Brenda's posture on dvd's

Ooh, I need to try that foam roller tip! I've always had problems with my posture. My shoulders tend to round or slope forward and I try so hard to get them to open up more. Sounds like the foam roller would be a really great way to stretch them out.

I noticed Brenda's posture while doing XTrain, but I actually felt some solidarity with her. I know that I probably look like her while doing the exercises, but I'm still getting them done just like she is. Rock on, Brenda!

Although I am not bothered by Brenda's posture, I don't see anything wrong with your comment. My reply isn't in defense of Brenda or her posture, it's just additional information that may shed light on your observation. For the record, I think she's great and IMO an athlete's athlete.
I don't know how many of you were on this forum or a Cathlete back in 2007 so you may not know this. Brenda broke her “hip” during an Iron Man Competition in 2007 and had to have surgery.

Prior to that, I enjoyed watching her laugh at Cathe's comments; her great smile and the way she tackled the dancier moves in Cathe's step routines even though the fancy-foot-work didn't seem to be her thing. I enjoyed her but I had no idea that she was an accomplished athlete in her own right with a lot of "heart" as the boxers say. Brenda went up on my respect-o-meter into the red zone after her ordeal and comeback. Running on a fractured leg had to be painful even if she didn't know it was broken. Before I poorly paraphrase a story you can read for yourself...

Here is the link to story of her injury in her own words: http://www.coachtroy.com/public/239.cfm?sd=2

Here's the link to the thread in which Cathe comments about Brenda after the surgery: http://cathe.com/forum/threads/cathe-how-is-brenda-doing.178085/page-3

I know there are Cathletes on the forum (and in this thread) that have dealt with major injuries and illnesses and worked hard to get back into shape. It wasn't easy and maybe you still have physical challenges that you make adjustments for in order to do Cathe and other advanced workouts. Maybe you're stiff at times and heck, maybe sometimes your posture is a little "hunchy" or slouchy for one reason or another…maybe Brenda’s was. It doesn't matter to me. I think you are all awesome!:cool:

-Teals

PS: Last thing about Brenda, dancy step moves may not be her forte but watch her in her element in Cathe's spin workouts!

Last edited:
After starting this thread, I've been having second thoughts about what I said. You know how we all "crabby days?" Well, I was having one. I usually adhere to the tenet that if I don't have something kind to say, don't say it! I feel rather bad about pointing out Brenda's posture.....geesh, we are certainly all doing the best we can!!!!!:oops:

I learn some of my best life's lessons by saying or doing things I later regretted. I am in no way judging your original post, but acknowledging what you said here- that we are all doing the best we can. And ITA!!

"I swear it took everything in me not to go out to my car and get my 38 special (I have a hour communte home leaving a inner city hospital I keep it for my safety) and blow the scums head off (not very therapeutic nurse LOL"

I do not find this statement to be a mere vent. It's aggressive for me. Too aggressive for here - at least that's my opinon. I am a social worker and I also work with very vulnerable individuals who get verbally aggressive with me. That said, I would never say or write something like this - even as a joke. I had to respond because the statement really upset me.

Delete this post and the topic is lost in cyberland.

I do not find this statement to be a mere vent. It's aggressive for me. Too aggressive for here - at least that's my opinon. I am a social worker and I also work with very vulnerable individuals who get verbally aggressive with me. That said, I would never say or write something like this - even as a joke. I had to respond because the statement really upset me.

delete your post with the quote and it will be lost in cyberland but its more of a cultural reference that many of the people I work with say similar stuff and obviously your culture or background takes the words more literal. The ER get more that verbally aggressive people. We get bodyily fluid thrown on us, threatened with guns (and 2 staff member was shot), I've been punched, had knives, scissor thrown at me anyway I could keep going. The environment is volatile at time and being politically correct doesn't' help you blow off steam. I could say more but I'll let it rest.

So just delete and let the subject fall

I love Brenda as we all do! Her posture is definitely kyphotic ...many of us have that issue...she's a good example though of how supreme fitness will keep her from developing the 'hump' that so many senior (usually women) develop...I have to fight that slouching too, and want to reach through the video and pull her shoulders up and back!

