Bootleg DVD's on E-bay?

ejostling

Cathlete
Hi, I think there are some bootleg copy's of Power Hour, Timesaver, supersets, and Hardcore Extreme being listed on E-bay. The seller is "Cherrysukaia" and they are being listed as "used but in new condition" and the seller does not take PayPal. I suspect they are bootlegs because as soon as one sells, they list another "used but in new condition" copy right after. Heads up!

Sally

Another Ebay HEADS UP:

DH has had his expired American Express # snagged in EBAY for past two months... month 1: a 350 charge for some electronics gizmo that went to Atlanta (we're in Houston) Month 2: a 476 charge for misc items to Baltimore....
When he called ebay they took care of it BUT my outrage is:
1. It was a 2 year old EXPIRED AM EX
2. Supposedly the 3 digit code thats on back of card is required on all purchases
3. No questions about ship to states that differ than the expired card!
NO MORE EBAY FOR EITHER OF US! I dont believe they are secure or perhaps they have an internal thief... not going back there for sure!

I've noticed that there are two other sellers who have been selling multiple "used" copies of Supersets/PP and Timesaver. They also wait until an auction has ended and then immediately list another "used" copy of each. I can't imagine they're not illegal copies.

I came across something similar with Rhythmic Step Interval Max & MIC DVD, advertised by na4901s as used in good condition. I put a non-winning bid on it, and then received a second chance to buy offer. I contacted the seller, and told her I was interested, but was concerned it may be a copy. She never replied, so of course as much as I wanted it, I didn't buy it, since that pretty much tells me, it more than likely is a copy. The seller had 100% feedback, but I have since seen her advertise the same DVD again and again. As soon as one sells, she puts up another one. Does anyone here know anything about this seller? She also sells a lot of Beachbody workouts.

Iris

Just a note from an Ebay seller and buyer--
When buying DVDs and CDs and things that can easily be copied, just look at what the person's history is. Have they been on Ebay a while? Buying or selling or both? Look at the kinds of things they buy and sell. I usually feel most comfortable buying from someone like me--they buy and sell a variety of things. They usually sell the DVD's because they've just gotten bored with them. There are also sellers of Cathe workouts on Ebay that sell multiple copies of Cathe's DVD's that are ok. They buy direct from the Cathe site and resell--a couple names (or partial names) are Roleez and Imbargaincrazy. There are mostly reputable sellers, but you know what they say about a few rotten apples...
Basically, if a listing sets your con-artist radar off, it's best to steer clear!:D

I am a seller on eBay and sell Cathe DVDs. I purchased them in quantity, open each and every one and check for defect before listing them on eBay. I do list them as new but not sealed. As I said, I check each and every one for defect and state this in my auctions. If there is something wrong with them, I can get a replacement from Cathe.com. Also, by checking them before listing them, I can make sure buyers don't scam me by saying a DVD is defective (and they've gone ahead and copied them for themselves then return them). Please be careful - you really shouldn't state that an eBay seller is selling copies just because they sell multiple copies - this can easily be construed as libel and get you into a bit of hot water (many attorneys in my family as well as two judges).

This is what some of us do - buy in bulk at a volume discount and then resell them for profit. I also tell my buyers they can feel free to contact Cathe.com and ask Nancy about my purchases.

Diane

Just to clarify my previous post, I would never accuse someone of selling bootleg copies, but what I am saying is, it does come across as suspicious if you email the person with your concerns, and they don't reply. In that kind of instance, it would be best not to purchase from that person. I know there are people out there who buy Cathe dvd's in bulk, and are totally legit, but there are also a bunch of people out there who will do anything to make a buck, so we just need to be careful.

I definitely see your point. I actually have bought several DVDs from sellers like you, who buy new DVDs in bulk from Cathe.com, and I'm always comfortable with those purchases. But what about sellers who have many, many used copies of a particular DVD? Is there a place they can legitimately purchase many used copies of the same title DVD for resale? I'm comfortable with sellers like you who buy new in bulk, and sellers who seem to be just getting rid of their personal collection, but I always wonder why someone would have so many used copies of the same DVD for sale.

DOWN WITH EBAY!

I so hate Ebay! They permit slime to sell counterfeit everything from handbags to guitars to videos.

Ebay kicked me off because I had two accounts and someone created another account in my name -- I suspect my daughter did it years ago.

Anyway, despite repeated requests, they denied me, now they ignore me.

Ebay is uncontrolled and I live for the day a class action lawsuit from Louis Vuitton, Tiffany and Company, and others brings them to their knees.

Ebay is too vain -- hubris will be thier downfall in the end.

They act like a they do sellers FAVORS instead of realizing the Seller are who pay them. The seller is the core of Ebay's profit (although sometimes I suspect internal corruption).

I have had so many bad experiences as both a buyer and a seller --

I just hope if somebody is seling bootleg Cathe videos, they are brought down -- not just kicked off, but Ebay is sued for permitting such vile behavior.

I have reported seller after seller for this type of behavior and nothing is done.

But I am kicked off and I have no idea as to why! I had great feedback as a buyer and a seller.

It is one thing to buy something honestly and sell it later, but it is quite another to sell counterfeit videos. One time I saw counterfeit Nip/Tuck videos -- and despite numerous complaints, the seller got to remain a member.

I am FURIOUS that they kicked me off -- for no logical reason. Sometimes I think Ebay gets off on that kind of thing.

I have noticed Ebay will kick off US members a lot faster than they will members in Asia.

DOWN WITH EBAY!

And to anybody who bootlegs Cathe's videos, I hope they pay dearly! Cathe has worked too hard to become a fitness superstar to be subjected to this kind of theft.

Oh, I had my identify stolen twice due to Ebay and Paypal.

