Bodybuilding/Sculpting check-in;-)

I just finished catching up with all the posts! You guys are really doing great and you are my inspiration!!!

However, I've made the decision to take it easy for a while and not focus on workouts right now. First of all, my knees feel pretty much normal when I'm not pushing it, though I really do need to work on calf strength. And second (and biggest reason) is that we've been cleaning up our unfinished and neglected basement. This has been very time consuming! My kids have been pushing this idea and it's a very good one! I like to take advantage of this while my teenagers are still living here and able to help, haha. Get this -- they want a spacious workout area in the basement! I'm all for it, of course. So far, we've gotten rid of a bunch of stuff and washed and sorted a ton of musty fabric (this has not been good for my asthma prone daughter). Our current workout room is in our second floor spare bedroom which used to be used for sewing and crafts and computer stuff. So in-between all our part-time jobs we will clean and paint the unfinished basement ceiling, waterproof and paint the walls and floors, and hopefully continue with floor mats, lighting, large screen tv, diy dumbbell rack, etc for a nice larger workout space. Every few years we do have a sump pump malfunction and flooding, so it will not be anything plush. My 16 yr old son wants an inclined bench, heavier dumbbells, longer barbell (0ur vintage one is shorter than standard), pull-up bar, and a hanging heavy bag. Not saying he's getting all that, but he's motivated to help.

So, that's my focus this summer. Hopefully I'll do a workout or yoga/stretch here and there, and I'll most likely read up on this check-in. I definitely want to do STS in the fall!!! Keep up the good work, I'll be back...

Hi everyone!
I've been reading your check-in for quite some time. I read most of it since the beginning (2013) so I feel I know quite a bit about you all.
Today NckFitHeart kindly invited me to join here , yay :) I hope I'm not an intruder.
Here are some trivia about me: I don't diet and working out is not related to desire for weight loss for me;. I have never done a "workout rotation" and currently am not interested to try one, I love Jengolf's brilliant weblog ; I like to make up my own routines by mixing many DVD segments during the day ( I work from home so I'm lucky ); my favorite instructors except Cathe are Kelly Coffey Meyer, Chalene Johnson, Amy Bento, Jessica Smith, Paul Katami, Susan Chung, Kelsie Daniels from The Firm etc . I don't like instructors yelling at me (Jillian Michaels!) and don't use their DVDs even though they are effective and I did buy them.

My workout for today : Xtrain Burn Sets Chest & Back; Gym Style BSB - Shoulders, Gym Style CT - Triceps.
10 Minute Solution Blast Away Belly Fat - segment 5
Planned cardio for tonight: Hard Strikes (cardio only) + combos segment from Rockout Knockout
or
Cardio Leg Blast.

Did I say that I like doing doubles ?:)
Greetings to everyone!

Leg day...again!! Today I did 10 sets of barbell squats, pyramid style, Most sets with 8 reps, with 20 reps on the last..lighter set. Followed by a set of 20 sumo squats with a heavy dumbbell. Then 3 sets of static lunges with dumbbells, 3 sets of straight leg deadlifts,3 sets of barbell calf raises (2 feet) and 2 sets of single calf raises without weight. Hard to get back up the stairs!!! lol! Will try to do some planks or wheelies tonight....maybe???....probably NOT!! Always tomorrow?

Welcome Svetlana (love your name)!

Mary, the basement clean out sounds like a great plan. I would love to have a bigger, dedicated area for working out. Be sure to check in now and then just to say hello.

Today I did The Ballet Physique's Amped Up. Tough, tough workout! Since it's only about 45 minutes, I decide to try the last segment from Goegeous Core called Metabolism Bootcamp. It's billed as a 12 minute cardio workout to help burn the fat off your core. Really, it's a lot of leg and balance work and turned out to be a nice complement to Amped Up. My legs were fried at the end of it all!

I was going to post yesterday but there was a lot to read here! Busy day on the forum! I'm catching up this morning tho.

Yesterday I did Gym Style Legs + Total Body Stretch #3 and doubles was Les Mills Combat Power HIIT #1. This morning was Gym Style Back, Shoulders & Biceps and planned doubles is Les Mills Combat Shock Plyo HIIT #2. And btw--I am SORE. OMG. My chest and triceps are aching from Tuesday, my hamstrings and calves are burning from yesterday and my biceps are already feeling like I'll be suffering DOMS from this morning! Gym Style is AWESOME!

