture. No real clue which to choose as yet. I am being very honest about my feelings and my position to anyone who knows me and who is interested enough to ask. They might have useful feedback for me, so I really can't lose. I am currently thinking about starting an online doctoral program while working, as the best way to change careers and also fund the change. I can't just do any old job for the next 20-25 years, I am not built that way. I need mental stimulation and satisfaction. So......

You are not required to stay in the same place career-wise either. You might, for example, stay in the same field, but take a different job, one with more responsibility, more contact with people, or one that requires more analytical thinking, whatever it is that your personality needs. Or, like me, you might need a major over-haul and radical new way of thinking. If so, start thinking, talking to people, reading about career switches others have made and how they did it, etc. Start researching possible further education classes you can take to help accumulate more credentials and offer you alternative avenues for employment. You are not required to stay in a stagnant place for the rest of your life. Our children are moving on and broaching the new: why should we not do the same?

More magazine specializes in talking to women at our stage of life. Each month features articles on women who have reached the stage of needing a re-boot,and shows ho they went about achieving it It can be inspiring reading. Try it.

I am still extremely angry and upset about my contract not being renewed, but I cannot dwell on it because otherwise the negativity will swamp me and drag me down. I was actually taking an antidepressant earlier this summer tome deal with perimenopause, Wellbutrin, the only one I have ever been able to tolerate, but I stopped taking it last week: I couldn't focus my eyes and had unexplained muscle aches all over, interfering with my workouts. Can't have that. I need to read and I need exercise and I need both of those way more than I need to take pills.

Medication has never been the answer for me, never. It has its place in treating bio-chemical depression and anxiety. But if your sadness is caused by life circumstances rather than recurring episodes of depression you have experienced your whole life, then you are actually better off having those feelings, experiencing them and dealing with them. We are not supposed to numb life away. Life is not happy, happy, joy, joy in an unrelenting manner. And neither does it help to be told to "think positive." For those for whom positive thinking comes naturally, I am happy for you. But we are not all blessed with that personality. Some of us are just more serious in our approach to life, some of us feel things more deeply and think about things more deeply. That's who we are. 'Aint no changing that.

That's the moment you and I are currently in, Beth. So, be in it. Feel your feelings. You are grieving the closing of a major chapter of your life: mothering, parenting, being NEEDED daily by another. These processes constituted a massive validation of our presence and role in our childrens' lives. Now, we need to locate that validation elsewhere. Back inside ourselves again ad in our own futures lived primarily as women and not mothers.

I am thrilled my daughter is thriving, at the same time as I miss her daily. Such a contradictory bunch of emotions! I am also making myself keep my workouts going. Now is not the time to embark upon a major rotation set for me by somebody else and whose daily requirements I will inevitably fail to accomplish because my mind is just elsewhere right now and I'm just too emotional in a potentially volatile way, flip-flopping around. Now is the time to workout when YOU want to, and to do whatever workouts YOU want to do, purely for FUN, for JOY, for the SAKE OF FEELING YOUR BODY MOVE THROUGH SPACE and to contact you and ground you back inside your physical body. You are more than a mother whose child has grown and gone on to learn from others. You are still a woman with plenty of life, years and adventures ahead of her: people to meet, places to go, things to do and not do (because you just don't want to!) and things to discover about yourself.

You are a territory that you have not fully mapped yet, a book whose pages remain half empty, waiting for you to fill them with actions and thoughts that describe who you are. Who you are beyond a mother.

It is exciting, and scary. I'm traveling the same road as you. You are absolutely NOT ALONE, nor weird, nor freaky for feeling these things.

I am trying also to include as much pleasure in my daily life as I can at the moment. I am reading for pleasure a lot. I am seeing people, friends, going to movies, chatting to people, getting out for long walks, reserving my workout time for me and also saying a resounding NO when people try to make me do shit I feel is wrong for me. I just did that. I said NO to a request and now that person no longer talks to me. So be it. How good a friend cans he have been anyway if she was only friends because of what I could do for her?

I'd love to drag my husband to ballroom dancing classes. He won't go. Maybe I will bump into a stranger at the bookstore one day soon who expresses an interest? I'm up for it! Open mind: say "yes" to things, opportunities and invitations. Risk new things. Dare yourself. Get out of that comfort zone, incrementally, to induce new growth as a human being. Start with reading a book in a genre you never usually even consider. Pluck a new magazine off the shelves at the bookstore. Speak to a new person in a cafe. Try a new workout style or sport or dance: rowing? fencing? ballroom?

Tell me how you are getting on, and I hope some of this helps.

Clare

Lately I've not felt like working out. I'm sick of my the office politics at my job. I'm bored with my life. My baby went to college and I'm trying not to cry all the time. I feel like I'm getting old and ugly and I need some help. I hate the shift I work because I have to get up so early. I'm sorry...I know I should be thankful for all I have...like being in decent shape/health and able to do so much without pain. I have all my basic needs met and then some. I know I should be thankful but I just am sick of everything. Nothing gives me any joy anymore. I hate trying to not gain weight all the time. I hate everything. All I do is the same stuff every day. I feel like I'm losing a grip on being in control of myself. I don't know how to get out of it.

Does anyone else ever feel like this? Any suggestions to help would be much appreciated. I am overwhelmed with all my responsibilities. I almost feel like giving up and just getting drunk all the time. But of course I don't because I'm responsible. Blah blah blah.

Ditto

That's all I can add! I've read the responses with interest. xx

Hugs

I'm not a mom, so I don't entirely know how you feel.

