Bp meds lowering max heart rate?

Shantabulous

Cathlete
Cathe-Around Christmas time I was put on bp meds (sickening I know since I'm only 37, workout hardcore and eat good--thanks mom). I know that a side effect of bp meds is lowering of the resting heart rate. Well today I decided to wear my heart rate monitor since I was doing Imax 3 and it's been awhile since I've done it and I wanted to see what my max heart rate and calorie burn were. As hard as I pushed (almost to the point of vomiting), I couldn't get my heart rate past 135. Usually with Imax 3 it's in the high 160's for my max. Do you think this is related to my bp meds? I also take low dose aspirin and 1400mg of fish oil. If indeed that's my max now, am I burning the same amount of calories? Previously, my calorie burn with Imax 3 is in the 400's. Today it was a dismal 242.

Thanks for your time.

Obviously, I am not Cathe, but YOU must be in great shape...but I am just commenting because I am wondering if maybe because of the seriousness of blood pressure issues...this might be a perfect question for your doctor who put you on the meds... since he is familiar with you and your unique circumstances.

I don't know, just a thought.

Best wishes!

I am also impressed by your heart rates! During Imax, Intensity, Hiit, etc., I am in the mid 180s the whole time...and I have been a runner since high school and a Cathlete since 2005! I guess we are all different, but I have never been able to reduce my high heart rate (I'm 35). I'm interested in what you find out about your heart and your calorie burn. That makes no sense at all!

Shantabulous, I just found an article from the Mayo Clinic with your exact question answered (I assume you're using beta blockers?):

Beta blockers: How do they affect exercise? - MayoClinic.com

Thank you so much for finding that link for me. It's like I was the person who asked the question, LOL. I wish he would have addressed calorie burn. I'm ok with having a lower max heart rate if the calorie burn is the same. I know my perceived exertion was at a 10 (I did almost throw up after all), so there was no lack in effort. I went to one website that calculated calorie burned based on weight and type of activity only. I know my heart rate monitor uses your heart rate to estimate number of calories burned. So the lower number makes sense. I just hope it doesn't actually affect it or else I will be going off of these.

That article was meant for you! Lol! About your calorie burn, I have been a runner since high school, and there is one thing about running that the experts all agree on: you burn about 100 calories per mile no matter what your speed. There have been numerous articles and studies published on this over the years. I'm thinking your calorie burn, regardless of your heart rate, must be about the same as it was before since the workload is the same. Maybe my reasoning is flawed, but hopefully not!

Shannon:

Beta blockers do lower your heart rate. I had this happen to me when I was advised to use them as a migraine preventative medicine. Eventually, I had to go off them because they made me feel dizzy and disorientated 100% of the time and did nothing to prevent the migraines for me.

However, if this medication works for you for the condition for which it was prescribed, then you should stay on it, no matter how many calories you burn or do not burn. Think long term health benefits, not short term calorie burn. Health comes waaaaaaaay before calories burned by any exercise program, always.

I think you will discover what the other poster and runner said. Your body will continue to make progress with your fitness plan. You should allow your body a month at least to acclimatize to a new medication. In the long run, you should feel better.

I am taking my hat off to you that you can get through Imax 3. If you can do this DVD and complete it and feel good at the end, energized and not destroyed, it doesn't matter what your heart rate is! This is proof that you have achieved superior fitness gains. Well above mine right now!

Remember: think long term health. You are in this for the long haul.

Clare

My DH takes BP meds, one is a beta blocker. He exercises when he gets up in the morning, then eats breakfast, takes his meds immediately after. He finds much less noticeable effect on heart rate. You don't skip anything, just exercise when the previous mornings meds have mostly worn off. If you exercise in the AM this might work for you too.

I think the calorie burn number is a calculated value based on heart rate and not represent the true number of calories burned so I wouldn't worry about it.

My DH takes BP meds, one is a beta blocker. He exercises when he gets up in the morning, then eats breakfast, takes his meds immediately after. He finds much less noticeable effect on heart rate. You don't skip anything, just exercise when the previous mornings meds have mostly worn off. If you exercise in the AM this might work for you too.

I think the calorie burn number is a calculated value based on heart rate and not represent the true number of calories burned so I wouldn't worry about it.

That is a very good idea! I always take my bp meds (the beta blocker propanolol) first thing when I get up, then workout about an hour later. I have an appointment with my doctor on Friday, so I'll see what she has to say. I'm not overweight by any means, but I'm wondering if dropping 10 lbs would help. I've read that even losing 5 lbs can lower your bp.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.