Ebay is definintely not a safe environment.

When they kicked me off, they said, "Thank you for helping make Ebay a safe place to trade!"

I usually do not curse, but I did use a few explicatives over that snide comment!

RE: DOWN WITH EBAY!

I don't know about Bargincrazy but I do know Roolez is a wonderful seller on eBay and so are a few others. And these women introduced me and enabled and broke me :D, purchasing workout dvds/vhs. I have to admit, I have been ripped off 3x on eBay, 2 Sting cds and a Ralph Lauren purse. I have also been burned by purchasing 2 Cathe dvds as well. One time I didn't even know it and until one of my YaYa's told me it was fake. By that time I couldn't contact the person who sold it on eBay.
The second time, I did contact the seller but he didn't respond. But I knew I was not going to sell it, it is one of my favs! Thanks Cathe for being on Fit Tv It was reasonable anyway so I kept it.

And they are some flakiness with paypal, etc. I don't even have paypal but I get those spam notices as well as other notices like I didn't pay. I ignore those.

I think there are some honest eBay sellers out there. Annette

But Diane, what about when the DVD has a "twitchy" picture and sub-par audio?

Susan L.G.

>But Diane, what about when the DVD has a "twitchy" picture
>and sub-par audio?
>
>Susan L.G.

I have no idea what you mean by a "twitchy" picture and sub-par audio. I haven't had that problem.

I have to agree - eBay is full of swindlers. My husband had quite a run in with one who was selling fake vacuum tubes (has to do with vintage hi-fi audio - hubby's hobby). However, there are quite a few honest sellers out there and my post was just to point out that not all of us sell bootlegs just because we may have multiples of one title.

Diane

imbargaincrazy and Roleez are both reputable sellers. I've dealt with both of them. There are a couple, who I won't name, that I'm sure sells bootlegs. I too have reported them over and over again without any luck.

All you have to know is - Cathe's (and all legimtate dvds) have a silver backing - not purple! Purple backing means dvd-r. Some fitness people have produced DVD-Rs (Tracie Long) but most do the professional production (silver backing).

Diane

Since you're selling authentic DVDs, the video looks very smooth - the real thing, and the audio is probably rich sounding.

But on my particular DVD, the video "jumps" rather than moves smoothly, like micro-seconds of footage are missing. There is also what's called "noise" around the people when they move - like really teeny pixilations that surround Cathe like a halo (yes, I know - :p...)as well as surrounding each of the individual exercisers.

The audio is very shrill, very heavy on the high, treble tones, without much bottom or bass sounds.

I think I was scammed, but I don't know for sure.

>Since you're selling authentic DVDs, the video looks very
>smooth - the real thing, and the audio is probably rich
>sounding.
>
>But on my particular DVD, the video "jumps" rather than moves
>smoothly, like micro-seconds of footage are missing. There is
>also what's called "noise" around the people when they move -
>like really teeny pixilations that surround Cathe like a halo
>(yes, I know - :p...)as well as surrounding each of the
>individual exercisers.
>
>The audio is very shrill, very heavy on the high, treble
>tones, without much bottom or bass sounds.
>
>I think I was scammed, but I don't know for sure.

Look at the back of the DVD - the color should be completely silver. If it's purple, it's a DVD-R/+R and most likely a bootleg.

Diane

What is your name on Ebay? I have been buying from Iambargaincrazy, she is wonderful. Her tapes are not bootlegged. If anyone is suspisicous, you can contact snm & they will check out the ebay seller. I contataced them once about a bootlegged tape I bought on ebay & they got rid of the seller, I also never got my money back from PayPay.

>What is your name on Ebay? I have been buying from
>Iambargaincrazy, she is wonderful. Her tapes are not
>bootlegged. If anyone is suspisicous, you can contact snm &
>they will check out the ebay seller. I contataced them once
>about a bootlegged tape I bought on ebay & they got rid of the
>seller, I also never got my money back from PayPay.

I sell under the same name I use everywhere - compatissant. Just an FYI - under the majority of circumstances, Paypal will not refund your monies unless the item is not delivered so it's not very buyer friendly. I always use my credit card with Paypal. I purchased a DVD from a seller and it was a bootleg. Paypal wouldn't refund my money but I disputed it with my credit card company and they backed me up. So, buyer beware when using Paypal!

Diane

>>What is your name on Ebay? I have been buying from
>>Iambargaincrazy, she is wonderful. Her tapes are not
>>bootlegged. If anyone is suspisicous, you can contact snm
>&
>>they will check out the ebay seller. I contataced them once
>>about a bootlegged tape I bought on ebay & they got rid of
>the
>>seller, I also never got my money back from PayPay.
>
>I sell under the same name I use everywhere - compatissant.
>Just an FYI - under the majority of circumstances, Paypal will
>not refund your monies unless the item is not delivered so
>it's not very buyer friendly. I always use my credit card
>with Paypal. I purchased a DVD from a seller and it was a
>bootleg. Paypal wouldn't refund my money but I disputed it
>with my credit card company and they backed me up. So, buyer
>beware when using Paypal!
>
>Diane
>
>
>
>Right, but in order to get my credit card involved, pay pal had to first refuse refunding my money. Now my credit card is getting the money back for me. The ebay seller even admitted via email to me that his dvd was a "copy not a counterfit" when I demanded my money back from him. He never did answer me when I asked him what the difference was.
>
>

Copy, counterfeit - it's all semantics. A copy is a copy is a copy, period - whichever way you word it, it is a bootleg.

Paypal did not refund my money because the seller had no money in their Paypal account. So, technically, I won my case against the seller but since they pulled all their money from their Paypal account, Paypal could not refund me. My credit card company did what Paypal didn't or couldn't do.

Diane

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.