BOSU - Love it or waste of money?

vikinyc

Cathlete
:) Do you love it or is it a waste of money? Studio size or at home size? I'm considering it; need some info.

Thanks,
Viki

I just bought one rather impulsively last night (it's Wendy's fault ;)), so I'll be curious to hear the responses.

I inflated it last night and tested it out - I can see how it'll be challenging, but I'm not sure how I will make it part of the routine exactly. I did see several tutorials on youtube.

ETA: I bought the standard size for $99.

[font face="heather" font color=black size=+2]~Cathy[/font]
[font face="comic sans ms"]When I look at the smiles on all the children's faces, I just know they're about to jab me with something. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/cartoon/homersimpson.gif

I just bought the sport edition (home size) from fw online since they were having a sale on them. I haven't really tried it yet but I have a dvd on it's way so once I get it and try it out, I'll let you know what I think!

In the meantime I'm sure others will be able to help you out!:)

ETA: Jeesh, I get blamed for enabling all of the time! It's not my fault Cathy! I just couldn't pass up a good deal!:p :7

I don't know. It's so hard to decide. I would like to have one but the only way I'll get one is if someone is gracious enough to give me one at x-mas or on my birthday. I won't buy one. It's more of a luxury piece of w/o equipment than a necessary piece, IMO.

Allison
1.gif

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

I got one recently and haven't used it a whole lot yet, but I want to use it more. I used it to do a high step workout in place of the high step and it was really fun that way. I've got a couple new workouts that use the Bosu and intend to order more, so I think it will eventually be worth it (but so far it's underused). I am doing physical therapy for a sprained ankle, and my PT said it would be good to try balancing on one foot on the Bosu to strengthen my ankle (and since that ankle's weak I do it standing near something I can grab if I get too wobbly).

I got mine for $99 at Target--full size.

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=purple]***Lainie***
My fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com/ http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif[/font]

I love it when I use it which isn't as often as I like but often enough to justify my purchase.
Angela:7

I used to take a BOSU class at my gym, and it was a killer class. I would walk out of there and my whole body would be trembling because I was using my muscles in a whole different way. It was a circuit workout - along the lines of Boot Camp.

I would buy a BOSU if someone would put out a video like that class. It's entirely doable and would offer a really unique market nitch. If anyone knows of one, please let me know, and I'll bite the bullet (and dodge DH's wrath!).

Mine LOOKS great in my work out room!!! ;-) Don't EVER use it but I'm one of those who needs a program to work out with and I didn't see the challenge in the body dome work out!

Waste of money. Mine sat around forever until I sold it. I had all the workouts for it, too. But it just felt unstable and an injury waiting to happen. I hope that whoever bought it is using it more than I did! I did like to do crunches with it, really worked the abs!

>ETA: Jeesh, I get blamed for enabling all of the time! It's
>not my fault Cathy! I just couldn't pass up a good deal!:p :7

Sorry, it wasn't your fault. Let me rephrase: you were my inspiration. :7

I have never understood this piece of equipment. Hurts my ankles and seems really dangerous. I got one from a conference and gave it away within a week.

KIM

>>ETA: Jeesh, I get blamed for enabling all of the time!
>It's
>>not my fault Cathy! I just couldn't pass up a good deal!:p
>:7
>
>Sorry, it wasn't your fault. Let me rephrase: you were my
>inspiration. :7
>

That's MUCH better!;)

Hi, I love mine. I did Step Blast on it the other day. It's great for ab work and I think it gives you a chance to work different muscles. It seems gentler on the joints also. I am glad I have mine.

I think it might be dangerous if people don't respect it. I just got one and I'm excited to try it. It will definitely point out if you're not balanced, which is the point. It's a balance trainer.

I plan to do very basic stuff on it and not treat it like a solid piece of equipment. I have the impression that controlled, purposeful movements are required to use it safely.

I plan to do Cathe's Basic Step workout as my first real workout on it. Something simple so I can concentrate on my form and my balance.

I also have a Bosu workout reserved at NetFlix so I can see what a "real" Bosu workout is supposed to be.

April

I have the studio model and like it a lot. My very cool DH bought me one last year on the day I had ACL surgery. My PT gave me lots of exercises to do one it. Basically, take any leg exercise you do on the ground and do it on the BOSU, with the ball side down...so you can clearly see the disclaimer "Do not use as a platform". :) They become a lot more challenging and work muscles you didn't know you had.

I also started doing standing on it while doing a lot of upper body work as well. P90X Shoulders and Arms lends itself nicely to this.

I'm going skiing this afternoon exactly one year post-op from my surgery, so we'll how effective it was. :)

JMHO- If all you ever use it for is squats it is well worth the money. It makes the weights seem much heavier than they are. Most people don't have squats racks, so by doing them on the BOSU you get the same effect, if not better, than going heavier than you can hoist over your head.

Never use it. I'd like to but I can't fit it into my schedule. I exercise approx. 10 hours a week right now w/cardio & lifting. I just can't seem to squeeze anything else into my routine.

Also I don't really know how to use it. I see trainers at my last gym making their clients do some really amazing stuff w/it & the clients are in fabulous shape. But my current gym is much less cutting edge, much more meat head, so there isn't anyone there who can give me a good home routine.

I like mine a lot and use it once a week. My DH bought me one too after my knee surgery. It helps a lot with PT and getting that stability back and trusting your leg again.

Anyway, I still do my PT balance stuff on it once a week. To me it is well worth the money and there are some DVDs that use it. I kind of prefer to just do my own thing.

Can these be used in place of a traditional step? I notice that some of you are doing this. I have considered this thinking that it might be kinder to my knees

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.