Brenda's posture on dvd's

cher54

Cathlete
I hate to post a negative thread but I have been observing Brenda and her poor posture for many years on all of Cathe's workout dvd's. I LOVE Cathe and her crew but I feel as though the models should be an example for us all and Brenda's posture is certainly nothing for us to model. My late husband had an amazing physique, but his poor posture detracted greatly from his otherwise good looks. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if it is troublesome to you. Again, not meaning to start anything, I have just thought about posting about this for a while and decided it might be worth mentioning. Sorry if I have offended anyone.

Sherry,

I never noticed Brenda's posture at all. In fact, Brenda has always been my favourite. She seems so sweet and unassuming. I noticed how strong her body looked in the Xtrain series (I think it was this series). I learned she was doing an ironman competition around that time (or was preparing). I find her cute. Sometimes i find that her moves aren't as crisp as say - Cedie. Cedie seems to me like she was a dancer or something 'cos her moves are so focused and tight. Sometimes Brenda just seems like her rhythm is off a bit but I think that's why I like her. She is so natural, athletic and seemingly humble to me and.... isn't she the longest standing cathlete? been around even longer than cedie? i might be wrong on that. i think she is great!

I think her posture looks off because she is much more developed in the upper shoulders/neck area (not sure what it's called). It makes her neck look a little shorter. But she does seem to round her shoulders some while standing, unless that's just her natural posture. I also love Brenda because she never jumps as high as Cathe and others, but she gives it her all, so I never feel bad when I cannot jump as high either.

I love Brenda too :) So happy she's in so many of Cathe's workouts!! I have noticed she keeps her shoulders forward, so it doesn't 'appear' as if she has the best posture. Isn't Brenda a cyclist? I'm not a cyclist so I may be way off base, but don't they have a tendency for hunched over shoulders? So sorry if this is offensive!! I'm just curious if that could be the reason....

I'm sure I'll regret chiming in, but this post bothers me. It's a bone structure issue, not poor posture. Susan Chung has this bone structure too. I as well have it, so I feel like I can stick up for this type of body style. This is like pointing out someone's large or small chest, something you're born with. A test to see if you have this body structure is to stand against a wall, heels, shoulders and head touching. If you have difficulty resting the back of your head comfortably against the wall, you have this shoulder/neck structure. I've had this since I was little, so it's not from hours on the bike or slumping.

I love watching Brenda out pedal other pros in the Spinerval's workouts. She can whoop some butt! Love you Brenda! :)

That is the beauty of being human, we all have free will and the right to express our opinions! Fembot, I take NO offense to your post. In fact, thank you the enlightenment on this topic. I love all of Cathe's crew just like everyone else. I have been working out with Cathe since the late 90's. Observing Brenda's posture was something that had been a little bothersome and I felt that I could express that here openly. Thank you all for your comments.:)

I love Brenda. She is strong and fit and always inspires me. She's always smiling, looks great, and from what I can tell, keeps the whole crew laughing and smiling (it often looks to me like she is making wisecracks during the workout). I've often thought she would be a blast to work out with in person--so I am glad I have the next best thing!

I notice Brenda doesn't have the same spinal alignment as the other women. I've been in health care for 23 years and have seen her skeletal shape on many. Its not that she has bad posture its that the posture God gave her. I'm a Christian so for those of you that believe in evolution go with that she has a more primate skeletal system less evolved There is also some skeletal changes that can happen do to lifestyle. The bicyclist or spinner can actually shorten their pec muscle and give the appearance such as Brenda's but since she also weight lifts and builds her upper back it is not likely this is what is contributing to her slopped forward shoulders.

I don't' have slop shoulders but I do have mild scoliosis curves in my back. My shoulders use to roll forward but I did lots of yoga and all over back lifting and haven't' had the painful back pain of my youth in 20 years.

I don't know Brenda's back health issues but considering Cathe has a exercise physiology degree and they have been working together for years. I'm betting its not something that Brenda can change.

