Calling all the new mommies!

Liann

Cathlete
Ok, I know several have had our babies in the last few months and the updates are here there and everywhere. How about if we all an update here so we can catch up? How are things going now? How old are your little ones? Recent appointments? Etc...

Akadia is 10 weeks old now, will be 11 weeks on Wednesday. I cannot believe she is nearing 3 months!!! She is getting a little more independent now where she will sit and play with her toys and hands while I get some work done. She's getting stronger with her head and neck, but still cannot really hold it up for long by herself. I'm working from home 2 days and week and then going into the office the other 3 while my mom watches Akadia. I think my mom lives for those 3 days! Her and my dad are retired and have been in seventh heaven spoiling their new grandbaby (she's their 14th, but there hasn't been a girl baby in a while). A's not really sleeping too good lately. She was great for a while, but lately she wakes up a lot. Hopefully, we can get her back on a good schedule again. She's up to 12 1/2 pounds now and about 24 1/2" long. The doctors say she isn't missing any meals. ;) Now your turn!

Hi everyone,

Liann-your little girl is so big and beautiful. She looks like your husband. She looks very strong in your pictures. I cant believe how fast the time is going! I saw the picture of A on that Bumbee chair thing and I cant believe she sits in that already. She looks so happy. Mines is still in the box....

My baby girl is 8 weeks today and her last appt was 09/09 she was 22.50in and almost 11 pounds and she got her first shot. It was the polio one. She is not sleeping through the night yet but she does sleep for 5 hours straight. She normally goes down between 8-10pm and then wakes around 3-4am which is great then she will go back to sleep around 6am until 11-1130. She sleeps on and off through out the day. She is sleeping very well but somehow I'm still tired. She does eat all the time and a lot of it. She poops around 4 times day. I am not breastfeeding I didnt stick with it. It was too much for me. I feel like I'm feeding her all day so I could not imagine her on my boob all day I feel overwhelmed at times with everything that goes on through out the day.
I think that samantha may be colic because she cries alot too. My other 2 girls were not so I dont know what I'm looking for and she still doesnt really smile. My 5 yr old ask me the other day why does she look so angry all the time. I thought it was so funny!

I think I'm going back to work at the end of Dec. I was thinking about taking a leave but I dont think it's financially possible. My 18 yr old just started college. It's going to be so hard leaving sam at only 4 months with my other 2 I was able to stay home for the 1 year.

okay let me stop rambling but I have a question.....
Everytime I sneeze or lift something I pee on myself is this happening to anybody else? It's so annoying I feel llike a child. I had to back off of the workouts because of this.

Hi ladies!

Getting ready to work out, Ill be back later for personals. Ladies do you have any new pictures of your babies posted here. Will try to be back a little later. Have a great day!

WW - Good to hear from you!!! I gave up on breastfeeding after about 3 weeks. She was never satisfied and would feed for over an hour and then want to eat again in less than an hour. I was at my wits end and couldn't get ANYTHING done. Plus she was never happy either. I am pumping now and feeding her breastmilk in a bottle. My supply has gone way up since pumping and I'm able to feed my little piggy without having to supplement so far and she is actually satisfied after a bottle. Pumping in itself is a whole other set of problems, but I'm trying to tough it out for her. Not sure what I'll do the next time around. I'll never understand why something that is supposed to be "natural" can be such a pain in the butt and come with a ton of problems - bad nipple latch, mastitis, plugged ducts, you name it. Anyways, don't beat yourself up over it. I've seen too many ladies on my other forum beat themselves up so much about it that they miss out on those first weeks with their baby.

LOL at the sneezing "issue"! I haven't had it much since having the baby, but while pregnant, I almost wet my pants several times! My sneezes were usually followed by me exclaiming "oh crap!" and running to the bathroom. ;)

Going back to work is tough. :( Glad you still have some time off.

Hi Lulu!!! Here's a post with some updated pictures of my girl (Post 1, 8 & 14):

http://cathe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278188

My avatar is her at 6 weeks.

not a new mom, but can answer a few Q.
dont sweat the sneezing, i bet your muscle is a little weak. maybe try doing kegel ex.

dont worry about it at all if nursing doesnt work out. many kids raised on formula and they are fine. wic gives coupons for free formula and other food. not same as link card, income can be higher and still qualify.
breast pump- get the electric double pump! electric is a must, and double saves time. wic gives them for free. the whole $200 pump set. worth checking into, and lots of advice if there are any issues.

Hi girls!!

Thanks for starting this thread Liann. I was wondering how everyone was doing. There are definitely a lot of challenges to being a new mom and taking care of a newborn, so it's nice to hear what others are going through and know that I'm not alone.

Morgan is doing really well. She's 7 weeks old now. We're not sleeping through the night yet, but this week she's only been getting me up once or twice and then she wakes up for good around 6:30. I am nursing and it seems to be going okay. I've also been trying to pump to store up for when I go back to work, but it's tough and I'm not getting much when I pump. I do have an electric double pump, but even after 15 minutes, I only get an ounce or two. I'm afraid I may have to switch her to formula when I go back to work in 2 weeks. We'll see how it goes.

Morgan is just starting to smile (which I love!) and is better at holding her head up, but isn't quite there yet. She's not in to taking naps which is tough. She's also been in a phase where she'll fall asleep nursing, but the second I try to set her down, she wakes up. She'll sleep well in my arms, but she doesn't understand why I can't just hold her all day long. Since I have to put her in day care when I go back to work, that will probably teach her how to fall asleep in ways other than nursing.

