Boy, am I glad I don't live in Argentina!

LauraMax

Cathlete
Did you guys see this story in the news? They've banned clothing retailers from selling any women's sizes smaller than a 6. I'd have to gain 20-30 lbs to fit into a 6!

This is supposedly an effort to eradicate eating disorders. IMO it's Big Brother at its worst. Who's to say what weight/size a woman should be? I'm short & have a very small frame--a size 6 would be unflattering on me to say the least. It's utterly ridiculous!

my sister is naturally a size 0.she can eat and eat and eat doritos,creamy salad dressings,pasta etc. and still be a size zero. so thats not fair to ppl who are just genetics freaks(LOL its just something i call those naturally lean long bodies like my sister,not meant to offend).

and i agree it is big brother at its worst but then again different country different customs and goverment rulings.

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

Very weird. Trying to dictate what size a woman should be.

Laura - good grief - you must be tiny!!!! With all that muscle, I would never have guessed.

Michelle,

My thoughts exactly! We should have equal concern about the obesity problem! Maybe they don't have a problem in Argentina?

Although, I don't really want to see anymore heavy people wearing clothes that are too small for them! See enough of that as it is.

Tina

LOL you guys! I didn't even think of that........certainly obesity is associated with eating disorders as well...........

Shannon, I'm a size 2, but I don't consider myself tiny. Small maybe but I've seen tiny & it ain't me. :p I do, however, have a genetic disorder called "flat a$$ disease." I guess if I lived in Argentina I'd have basis for a lawsuit. :+

LOL, Laura! Wish I had that disease!!! I don't think anyone in the history of our family has been a size two.

Woah! That is crazy!!! Next are they going to start putting guards next to each restroom to make sure that women keep their food down, and then arrest them if they don't???

Missy

Do we know what sizing they use for clothing in Argentina? A size 6 for Argentina may equate to a size 0 here... Just curious.

Lorrayne

>Do we know what sizing they use for clothing in Argentina? A
>size 6 for Argentina may equate to a size 0 here... Just
>curious.
>
>Lorrayne

Good point, Lorrayne. I'll bet a size 6 over there is more like a size 10 here, though. They say clothing sizes here are marked smaller than they truly are in order to fool women into thinking that THEY are smaller than they really are.:eek:

Michele

I did a quick google to see what this was all about. Apparently, the stores currently offer clothing for thin people. Nothing is available in women's fashion for someone who has some curves. As a result, Argentina is ranked as the second country (Japan is first) for greatest percentage of women with anorexia so they can fit in the clothing. Their only other option is to buy men's clothing.

"Starting Dec.21, Buenos Aires province, which includes the capital's glitzy suburbs but not the fashion-forward city itself, will require shops catering to adolescent girls to stock clothing in a minimum range of sizes roughly equivalent to sizes 6 to 16 in the U.S."

I read this as that they don't only carry sizes from 6 on up; but they must at least carry these sizes.

Here are two articles of interest:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0224/p12s02-lihc.html http://www.marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2005/12/fashion_antipat.html

Wow, I am happy that you provided those links, thank you. I guess that teaches me to go back and look stuff up on our own rather than hop in and start tomatoe throwing. :)

I didn't realize that Argentina had such a big problem, and that companies were doing that. That is sad.

Missy

Having lived 7 years in Argentina, and considering it my second home country (my kids grew up there, my youngest is Argentine, etc), I have to add my 2c. One has to take into consideration what a size 6 is there (thanks for the info provided for in one of the replies) AND what life is like in BA. thinness is an obsession. I knew personally of one mother who had her 3rd grade girl on a diet and this girls wasn't even close to being overweight . There are a myriad of eating disorders and truly, for anyone who isn't a size 0 or 2 finding clothes can be a hardship. Having said that, being back here I find that all the clothes are too big here and it's hard to find clothes that fit right, and I am no size 0!! Just had to reply because one can't judge another culture simply by what is in the newspaper without background info.

Thanks for providing this information. It's really helpful and interesting how different clothing sizes can be (and cultures, too).

I was in Italy this past summer and was thrilled with their sizes. Everything fit because the clothing was made primarily for short people! Yes, the clothing sizes weren't close to American sizes in that they catered to the thin person.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.