However, I have struggled with grief and depression in my life. And the things that I have found to be very helpful are:

1. Yoga even if only for 10 minutes in the morning. There's a book called yoga for depression that I found in borders so many years ago now, and it has been very helpful to me.

2. I second the idea of going out and interacting with other people. I go on meet ups of different kinds. I am especially fond of photography, hiking, and book clubs. I have also done ballroom dancing. You don't need a partner :) you can just go, and dance with other guys. There are lots of men to dance with. They are always looking for someone new to try leading with.

I pretty much agree with everything else that has been said by the other ladies on the form. It makes sense that you would feel grief and sadness because your baby has gone away to school. It's just normal. All that it shows is that you are a good mom who cares for her baby.

Last edited:
Life is not easy, but the one thing you can depend on is change. Things might not seem great now, but who knows what will happen in the future? It will get better---bad times always seem to be overtaken by better times.

Take care of yourself, treat yourself to something, and realize that you are worth it. If you need help, please get it. It sounds like you have a family who loves you, and really, that's all that matters in the end. Guided meditation helped me through a horrible time at work (hostile work environment)---Deepak Chopra has some great releases that are on iTunes. You can listen for 5-10 mins before bedtime.

I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, all

Just a note to say thank you for all the encouragement. I was just at a really bad, low place last night. I was exhausted from work...too exhausted to even work out-which really helps me deal with my stress. I've been following a rotation and I'm not blaming the rotation but I think with my job I just can't do rotations. I never know how many hours I'll be at work and then when I'm too tired to face an hour or more of exercise I feel bad about that, too. So I've decided to just do what I feel like doing for a while and if it's only 30 of intense, then so be it. It's enough!

Clare, I do keep in touch with my son via the phone and e-mail. He's doing fabulous at Penn State and I've kept my sadness of his leaving out of our exchanges. He really wants to be in charge of himself and "prove" to us that he can handle college life. So we are giving him space. He has already needed things from us-and has asked for them, so we know if he does need us he'll ask.

I feel like I "reinvented" myself 7 years ago when I went back to school and became a nurse. I've finally been in a regular, full time job longer than five years for the first time in my life! I get 3 weeks vacation-paid even!, so I don't know what I'll do on the job front. I'll probably just grin and bear it. I love, love, love the patients I take care of and I try to focus on that at work and not "hang out" at the nurse's stations much. It worked today, I'm home two hours earlier because of less crises at work at I'm getting ready to go do my all time favorite Cathe workout: Pyramid Upper Body!

Thanks again, everyone. I appreciate the support. I have decided to get together with at least 4 friends a month now that I have more time.

Namaste...

Beth

Beth,

I can totally understand your frustrations at work. I worked in a hospital for 9 yrs and the only thing good I can say about that is it helped pay for me to become a RN and I met my husband in the ER (paramedic). As I was going to school, the RN's on the floor always said, "don't become a nurse, do something else." Well, as I worked longer at the hospital and was down to my last 6 months of college, I realized they were right. So I finished school but never took my RN exam. I instead quite the hospital and ran a Patient Service Center through a local lab. I loved that until 5 yrs later when management changed, then everything good about the job changed. I lasted 1 more yr then quit. I now stay at home to take care of my husband and dogs (which are my kids). I also caddy for my husband when he has golf tournaments (on the mini tour). So I can understand how you feel because the medical field SUCKS!!!! I wish you the best and hope your son does great at Penn State.

Kim

I I have also done ballroom dancing. You don't need a partner :) you can just go, and dance with other guys. There are lots of men to dance with. They are always looking for someone new to try leading with.

Where do you live? The men where I live don't like women who dance better than they do. I'm not going to dumb down my dancing skills just to have someone to dance with. I quit and haven't looked back. I do miss dancing with my instructor more than anything.

Even though I don't have children, I know how Beth-B-Fit feels. I'm in a rut and can't seem to get out of it.

I I have also done ballroom dancing. You don't need a partner :) you can just go, and dance with other guys. There are lots of men to dance with. They are always looking for someone new to try leading with.

Where do you live? The men where I live don't like women who dance better than they do. I'm not going to dumb down my dancing skills just to have someone to dance with. I quit and haven't looked back. I do miss dancing with my instructor more than anything.

Even though I don't have children, I know how Beth-B-Fit feels. I'm in a rut and can't seem to get out of it.

I live in Sacramento

I suggest getting your hormones checked. I felt like this last year. I found out I have thyroid issues. I'm now on medication and I feel so much better.

Wow - I just had this exact conversation today. Totally bored/disengaged with life - work, self, always worried about looks/weight/age, etc. If this is what aging is going to be like, ..,,ugh. Just sucks. Although I know younger people feeling similarly, so it isn't all aging. Trying to engaged in things but so disinterested it's hard to motivate to do so, so in a circular cycle. Need to force myself. I know it will eventuatlly pass but right now it sucks. Feeling your pain!

Last edited:
Getting older is not easy because our value to the world changes. How others treat us changes and it's hard. I used tp be cute. At work 25 years ago I was that cute engineer that guys would come to talk to. Now I'm mom. I'm far more serious and focused and don't want to be considered that cute engineer girl anymore but still I often feel so old amongst the younger. Being an older female engineer is not as easy as being an older male one. I understand work frustration. Men go further even with personality issues that would stonewall women. My nest is not empty but you just emerged into a very hard transition. Forgive yourself for having reasonable feelings such as the ones you expressed.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.