Bread Machine & Whole Wheat HELP!!!

dogs2birds

Cathlete
Sorry to bring this back to life, but...the one loaf that I always want to make in my bread machines is 100% whole wheat. The one loaf that I can't ever get to turn out - 100% whole wheat. It never rises quite right and it's all lumpy, bumpy and lopsided. It's not edible, trust me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I live at high altitude so maybe I need to adjust for that? Oh so frustrating. Anyone know of any good websites/bread machine forums or have any tips?

Thanks!

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Suz,

This is my own original bread recipe and it works every time.

WHOLE WHEAT DARK SWEET BREAD (reminds me of Franz bread)

Dry Ing. Mix together in a med. Size bowl:

1 c. unbleached whole wheat flour (save for kneading)
3 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. diastatic (This is sprouted wheat berries, then dehydrated)
3 T. gluten
¼ c. wheat germ
2 t. rye flour
1/8 c. soyflour
1/8 c. cornmeal
1/8 c. ground flaxseed
1/8 c. barley flour
1/8 c. ground quick oat flakes
1 ½ t. salt
¼ t. ginger
1 T. sunflower seeds

Next 2 Ing. carefully, barely grind very coarse, and mix together with dry Ing.

1/8 c. wheat berries
1 T. pumpkin seeds

Liguid Ing. Mix together in a large bowl:

2 ¾ t. yeast or 1 large packet of yeast
2 c. luke warm water

Mix this together to soften yeast

Add:

5 T. malt syrup or ¼ c. brown sugar, or 1/8 c. each, (but malt syrup will give more flavor)
1 T. canola oil (optional)
1 T. cider vinegar

Mix the dry in with the liquid

Knead and use the unbleached whole wheat flour to knead in more flour if needed. Pour in oiled medium bowl, Spray top of dough with oil and cover with plastic wrap tightly. Rise until double in size. Put in bread pan, cover with floured linen and rise again.

Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.

I haven't tested it in a bread machine, so I don't know if it will work in it or not. I do this by hand.

Enjoy, if there are any questions, just ask. You can look on the internet to make your own diastatic and. It's really easy. It helps make your loaves rise better. So does the gluten, and the ginger gives it a boost, a quick start.

With the following info you might be able to create 100% Whole Wheat, but I like other things as well in mine. It's just plain healthier.

RATIO PRIMER: You can make a basic bread by using 3 parts of flour to one part of liquid....BY VOLUME, not weight. So, if you use two cups of water...you'll need 6 cups of flour...or, 2 cups of water + 3 times that of flour = 6 cups.

Just keep experimenting with it, you'll get it.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

http://www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

Janie - Oh my goodness! THAT looks like a lot of work! Oy (ya like how I threw that in?). I'm not sure I want it that bad, hence the bread machine. I've made so many other kinds of loaves in bread machines that turn out great. I just don't get it with whole wheat. All of the other yummy ones will make me FAT b/c they're sooooo yummy!

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

OMG, Suz, that is quite a loaf of bread. I don't have any helpful hints, but I was really LOL at your bread :D . I hope you find something that works.

Karin

I have made loaves that look like that, too:) Is that the recipe that came with your breadmaker? If not, I would start with that, b/c usually those recipes have been tested with that particular machine. The only other suggestion is to be sure that you set the machine for whole wheat.

Suz, OH MY!

Is that seitan? Poor thing. OY!:eek: is right.

Listen, do the ratio thing I mentioned and add the same amounts I used from my recipe of gluten, ginger, and diastatic, this allows you to make a bread out of only 100% whole wheat flour, no white flour at all. Better yet, Let me make up a recipe for you. How's that? It should work in the bread machine. Let me know and I'll get right on it.

I'll e-mail you when I get it down on paper.

You are so funny!:7 I'm still ROTFLOL :7

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

http://www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

Hey Suz....you will most likely have to use some white flour in order for this bread to turn out as 100% wheat won't rise well at all. I use in my Multi Grain 2 cups unbleached white flour, 1 and 1/4 cup wheat flour and 3/4 cup 10 grain cereal. It does not rise as well as any white based bread but I get a very good loaf. Hope you find something that works...:)

>Sorry to bring this back to life, but...the one loaf that I
>always want to make in my bread machines is 100% whole wheat.
>The one loaf that I can't ever get to turn out - 100% whole
>wheat. It never rises quite right and it's all lumpy, bumpy
>and lopsided. It's not edible, trust me. I don't know what I'm
>doing wrong. I live at high altitude so maybe I need to adjust
>for that? Oh so frustrating. Anyone know of any good
>websites/bread machine forums or have any tips?
>

What is the recipe you used? Did it come with your bread machine? What kind of bread machine do you have?

I have a Black and Decker and this recipe came with my machine:

Measure Ingredients in the order listed into your baking pan.
Press "Grain" for settings. (approx. 4 hours and 10 minutes)
Push start.

