Bodybuilding/Sculpting check-in;-)

Jen, I wish I felt like doing advanced workouts again. I felt so unmotivated this morning and have not been getting great sleep. I envy and praise all of you for doing some great workouts! I'm questioning my choice of rotation again. Maybe, though, because the workouts are new to me I need to stick with them for a while?

Anyway, I just finished Barre3 Standing Slim. It was much better than Burner, but still more of a (low?) intermediate level. And short, only 30 minutes. But I feel so much better after the workout. I could use some ICE right now. :D

Did any of you see the other Q&A session Cathe did on FB after the ICE announcement? She said that the Blizzard add ons would be for those intermediate exercisers who wanted to kick their workouts up a notch or a great add on for advanced exercisers who don't quite feel like going all out for that day's workout. I think I can work with that. I'm also just happy for all the new strength workouts. Can always use more of those!

I'm doing the weird walk at work today...my quads are hurtin'!! :eek:

Jen, I wish I felt like doing advanced workouts again. I felt so unmotivated this morning and have not been getting great sleep. I envy and praise all of you for doing some great workouts! I'm questioning my choice of rotation again. Maybe, though, because the workouts are new to me I need to stick with them for a while?

Anyway, I just finished Barre3 Standing Slim. It was much better than Burner, but still more of a (low?) intermediate level. And short, only 30 minutes. But I feel so much better after the workout. I could use some ICE right now. :D

Mary,
Stick to barre for a while giving it a reasonable time to know if it works for you or not.
As you are healing your knee, you need some ICE indeed:)

Did any of you see the other Q&A session Cathe did on FB after the ICE announcement? She said that the Blizzard add ons would be for those intermediate exercisers who wanted to kick their workouts up a notch or a great add on for advanced exercisers who don't quite feel like going all out for that day's workout. I think I can work with that. I'm also just happy for all the new strength workouts. Can always use more of those!

I'm doing the weird walk at work today...my quads are hurtin'!! :eek:

I am just hopping the 5 meltdown are going to be workout not add on

Today I did Gym Style Back, Shoulders & Biceps. Went up on some weights with this one, too.

Nathalie, I hope the same thing about the Meltdowns. I hope they're not quickies like 15 minutes. Something about 30-40 minutes would be nice.

Mary,
Stick to barre for a while giving it a reasonable time to know if it works for you or not.
As you are healing your knee, you need some ICE indeed:)

LOL, yeah you're right about barre and ICE. :D I'm not sure about continuing with Dasha's KBKB Body series though, there are some moves that I like to test out but they make my knee a little sore (and I'm not so impressed with it, as Jen wasn't either, and so should probably wait with the Scorcher set too, because I like to push it) so maybe I'll try AOS for a while? You know what though, I'm really missing the heavy UB weights!! I thought it would be good to take a break from them and do shorter workouts too. The past month with the end of the home school year has brought many projects and tasks to be done and so I'm feeling quite busy. In addition, my 3rd child has just graduated high school (only 2 more left! :eek:). We had a very nice ceremony so much more personalized than public school, with more home schooled graduates than ever! Anyway, I wanted to try out something different for workouts, but I may just end up putting UB traditional weights back in my rotation and use kettlebells for an AWT workout once a week or so. It's kind of hard to figure out what to do. I miss my Cathe rotations. And I'm feeling like a slacker, lol.

I am hoping the Muscle Meltdowns are in a section all by themselves like 4DS AND also incorporated as intervals in the premixes. Am I hoping for too much? :p I am predicting, and I may be way off, that instead of making easier/shorter premixes, Cathe will make the intermediate workout the main one and have a some premixes that are closer to advanced level and longer in time. For the "E" for Extreme in ICE! I have high hopes. :p

Jodi, I may be going through Barre3 quite quickly and moving on! I will get through them all and then decide how to use them. I get the feeling they may be great for recovery days... I don't think I'll be getting any DOMS from these. :(

This morning was Hardstrikes premix 12 (adds heavy bag tabatas).