Too the original poster, please do not delete your post. I have learned a lot from this post.
I have always been very impressed with the fact that Brenda is an Iron Man athlete even though she doesn't seem to be a big jumper or dancy mover. Makes me feel like I can still achieve my goals even though I can't jump for beans.
I loved reading about her hip and was truly inspired by it!

I was watching Brenda doing mountain climbers earlier, and her back was rounding quite a bit. But if she isn't in pain, if she's fit, if she feels great, what does it matter? Marianne Kane and Bret Contreras give constant reminders that there is NOT a perfect physiology, gait, way to perform exercises...that's a myth. People can have what we might consider atrocious form, yet they complete a workout feeling great, without any issues. (For those who are old enough to recall doing this, we all survived those 80's aerobics classes with the form that now makes us gasp in horror, right?) ;)

I have what many consider flawless posture. I'm incapable of slouching. I have a very flexible lower back naturally, am double-jointed, did a lot of dancing as a young girl, a small waist as compared with my hips, broad shoulders, a small rib cage, and long arms. So I can look great doing ab work, planks, leg lifts, etc. My long limbs make upper body work look easy to others. But if you saw me lunge, you'd cringe. My legs and feet and hips just don't want to work together for that! It took me eight months of exercising just to do a partial split squat with some measure of good form, that's how bad I was. My tall-box step-ups are no better. I fought like a tiger just to be able to step up onto an 8-inch step, I have such inflexible knees and weak quads naturally. I'm a big girl, so lower body work is already harder. I fell on my right knee six years ago directly on concrete, and so I can't sit back in Hero's pose to save my soul. Pain in that joint is a way of life, and I have to watch out for meniscus tears like a hawk. Doesn't matter how much I train or stretch, I cannot sit back on my feet, and likely never will. I have the cardio endurance to do jumping jacks and squat jumps until the cows come home, but my knees and ankles don't always comply. I have horrid ankle dorsiflexion and semi-flat feet from wearing shoes too often, too early in life, as I had to be at daycare every day from the time I was born. I also was born with my second and third toes webbed halfway up, which sounds meaningless until one realizes that it causes nerve damage in those toes for some people! Nerve damage sucks when it means you can't feel the step platform underneath you, or need to grip the ground well with my toes to land safely from a jump. Sometimes people attribute my lack of step or plyo prowess to my size, but it's actually a different physiology at work. It is frustrating and painful, but I am so grateful to have a body that allows me to do what I CAN do, which is a whole heck of a lot! My legs may be ugly, but at least I have legs, and so I've made a choice to be happy with them. My flaws are also good for me, because they keep my ego in check! :D

I completely get what people on both sides of the equation say here about Brenda. I don't think anyone meant to attack. I think we all have a genuine concern that people could harm themselves from using bad form, and we expect people in a workout video to set an example...however unrealistic that ideal might be, it's what we expect. I'm a stickler for good form, too. But there are limits to what one can do with their body. We have such a cultural belief in being able to overcome anything and everything, but that's not realistic. The older we get, the greater the limits we must acknowledge too, at least if we want to avoid overtraining and injuries. Even the finest gymnasts, figure skaters, etc., in the land have innate weaknesses that no amount of training overcomes. And everyone ages. However, they each also have enormous gifts that can't quite be duplicated in any other person. We're all unique for a reason, I believe. I can train until the cows come how, but I have ugly thighs, a crappy knee, aggravating ankles, and odd feet. Oh, well. I look up to Brenda because she does what we're all here trying to do- get up, tie up those shoelaces, and work hard and to the best of our ability. I believe Brenda reaches her personal best with every single workout, and for that she should be considered an inspiring and dedicated lady. She also seems very humble, radiates a beautiful persona onscreen, and is pretty darn strong! :D She's stuck with working out over a lifetime, which in and of itself is an accomplishment few human beings ever get to brag about. If I could do HALF of what she could do, I'd be thrilled! I will never be ANYONE'S version of what an ideal fitness model would be, especially my own ideal. But if I ever achieve what Brenda has and stick with workouts like she does over the long haul, then I will be more proud of myself than I'd ever be over having the "perfect" body type, or possessing "flawless" form on every exercise. We can either choose to believe we ourselves are beautiful, and so is everyone else, or we can choose to believe we and others aren't beautiful. I choose to believe we're all beautiful, as that's a much nicer way to live. :)