Nathalie--glad to hear you grip is getting better! Is it healing well?

SarBear--I love KCMs Lean Body Circuits. I look at it as a metabolic workout rather than a strength workout. But I always love the unique twists she puts on traditional strength training moves. Her Cardio Pump is pretty awesome. If you are really short on time, the 30 minute Pump workout will given you a pretty decent total body strength workout in only 30 minutes. I was impressed. Now it is no STS Total Body or Muscle Endurance--but like I said, if you only have 30 minutes it's pretty comprehensive.

Jodi--I do love Cathe's two yoga workouts, too. I really need to try to work in more yoga/flexibility. I know how important it is and I love doing it, but I have such a hard time fitting in all the other workouts I want to do.

Mary--glad to hear your knees are doing better! And cleaning/clearing out a room--especially something like a basement is a big job! But you will not regret it! We have an actual "home gym" and it is my favorite room in the house. I worked out in my living room for many years but when we bought this house the extra den/family room was the real pull for me. I finally had a room dedicated to working out and could really start accumulating equipment! And have lots of floor space!

Welcome Svetlana! And you and I have messaged via my blog! So glad you are joining us! Looks like we love a lot of the same trainers. Tho I do have to mention that Jillian Michaels doesn't yell at you. Maybe in her earlier workouts, but she never does that in her newer (within past 5 years or so--maybe even longer) workouts. She is very encouraging and motivating. You should try her newer stuff. She creates excellent metabolic workouts.

tslop49--sounds like a tough leg day!

Hi Girls!
Mary - larger workout area in the basement sounds great! I usually workout in the kitchen and need to shift the table in and out every meal time :)
Nathalie - the 4 DS Kickbox + Push Pull combo sounds great! I will have to find time to try this one soon :)
Tslop - everyone loves (needs) a great leg day, and often :) Way to go!
Jen - For the time being, I will abstain from spending my precious workout time with Jillian Michaels. I have hoarded a lot of Cathe DVDs and am adding others (Jari Love and Amy Dixon were not mentioned in my yesterday's post) . I have so many DVDs I love, so it's okay for me.
I like your newest posting about Cathe's Total Body Stretching a lot. The artciles for Michelle Dozois' new DVDs are very useful, and surely you saved me money with the review of the cardio DVD :)
Jodi: Thank you for the compliment on my name ! I used to live in Dubai for 9 years and people thought it's a man's name. "Svetlana" corresponds to "Britney" in English, IMO :) (my name's meaning has to do with light )

Yesterday I chose for double : Xtrain Cardio Leg Blast (it was my first time doing it and I loooooved it yay)
Today's workouts: Gym Style BSB - Biceps;
Ripped with Hiit - Core 2
Butts and Guts - the floor section
Now I'm going off to (try to) complete the Gym Style Legs - floor section

I may go for Hard Strikes or PRS 2 Premix 2 for cardio tonight.
Hugs to all!

Hello everyone and welcome Svetlana! Any friend of Nathalie's is a friend of ours! :)

Yesterday I did Body Beast Tempo Back and Bi's. It has been a LONG time since I've visited that workout and WOWSER was it a good one! I am definitely feeling it today! I may have to consider revisiting Body Beast when I return from vacation. I had good results from it last summer.

Today was cardio. I was running short on time so I did the cardio workout from KCM's Cardio Pump. This was my first time doing one of Kelly's boxing-style cardio workouts and I LOVED IT!!! I wore weighted gloves and not only did I get a decent cardio workout, but I thought the workout was a lot of fun too! :) You could tell that Kelly was really having a great timing recording the workout. Since I did Tempo yesterday and plan to do the other Tempo workout tomorrow I didn't try out the Pump weight workout portion of the DVD, however, I will definitely be giving that one a shot when I get back from vacation. So glad you like it, Jen! And I agree, Lean Body Circuits is definitely more metabolic. Kelly did a great job with both of these DVD's--so happy I added them to my collection. After today's workout, I may have to check out some more of Kelly's boxing and/or kickboxing style workouts.