1 1/2 Cups of Lukewarm Water
2 Tablespoons of Powdered Milk
1 1/2 Teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons of Honey - (I used 3 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar)
2 Tablespoons Molasses - (I used it once and omitted it once)
2 Tablespoons of Butter/Margaine
3 3/4 Cups of Whole Wheat Flour
1 3/4 Teaspoons of Yeast

Some Tips in the Book:
-Make sure your yeast is good.
-Don't allow the salt and yeast to touch..
-In high altitude areas, additional salt may be needed to improve bread results, however, too much salt may prevent bread from rising.
-Sugars help the yeast in a recipe to grow.

Hope this helps.. I would like to see a picture of your bread once you perfect it.

Debbie

Janie - You would do that for me? Oy! You are too sweet! Are we using oy enough??? :)

Lala1 - Yup, that's the recipe that came with the machine and I did set it on the wheat setting. I was going to try one from a recipe book I had but figured I'd start with this first. I used to have a Westbend machine and used another recipe from another book and my loaves looked pretty much like this one did. :) That's why I'm wondering if it has something to do with high altitude. I'm at 6,000 ft. They have these pictures and it says "If your loaf looks like this...this is the problem." None of them looked even close to mine. Maybe I'll send them a picture for their next owner's manual. :p

Carole - I'm wondering if the trade off of using white flour in my loaves is better than having the HFCS and the other crap in the 100% whole wheat you buy in the store? Probably, huh? Where do you get the 10 grain cereal? That sounds healthy and yummy. :9

Suz

I figure there isn't much bad with a bit of white flour. At least like you said not the preservatives in the bread you buy. You can get 10 grain cereal in any market. I have also used oatmeal instead of the 10 grain cereal. Maybe just try different ratios of white flour to wheat flour and see what ones work?...

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the recipe. Maybe I'll give that one a shot. I have a Zojirushi BBCC-X20. It makes other loaves perfectly and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. But whole wheat...well, you saw it. :)

Interesting about the salt and high altitude. I had heard about a tsp. less of yeast and a tsp. less of water but nothing about more salt. I just bought brand new jars of yeast, but I guess you never know how long it's been sitting on the grocery store shelves.

Hopefully I will have a lovely picture to post for you soon.

Suz

This is in the book too:

Test Whether your yeast is stale and inactive

Place 1/2cup of lukewarm water into a small cup or bowl
Stir 1 tsp. of sugar into the water then sprinkle 2 tsp. of yeast over the surface.
Place bowl or cup in a warm area and allow to sit for 10 minutes undisturbed.
The mixture should foam and produce a strong yeast aroma. If this does not occur, fresh yeast should be purchased.

I never did this test, so I don't know if it works but maybe it is worth a try. I am also not sure if the altitude would make a difference for this test.

Hope you find a recipe soon that will work for you!

Debbie

I really have nothing helpful but I just had to post that I got a good laugh out of your picture!!! :)

I don't use bread machines, I have to make gluten free for my son and I just use a kitchen aide mixer and the oven.

Good luck with your next attempt.

Jen

Suz--
--Another thought is adding a little extra water after the dough has mixed, and just started kneading in your machine. Take a look and see if it's coming together crumbly --if so, add some water, a Tablespoon at a time.

--Another things to try is doing the above, but set the machine to the dough cycle, and let it just mix & knead the dough once.

Then once the dough cycle is through, run it through a regular bake cycle. It gives the WW flour a little more time to do its thing.

--I agree about adding Gluten flour, that it's necessary for all WW recipes.

--I also agree with Carole, that lightening up the loaf with 1 C of another flour, King Arthur unbleached bread flour works well takes care of the problem.

--Also, if you have the time, you can run it through the dough cycle 2X and then just take the dough out of the machine, shape it into a round loaf and let it rise out of the machine or in a regular bread pan. (Defeats the time-saving concept of the bread machine, but...) Then you can bake it in a real oven: which can sometimes make a WW loaf or any loaf the room to get bigger.
Even shaping it into a simple round loaf on a cookie sheet or piece of parchment paper and let it rise for a good and long time, then bake it in the real oven can let you end up with a better looking loaf.

HTH,
Barb

:)

P1010021.jpg

I had to smile when I saw the WW bread! I just made some WW bread yesterday as well as buttermilk. WW bread won't rise as high as white and is much denser. I made this using my Breadman Pro which I love. Here's the recipe which doesn't call for gluten. It's so simple and the bread is wonderful.

2 lb. Loaf:
1 Egg white plus enough cutured buttermilk, 80 degrees F to equal 1 1/2 cups
1/4 cups oil
1/4 cups molasses
2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
4 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast

Select the Whole Wheat cycle on your machine. And place in pan in order.

It's very easy and so good.

In regards to high-altitude baking, over 3,000 feet, the manual says that dough tends to rise faster as there is less air pressure. Therefore, less yeast is necessary. And then give contact info on the Colorado Cooperative Extension Resource Center 877.692.9358.

HTH and good luck!
Terri

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.