Sherry,

I never noticed Brenda's posture at all. In fact, Brenda has always been my favourite. She seems so sweet and unassuming. I noticed how strong her body looked in the Xtrain series (I think it was this series). I learned she was doing an ironman competition around that time (or was preparing). I find her cute. Sometimes i find that her moves aren't as crisp as say - Cedie. Cedie seems to me like she was a dancer or something 'cos her moves are so focused and tight. Sometimes Brenda just seems like her rhythm is off a bit but I think that's why I like her. She is so natural, athletic and seemingly humble to me and.... isn't she the longest standing cathlete? been around even longer than cedie? i might be wrong on that. i think she is great!

Cedie is crazy strong! I watched some older Cathe videos the other night On Demand, and was green with envy. She was flying over an 8-inch step doing moves I would have tripped over a 4-inch step trying out. I thought Cedie was mind-blowing in her step prowess- the way she can so easily and naturally feel the step underneath her without looking at it, and how she can lunge back deeply and effortlessly turned me a particular shade of emerald darn quick! :) She works very hard to look and move like she does, I know, but some of her success comes from having a perfect figure for weight-training and step. My cousin is built just like her: muscular legs to begin with, and puts on even more muscle lightning-fast. (The abdominal region is where my cousin puts on and holds fat, whereas I'm just the opposite.) I notice Cedie's knees and ankles seem to be set just right genetically for ease in those movements requiring a lot of power and strength WITHOUT getting injured by it. People with longer limbs can be at a disadvantage with lunges, squats, and push-ups. But longer limbs give an advantage (typically) with lever moves- deadlifts, lat rows, Supermans, etc. Longer limbs often equal greater flexibility and reaching abilities. Each body type has different strengths.

I think Cathe is very similar to Cedie, in terms of being built extremely well for what she does. Not everyone could do the intense workouts for the length of time she has with so few injuries in her history, and also look SO incredible throughout it all. Cathe just blows me away, in that her form is precise during EVERY exercise and routine. She surpasses any other instructor I've ever seen (full-time ones or not), because she's so good at EVERYTHING, making it look so smooth and natural. She reminds me of those great gymnasts that make everything like do look as natural as breathing. The muscle control she has is off-the-charts, and I have to think some of that must be due just a bit to genetics. We can all try, but there's no other Cathe! :D She looks like she puts on muscle fairly easily, has legs that are ideal in bone structure for handling power and strength moves, and her slim hips/broader back give her a real advantage with planks and other balance-based moves. The way the knees are set and one's overall frame are extremely important when trying to reach the more advanced version of step aerobics and lower body strength-training without experiencing repeat injuries. People with less height/shorter legs are at an advantage. It takes less energy to move shorter limbs, and the center of gravity is lower and feels a bit different to them. They tend to master push-ups faster, for example.

This is vital to keep in mind when I get aggravated with myself over not achieving "perfect" form, or being able to progress as quickly as I want without an injury. I have ugly lunges, but beautiful stiff-legged deadlifts. ;)

I love Brenda as we all do! Her posture is definitely kyphotic ...many of us have that issue...she's a good example though of how supreme fitness will keep her from developing the 'hump' that so many senior (usually women) develop...I have to fight that slouching too, and want to reach through the video and pull her shoulders up and back!

Well I have to thank you very much...because of this thread I know that I would be a candidate for the hump and do I EVER want to prevent it. (I have that same posture that Brenda has).

Hi Everyone,

I am just retrieving this thread with constructive intention.

I would like to share an informative article IMO.
Hope you find it helpful.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/pos...y-alignment.html?mcid=SM_facetraining03050815

Kind Regards,

Thank you for posting this article. :)

My problem is not something I often see addressed- I guess I'd classify it as excessive rigidity. My innate perfectionism extends even into my exercising. :) I get obsessive about perfect form & performing a movement beautifully, from a visual point of view. I think that is leading to some pain and fatigue at times. I am SO focused on flawless form, I believe I'm taking some natural "flow" from my body. My shoulders, pelvis, hips and stuff all "look right", but wow...does that take a lot out of a person! Does anyone else share this problem? For me it seems to come from my more formal dance training mindset...Maybe I just need to gain more strength and endurance so that beautiful form is easier, not a feeling akin to boot camp?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.