Mary--I really liked Scorcher a lot, but The Body Series did not impress me. And I do know what you mean. Sometimes I get these ideas of types of workouts I want to do for a period of time then I do them and all I can think of are the workouts I am not doing. If I am not lifting heavy that is all I want. If I am doing splits I want total body and metabolic/circuit workouts. If I am HIITing it I want more kickboxing. The only way I seem to be able to make myself happy is too keep giving myself lots of variety! Latetly I have been feeling like I really need to be doing more Peak 10 and Ilaria workouts.

My brother and sister-in-law home school their children. We attended the homeschool graduation for the oldest last May and it was very nice. They had it in a unique lodge--everything is log cabins, but really nice--not what "real" log cabins woud look like. The ceremony was in the main lodge/cabin--two stories, varnished wood. It was a very unique ceremony. Nothing like the enormous graduation ceremony's my daughters had (they graduated from public school). There were only about 8 other kids graduating with my niece--rather than the 1000 that graduated with my daughters.

I agree with everyone else about the blizzards and the meltdows--hoping those give us what we are looking/hoping for!

On vacation with Grandkids and no gym, so yesterday I tried to hit every bodypart by doing what I call my forties. 40 squats, 40 1 leg calf raises, 40 pushups.40 ab wheels, 40 bicep isos and,40 back leg lifts. (can't believe I did those, but hey, guys got glutes too!!! May have to make them fifties by the time vacation is over, and hopefully can find a pullup bar...got to keep up with Nanbo's pull up challenge! Sounds like everyone is pumped about new workout...I will be eager to see your opinions on results. Hope everyone has a great day

Mornin' everyone! It's been a busy last couple of days so I didn't have a chance to check in. Thursday was a strength day so I did chest, shoulders, and biceps via that paper program I was trying out at the beginning of the week. Then yesterday I did Cathe's Live 80's style workout from this week. It was a little bit easier workout, but still a lot of fun. I was definitely covered in sweat by the end. Today's workout is going to be Crossfire. It's been a long time since I've done this workout so I'm looking forward to a good booty kickin'. I'm trying to focus on more cardio-related workouts this weekend so that I can hit the weights hard Monday - Wednesday. I leave this coming Thursday on a business trip that is going to keep me out of town for a little over a week. While I am out of town I am hoping to stay on track as best as I can by bringing some shorter body weight workouts (last month I bought that Mark Lauren DVD and KCM's body weight focused DVD) as well as some hiit cardio workouts with me. I also have Cathe OnDemand. My goal is to try to do something fitness-related every day--even if it's just a short 20-30 min workout. When I come home from this trip, I have just one week before we leave for our vacation. Phew--I would never have planned our vacation this close to such a long work trip, but I had no idea the work trip was even happening until about a month or so ago. It's going to be a whirlwind 3 weeks! It's not ideal timing for my fitness goals, but oh well--there will be a lot of fun had (especially on vacation). And I can always get back into a serious workout rotation when life goes back to normal in 3 weeks. :)

Nathalie--I don't have the exact link to the survey Beachbody sent out. Unfortunately, I didn't receive the survey personally (although I sure wish I did). All I saw was a screenshot of the survey someone had posted on facebook. I'll have to see if I can find that post again. There weren't a whole lot of details other than the program would have 2 phases (one build, one shred), a male instructor leading the build, and a female leading the shred, a focus on working the slow-twitch and fast-twitch muscle fibers, and portion controlled nutrition plan. It wasn't clear if they have even filmed anything yet or if they are just sending the survey out to guage people's interest in this type of program. Everyone is just speculating at this point that this could be a Beast 2 program. I think Beachbody has their next big summit in July so perhaps they will announce something then. Since their next big release is Shaun T's CIZE, the release of another program may still be a ways off.

