Butts and Guts and lower back

Shaz

Cathlete
To those of you who have the Butts and Gutts workout, how do you find the floor work on your lower back? I find that the kneeling on all fours type butt exercises and too much kickbox-type kicking (eg in Power Half Hour) give me a sore lower back. I also experienced the same in a Legs Bums and Tums class at the gym. Would skipping these types of exericses leave me with enough to warrant buying this workout?

I do the floor work on my forearms, instead of staying up on my hands. It makes it easier for me to control my core and is more comfortable. You can also try setting up the High Step to support your upper body somewhat and reduce the stress on the lower back, or kneeling over a stability ball.

It's important to keep the core engaged during kicking movements like this.

My lower back also hurts during and after that segment. I skip it and add on the bonus standing work..I'm 5'9 maybe the height is an issue

I did the whole thing on Saturday and loved it! I didn't experience any lower back pain, but I can understand how you would. I agree with kathryn, that going down on the forearms helps control the core more. You should try to get used to doing some of these exercises as after awhile you will develop the control you need to do it harder and longer. Practice makes perfect!

Thanks for the replies. Still in two minds about buying Butts and Guts, but will give it some more thought. I've just bought and previewed Cardio Fusion (will try today), and its making me want to buy the rest of the series!

I agree that this workout is great even without the floorwork, which I don't always do if I don't have time. I think this workout is a must have.

Amy

I, personally, don't care for alot of floorwork anyway, so many times I skip some or even all of it (i do the same for GS Legs) & this is still a fantastic lower body/ab workout in under 1 hr. The exercises that I do on the floor, I modify when needed.

The bonus stability abs (love this!) & standing add ons make it especially versatile. IMO, you definitely will benefit from B&G even without floorwork. Get it!

rose2boys

Keep smiling & sweating!

I wanted to reply to the query about whether height has anything to do with a sore lower back. I'm 5'10 with long legs and can do ALL 95 billion (okay, okay, SLIGHT exaggeration, but...) of these with no pain in my lower back. Okay, I'm crying by the end and begging for mercy, but it's not due to lower back pain. As Kathryn said, you do really need to use your core muscles.

I love this workout, but I do the exercises on my elbows. I have always done those type of exercises on my elbows to protect my back. I had DOMS in my butt , though.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.