Oh and I hope this doesn't sound like I'm saying primal as a insult just talking about scientific skeletal development I came back to read it and thought I may of not express myself properly

Brenda looks so happy and humble. I really like her presence and attitude on the videos.

Last edited:
After starting this thread, I've been having second thoughts about what I said. You know how we all "crabby days?" Well, I was having one. I usually adhere to the tenet that if I don't have something kind to say, don't say it! I feel rather bad about pointing out Brenda's posture.....geesh, we are certainly all doing the best we can!!!!!:oops:

After starting this thread, I've been having second thoughts about what I said. You know how we all "crabby days?" Well, I was having one. I usually adhere to the tenet that if I don't have something kind to say, don't say it! I feel rather bad about pointing out Brenda's posture.....geesh, we are certainly all doing the best we can!!!!!:oops:

deleted because some people found offensive and don't have the southern cultural referral to take it as mouthing off, letting off steam etc. Yet the same phrase or a some type is used at work in the break room all the time that's why people get upset with online stuff.

Last edited:
I'm sure I'll regret chiming in, but this post bothers me. It's a bone structure issue, not poor posture. Susan Chung has this bone structure too. I as well have it, so I feel like I can stick up for this type of body style. This is like pointing out someone's large or small chest, something you're born with. A test to see if you have this body structure is to stand against a wall, heels, shoulders and head touching. If you have difficulty resting the back of your head comfortably against the wall, you have this shoulder/neck structure. I've had this since I was little, so it's not from hours on the bike or slumping.

I love watching Brenda out pedal other pros in the Spinerval's workouts. She can whoop some butt! Love you Brenda! :)

Fembot....I tried your test, and I can not rest my head comfortably back against the wall. And one common feedback I have gotten...horseback riding, cycling outside, spinning class, and skiing all...is that I don't 'open my shoulders'. I just can't seem to do it. I wonder if this is related, if this is the reason for it? I always thought it was my very heavy chest, but maybe this is it? In which case this thread has taught me something. :)

But I will say I always enjoy watching Brenda. She is motivating, and just seems soooo nice and relaxed!

Cafelatee......I totally get your frustrations with the human race!!! I work as a nurse too. I worked trauma/ER and was disgusted with the horrors people do to themselves and each other. Made me appreciate my life and simple pleasures I've been blessed to have and experience. Vent away! We're here for you .

As for Brenda....I get a kick out of her. She's been with Cathe since the beginning and she makes me smile when she misteps or something then giggles a bit. We're all human .....not perfect! Love it!!!

I love Brenda, too - but I agree that she looks a little stooped sometimes. I always think of her as a sort of modifier! As I'm struggling with the last scissor-scissor-tuck, it's nice to see that her legs are stiff too!
It's one of the reasons I like cathe live so much - all types of bodies, abilities and styles. And all of them are amazing!

I usually adhere to the tenet that if I don't have something kind to say, don't say it! I feel rather bad about pointing out Brenda's posture.....geesh, we are certainly all doing the best we can!!!!!:oops:

OMG...where do I start....I would like to point out that we are all entitled to express concerns without
being attacked.

That being said I agree with sentence highlighted above.
I hope that naysayer, serial negative commentator take this little sentence above on board!
Cher54, I am not, at all, implying you are;-)

I have enjoyed the anatomical side of this thread.

Peace everyone ;-)

Oh and I hope this doesn't sound like I'm saying primal as a insult just talking about scientific skeletal development I came back to read it and thought I may of not express myself properly

Brenda looks so happy and humble. I really like her presence and attitude on the videos.

Amen!

I wish we can all use relevant scientific terms without being attacked due to interpretation.

I don't think it is an insult. It is a relevant term to the topic .:)

I have the same posture challenges as Brenda. I do have scoliosis and I think that contributes, along with exaggerated lumbar lordosis. One thing that my PT taught me has really helped: lie on a foam roller with it on your spine. Put your arms in a "goal post" position and lie there, letting the pecs slowly stretch out until the back of your arms reach the floor. It may take 5 minutes to get there. It has really helped my posture. But I'll never be able to get my head all the way back-my neck just wasn't made that way.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.