Jodi--I defnitely LOL'd when I read your comment about TSlop sounding like a rapper's name. :)

Hope everyone has a great Saturday!

This morning I did Power Hour, inspired by Jen. I loved it. It was the most satisfying workout I've done in a few weeks.

Jen, you are so right about variety. I think it's time to tweak my Barre3/KBKB rotation already. Just can't do it. I need some Cathe weights in there and more variety! My motivation has been declining. So... less KB, more Cathe, and then move onto other barre after trying all the Barre3s.

We had 8 home schooled graduates too, plus a few more that didn't participate. But OMGosh 1000 in your daughters' classes?!? I graduated with less than 100, the town we are living in now would have less than 150, and a nearby town only 20. I think my husband's was maybe 200-300. I cannot even comprehend 1000.

Tom, are you getting your grandkids to workout with you? :D Bet they'd have fun with that!

This morning was RwH Upper Body Circuit Premix 5. I also did 3 sets of the frog bridges Nathalie shared on our FB group this week. Pretty awesome exercise! It really isolates the glutes.

tslop49--you can get some awesome workouts with nothing but your bodyweight. There have been books written about it and some great DVDs (Mark Lauren!). You don't need iron to sculpt your body. It's been a while since I've read Mark's books but I am pretty sure he stated he doesn't lift any weights. He has sculpted his body from bodyweight work alone and he is ripped. I love bodyweight work. I always tell myself I am going to do lots of bodyweight workouts on vacations but we wear ourselves out and I just want to crash in the hotel room.

SarBear--it looks like you are finding ways to keep a workout routine while on business and vacation. When I was on business trips (years ago/pre-Cathe--my current job doesn't require me to travel) I always took resistance bands to workout in my hotel room and went to the gym for cardio. But in the past few years I have brought her DVDs like Travel Fit and Slide and Gide with me with plans to use them though I never did. We walk pretty much 12+ hours a day on vacation and not only am I exhausted--but my heels are killing me (I have plates and screws in my heels)--so it never happens. :(

Mary--isn't Power Hour awesome? I cannot believe it has been sitting on my shelf for years, neglected. What a super tough total body workout! I really need to revisit Cathe's older workouts more often. I need to do Maximum Intensity Strength again. Its been a while since I've done that one, too. I remember the first time I did Maximum Intensity Cardio I was astounded at how intense it was. Cathe was beating the @#$&* out of us long before Shaun T appeared!

My daughters graduated from the same high school I did. But 26 years ago (god I am old) my graduating class was about 350. I bought a house in the same neighborhood my parents still live in. It was a new neighborhood when they had their house built--when I was 16 years old! Now it is much older but new neighborhoods have sprung up all around us. Fields that were empty when I was a kid now have Targets, Walmarts, Dicks Sporting Goods, Olive Gardens, Wendy's, etc. Even an outlet mall! The area has exploded over the past 20 years! I was astounded at the size if their graduating class, too--but what really freaked me out is that my youngest daughter graduated valedictorian. In my head I was remembering that when I graduated there were not very many valedictorians at graduation--so I was exceedingly proud of my genius daughter. Then we get to the graduation and there are 18 other valedictorians!!!! I was still proud over her, don't misunderstand, but in a class on 1000 students that small percentage of top students is a much bigger number!

Today I did Hard Strikes, the premix including the Heavy Bag bonus and Core #1. I had forgotten about the sit up/push up combo in this one. When Cathe said we were half way through it, I said a little cuss word and wondered why I had chosen such a long premix. But, I was able to power through the whole thing and loved every minute of it.

SarBear, I'll be in the same boat as you next month. I found out Friday afternoon I have to travel to Texas for work next month. I immediately started thinking about fitting in workouts for that week. Luckily, I'm going with my boss who also likes to get a workout in every day so finding the time shouldn't be a problem. I'll be home for a week after that and then have to travel again for my family reunion. But, like you said, I plan on having lots of fun, and I'll get back on track when it's all over.