I'm trying to find time to work out, but since she doesn't nap well that's been tough. She also eats all the time. Some days I'm happy if I can at least get a shower, but I'm sure you know how that goes :) I haven't had the trouble with sneezing or lifting, but I know that's common for women who give birth. I did a lot of kegels while I was pregnant and I've continued them still, so I think that helps.

Thanks for sharing and giving updates. It's nice to hear from all of you.
Take care,
Carrie

Wow, I don't have anything to contribute, but to say thanks for this thread. It helps us mommies-to-be know what to expect or not to expect! Liann, your baby is a doll. Wishing all of you the best and lots of rest.

Carrie - A's almost 4 months and I'm still having a hard time getting a shower in! ;) How's the pumping going? It really took me a while to get my supply up. I started drinking the "Mother's Milk" tea and taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle supplements. If you can get in at least one pump really early in the morning, it helps boost production for some reason. I would also apply heat just before pumping to stimulate let down. I would have to say, it took a good 3 months to get where I am now. I have a huge stash in the freezer now and 6 bottles made up in the fridge at all times. I did have to supplement though while I was building up my supply.

A's newest thing is standing. She wants to stand all the time - with me holding her hands of course. We've tried encouraging her to do belly time and work on holding her head and shoulder up so she can learn to crawl, but all she wants to do is stand. She's also talking a LOT now. Nothing coherent of course, but she thinks she is carrying on a conversation. Sometimes, you cannot hear the tv over her! She's getting better at taking naps and sleeping through the night finally. All in all, things have been going well, although I'll admit she is a little clingy. Oh, and this is probably a bad thing, but she LOVES tv. She'll sit through the entire Little Mermaid and Monsters cartoons. Not that I'm trying to encourage her to get hooked on tv at this age. ;) We do limit it. :) She has her 4 month appointment in a few weeks. Can't wait to see how much she has grown. She's already in 9 month clothing, so I'm sure she's still in the top percentiles.

Liann - Morgan loves the TV too!! I don't let her watch it for more than 5 minutes or so at a time, but she seems to like the light, movement, voices, etc. She may end up being a TV junkie like her mommy - whoops!

It's hard to believe she's already 11 weeks old. She is able to sleep through the night from about 10 to 6, but I don't know if it's an established pattern yet or not. She's slept through the night for the past 6 nights in a row, but I'm trying to be realistic about the fact that there will likely still be several middle of the night feedings in our near future. I have a question regarding sleeping though - do any of you ladies swaddle your babies? Morgan sleeps very well swaddled, but I've heard that you shouldn't swaddle beyond 3 months of age and Morgan will be 3 months in another 2 weeks. If you swaddled, at what age did/will you stop?

I'm back at work now 3 days a week plus every other weekend. Morgan is in her 3rd week of daycare and seems to be adjusting well - probably better than I am. I find that when I come home I just want to relax with my husband and daughter, but there's so much to do. I have to clean the bottles for daycare the next morning, sometimes do laundry, return phone calls, etc - I'm having a hard time staying organized. And forget finding time to work out - I'm lucky if it happens during a nap on the days that I don't work. My husband is very helpful and I'm hoping we'll get in to a routing soon enough. I'm trying not to get discouraged - it's only been a few weeks.

I'd love to hear how everyone else is doing. I appreciate reading about how other babies are doing and I appreciate the support. Take care! - Carrie

Liann - I forgot to thank you for your advice about the pumping. I'm having a hard time keeping up my supply. I do drink the Mother's Milk tea and take Fenugreek. I hadn't heard of Blessed Thistle, but I'll look for it. I'm planning to keep trying with the pump and hope for the best.

Carrie

Carrie - Your schedule sounds a lot like mine. I work from home Monday and Friday, but go in to the office Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I don't get home until after 6 with baby on those days and by the time dinner is cooked, bottles are cleaned, etc..., it's time to crawl in bed. Doing all that while taking care of a baby who wants to be held is rough and DH is tired too from work and doesn't always want to help out. I've almost reached my breaking point a few times this week and finding time to work out - HA!

Forgot to answer your one question - We never swaddled Akadia. She HATES being restrained at all. I've always just used a blankie tucked in on both sides in her crib. She will eventually kick that off too. She's like her mommy, doesn't like being held down. ;)

Last edited:
Hi ladies,

So glad to hear everyone and their babies are doing well. Time is going by so fast.
Sam will be 13 weeks this sunday and she has changed so much since the last time I posted. She is smiling a lot more and cooing so loudly it's funny. Sydney is finally having fun with her. Samantha is pretty much sleeping through the night she sleeps til about 4 or 5 and goes to bed around 830 900pm. She really doesnt sleep much through out the day. Little cat naps here and there but thats it. Her last appt was oct 14 she weighed 14lbs and is 23 1/2.
I am still home but will be going back to work in about 3 1/2 weeks. I kinda want to go back to work but then I don't. Both my girls will have to go to day care because Sydney only has half day kindergarten. That I'm not looking forward to. When I go back to work I get up at 430 so I wonder how thats going to workout with sam. I guess in time it will all settle into a routine.
Being home is a very hard job. I give all the credit to the SAHM. I had no idea. Well I'm the type of person who gets overwhelmed quickly so it's been hard for me. I've gone to bed in tears and woken up in tears. I guess thats why I'm kind of looking forward to going back to work. (Please dont judge me)My husband works alot leaves in the morning doesnt come home til night. He doesnt have a regular 9-5 so it's usually just me and my 2 girls. My oldest daughter is in college she hepls me when she can. When my husband is home on the weekends he does help me though.
Alright enough of the pity party. LOL
Anyway have to get ready going down to the bronx today and sydney has to get ready for school. Thankgoodness sam is napping!
I also havent been working out on a regular basis either do it when I can. I attempted p90x last week but couldnt work into the schedule. Oh well!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.