Today was chest day for me, 10 sets of flat bench (pyramid),,again shorter on the way up and longer sets on the way down. 3 sets of incline and 2 sets of incline flys. When I'm done I always finish with a set of pushups to gage how hard I worked!!! If I'm able to do more than 10-15> I AIN'T Been working hard enough!!! Cranked out 12...and the last one was a struggle!!! It seems funny, but the old chest is fried and done!! I finished with 45 inclined sit ups, As I'm writing this I hear my sump pumps working in the basement....arm day may be WET,,,ugh,but I'll wear hip waders if needed! Happy iron tossing to all!!

This morning was Tabatacise premix 5 (all 5 tabatas + Core 1). I honestly thought I might have to change my workout this morning. My calf muscles are so incredibly sore that they feel bruised--as in when I touch them it is tender and hurts! They actually affected my doubles yesterday! That and my very sore biceps and triceps. I got through my doubles, but I have to say, I struggled much more than usual because I was so sore. Then this morning the calves didn't feel any better but I hoped the warm up would take care of them and it did for the most part. The workout did seem harder than usual but I got through it ok. I'm glad I decided to press forward! I never regret doing Tabatacise!

SarBear, if you like KCM's Lean Body Circuits you have got to try her Circuit Burn. Same concept but IMHO it is a better and more challenging workout. I love when she uses boxing intervals in her circuit workouts (Trim Down is another winner). Here is my review of it if you're interested: Circuit Burn. It's one of my favorite KCM workouts.

Svetlana--I certainly understand trying to get through the workouts you currently have! I need to stop buying them! I have actually stopped doing new ones for a while because I want to focus on my Cathe workouts and other workouts I own that I love. I only meant that if the only reason you are steering clear of Jillian is because you think she yells at you (or her crew) then don't let that be the thing that stops you anymore because she doesn't do that at all. But I can understand steering clear of her workouts for other reasons, too. I often have a hard time finding ways to fit her workouts into my rotations, even tho I love them. In August tho, before I start my STS rotation, I am going to try to bang out some of the programs I bought that have been just sitting on my shelf: RIPT90, Pretty Fierce WL & LO and Ultimatum.

Hello girls!
Last night I went for Xtrain Tabatacise #1 + KCM Step Boxing Workout #2

Jen, I'm immensely impressed that you completed the whole Tabatacise DVD! You are one very strong lady!

Today I received KCM's Muscle Endurance and did the Shoulders, Back & Chest premixes. Lovely workout, it is money well spent :)
For abs - KCM Kickboxing Core bonus
For legs - Xtrain Legs all floor exercises & High Step Training - Lower Body only premix

Planned cardio for tonight -X 10 1 segment + Amy Bento's Hi Lo Xtreme 2nd half . Or whatever I feel like I'll enjoy ;)

Girls I'm so wondering shall I preorder the ICE series DVDs. The price is really low for Cathe DVDs but I seem to be interested only in "Rock'm Sock'm Kickbox" and one of the Legs workouts.
I love Cathe's metabolic workouts but am afraid "Total Body Metabolic" will be too easy. If Flex Train is considered advanced, then TBM won't do much for me. (I love Flex Train, just not sure if I want to spend my workout time on metabolic workout easier than it).
The other DVDs, I think I'm not interested in. But again, I love everything Cathe. So it's a tough choice for me - just sharing :)

Have a nice weekend!

Today is my rest day, although I did 'cheat' a little bit. Physique 57 posted a link on FB for a quick workout you can do at your desk. Since no one but me was around today, I gave it a try. Nothing very difficult but it was nice to get the heart pumping.

Svetlana, I'm afraid I'm no help in your decision to purchase ICE or not. Cathe is a relatively new obsession for me so right now I just can't get enough of her stuff. I knew I was going to have to have it no matter what and just hope for the best out of it.

Today was arm day..3 sets of trisets: triceps pushdowns/barbell curls tricep extensions/hammer curls kickbacks/concentration curls finished with 1 long set 0f crossbody triceps extensions and 1 long set of bicep isos. I'm not bragging, but I'm not doing SQUAT this weekend!!!!! well maybe a few pushups and wheels!! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

About that last post of mine....I lied!! I woke up this morning and my floor CHALLENGED MY MANHOOD!!! What's a guy supposed to do? So I did a 100 rep challenge. 100 pushups 40x25x20x15 100 squats 50x30x20 100 single calf raises 50x30x20 100 donkey kicks 50x30x20 and 100 ab wheels 40x25x20x15 (damn near killed me Nathalie!!) S0 what I said about not doing squat, I was 100 times wrong!!! But tomorrow is going to bring "NUTTIN" except R&R, Have a great weekend everyone!!