Jen, I don't have those older ones from Cathe you mentioned. I think when Total Fitness DVDs has their July 4th sale, those will have to jump into my cart!

Good Evening everyone,

Sorry evening here in Europe. Hope you are all having a good week end. Weather was fantastic so I made the most of
it with some tea out this afternoon.

Tslop49: Blokes/guys do need to work their glute too. It is a lazy muscle for both genders
Us women are disadvantaged enough carrying less testosterone friendly to muscle building:p
We still all need to work it:):). Tom the wheel...Did you refer to the ab wheel? how long
have you been using it. Asking cause I wanted to get one since I am not too keen on crunches.
Then I figured I could substitute gliding disk. It did fire my core.

Make the most of your holidays with your grandkids...Try not work too hard!:)

Jodi: Hardstrike with heavy bag must be fun and challenging. It is rated "intermediately easy" by some cathletes.
I do mainly do it with weighted gloves and find it challenging. What are your thoughts on this.

SarBear: It does not matter if you can not find Beachbody link. At this point I do not think we will find more details about
their upcoming series. I find it quite difficult to find decent clip and reviews on beachbody product. We shall found out
sooner or later from totalfitnessforum posts/threads. Glad you are still managing to plan around your busy life.
Bodyweight workout sound very good. It would be a good variety from what you have focused on recently.

Mary: Well done on power hour, it is a tough workout but really fun.

I remember the first time I did Maximum Intensity Cardio I was astounded at how intense it was. Cathe was beating the @#$&* out of us long before Shaun T appeared!

Sometimes I get these ideas of types of workouts I want to do for a period of time then I do them and all I can think of are the workouts I am not doing. If I am not lifting heavy that is all I want. If I am doing splits I want total body and metabolic/circuit workouts. If I am HIITing it I want more kickboxing.

Jen: I could not agree more on your quote above. That is exactly what I say to people who brag about insanity!!!
Heavy bag tabata must be really tough. As to thinking of workouts you are not doing, May be you just need to
focus to get/gain those cuts:p:p if that would make you happier then try to focus a little bit to earn them.:):)

Today workout was Muscle Max...I felt really accomplished. My lats are a bit sore as I am typing. It is bearable so
it is fine.

Wish you all a good weekend,

Last edited:
This morning I did Barre3 Studio Shape, the longest workout in the set at 60 min. I'm pleased to say that each one I do (I've done 3 so far now) is a little better than the last. The last two in the set is led by a different instructor so I look forward to something maybe a little different?

I'm a little sore from yesterday's Power Hour. I think it's the first Cathe workout I've done with lower body weights since my knee injury. It's probably a good idea to add them in now, maybe once a week or so! :D Actually it just might be a good idea to follow a LB Cathe (DOMS) with a Barre3 for now, haha.

Hello everyone,

Today workout was PRS prmx3 step mix followed by my own Glute Bonus.

Bonus consisted of:

• Standing leg extension with band 3x10
  • Frog pumps 3x10
  • Plie squat with barbell 15kg 3x10
  • Donkey kick 4kg
  • Hip thrust 21kg 50 reps
I planned to do 100 reps hip thrust:p:p:p The first 20 reps were executed on a froggy style:p
That was burning big time and in the end I was just too pooped to execute clean ROM!:D:D

In case you are wondering what I referred to as froggy style, here is the link:

Wish you all a good week,

Last edited:
Today I did Pure Barre Pure Results Feature Focus: Abs. Holy smokes, these Pure Barre folks do not mess around! I think this is the toughest barre workout I've tried so far. Of course, that just makes me want to do it again to try to master it.

Nathalie, I also use my weighted gloves for Hard Strikes. I could see maybe calling the main workout intermediate but certainly not easy. You get out of it what you put in. If you actually are striking hard, it will be a hard workout.

Love Muscle Max! Such a great total body workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.