Hi Everyone!
Yesterday I changed my mind (as usual) and for cardio did KCM's Plateau Buster - Cardio premix,
+ Tabatacise - Tabatas 2&3. I still haven't tried the whole Tabatacise workout, but I love what I've seen :) It's surely money well spent.
+ Total Body Stretching, workout #3

Today's workouts:
STS Ab Circuit - Yoga segment
The Firm Volume 1 - the floor leg segment (I've been obsessed with leg mat/ball/chair work lately ! :) )
Xtrain 100 Rep Challenges - Biceps & Triceps
For cardio - Amy Bento:
Kickbox Surge - 1st half + Hi Lo Xtreme 2nd half
Turbo Fire Stretch 10

Tslop49 - Enjoy your relaxation day tomorrow! I'm terrible in taking days off but do follow "intuitive training" and often choose lesser intensity , like today :) Are you a gentleman?
Jodi, I may have asked in the wrong website if I want to save my money ;) I already have almost all of Cathe's workouts (most download, less in DVD but use the DVDs more often). If my Cathe obsession continues until December / "fall", I will surely need the new additions ;) The double free shipping is something a European must not miss - I'm intending to get Great Glutes on Deal of the Day shipped to Bulgaria free. But then, lately I spent a lot of money on fitness DVDs.
What a dilemma!

Today's workout was JM's Yoga Meltdown. Another one that collects too much dust. I was able to hold the crow position for a few seconds at a time but the wheel is never going to happen. My shoulders just round forward too much for me to get in that position.

Svetlana, I feel your dilemma! I also have been spending a lot of money on DVDs lately, but I try to put a positive spin on it. I'm spending it on something good for me, and I don't spend a whole lot on other things like clothes or shoes. Not sure hubby would agree with that thinking, but it works for me!

Tom, love all your 100 rep challenges! Such a great idea!

Hi Everyone!
Yesterday I changed my mind (as usual) and for cardio did KCM's Plateau Buster - Cardio premix,
+ Tabatacise - Tabatas 2&3. I still haven't tried the whole Tabatacise workout, but I love what I've seen :) It's surely money well spent.

Today's workouts:
The Firm Volume 1 - the floor leg segment (I've been obsessed with leg mat/ball/chair work lately ! :) )
For cardio - Amy Bento:
Turbo Fire Stretch 10

Tslop49 - Enjoy your relaxation day tomorrow! I'm terrible in taking days off but do follow "intuitive training" and often choose lesser intensity , like today :) Are you a gentleman?
Jodi, I may have asked in the wrong website if I want to save my money ;) I already have almost all of Cathe's workouts (most download, less in DVD but use the DVDs more often). If my Cathe obsession continues until December / "fall", I will surely need the new additions ;) The double free shipping is something a European must not miss - I'm intending to get Great Glutes on Deal of the Day shipped to Bulgaria free. But then, lately I spent a lot of money on fitness DVDs.
What a dilemma!
Svetlana
Hi Everyone!

Today's workouts:
For cardio - Amy Bento:
Turbo Fire Stretch 10

What a dilemma!
Svetlana: I hope I am...opinions s may vary!!! lol..but yes, I'm a guy,and I guess, one of the few. Guys are missing g a great source of knowledge on these forums!!

Ok, so i said i was going to do a a hi rep rotation for a month, but I decided to do a rotation of Chalean Extreme. I've been feeling some discomfort in my body, so I don't want to overdo it and think this rotation is great if i don't want to hurt myself. So here are my workouts for the past week.

Day 1 Fat Burn Challenge Chalene Extreme
Day 2 Rest
Day 3 Burn Circuit 1 Chalene Extreme
Day 4 Rest
Day 5 Burn Circuit 2 Chalene Extreme
Day 6 Burn Intervals Chalene Extreme
Day 7 Burn Circuit 3 Chalene Extreme

I think Chalene Extreme is a great workout if I don't want to over do it. I remember the first time I did it 3-4 years ago I got great results. I enjoy Chalene's personality and the tips she gives through the workout. i also like the total body emphasis. Fat Burn Challenge was fun, didn't like Burn Intervals as much. I think next week I'll throw in some of Cathe's cardio.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.