BodyBugg vs GoWearFit - Please help!!

I just found out about another product called Go Wear Fit, and it's actually made by the same company as Body Bugg, they look alike, but GWF is cheaper, and I can't tell what makes them different.

Does anyone know the differences between the BB and GWF?

Thanks!

I had never heard of GoWearFit before until this post. I did some research and now I have a new GoWearFit is on it's way!!!

Are you still thinking about getting one, Dela?

I had never heard of GoWearFit before until this post. I did some research and now I have a new GoWearFit is on it's way!!!

Are you still thinking about getting one, Dela?

Well, funny you asked. I'm super frustrated today, I just can't lose weight, I really am busting my butt working out (STS plus 4 hours of cardio a week), and I eat pretty well, I guess just too much, so I'm thinking the accountability of this will be perfect for me. AND I just looked at their site again today, and they have added in the ability to track daily calories if you want to, and the unit plus the extra display is only $250, so long story (not so short), yes, I'm buying one today!

ETA: I just bought it on Amazon! I got the arm band and the watch display. It's about $10 cheaper on Amazon than the company website, free shipping is available, but I paid the 5.53 to ensure it arrives in 4 business days, and you get 3 months of the online subscription for free on Amazon. I really hope this is the thing I need to start losing weight. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Well, funny you asked. I'm super frustrated today, I just can't lose weight, I really am busting my butt working out (STS plus 4 hours of cardio a week), and I eat pretty well, I guess just too much, so I'm thinking the accountability of this will be perfect for me. AND I just looked at their site again today, and they have added in the ability to track daily calories if you want to, and the unit plus the extra display is only $250, so long story (not so short), yes, I'm buying one today!

ETA: I just bought it on Amazon! I got the arm band and the watch display. It's about $10 cheaper on Amazon than the company website, free shipping is available, but I paid the 5.53 to ensure it arrives in 4 business days, and you get 3 months of the online subscription for free on Amazon. I really hope this is the thing I need to start losing weight. Fingers crossed.

Dela,

I feel the same way you do. I'm so frustrated trying to figure out where I should be to lose weight. I've tried every formula for calculating my calorie range and I come up with such a varied range. I eat well and workout hard too but it just isn't budging. I'm really hoping this is the tool I need to get me where I need to go.

I'm super happy that they added in the calorie tracking. It looks like that was the only component missing in comparison with the BodyBugg. Let me know what you think of yours when you get it. Mine is being delivered on Monday. I can't wait to try it out!

Good luck!

Just got the notification now that mine shipped, I'm supposed to get it no later than Thursday, but it's usps which is always slower than ups. I read somewhere that the arm band gets pretty soaked when you workout, so I'm looking into buying an extra band, the gowearfit site has them for $9 but the shipping is also $9, that annoys me, I mean the thing only weighs a few ounces, and no one else is selling them.

I'll definitely post back with my experiences, can't wait!

Same story here. Workout hard, eat OK, but just did not lose much. After I read this thread, I went to Amazon bought GoWear Fit and its display unit. I need that for motivation purpose. I should be getting it this weekend. I am so excited about it.

I started STS Feb 1. So far, I only lost 4lbs. But good news is yesterday, I measured my waist and hips, I lost 2 inches in my hip and 2.5 inches in my waist. Now it made me feel a little better. It made me want to track all the numbers, like neck, biceps, calf, thigh, body fat, etc. I also went to Costco bought a Health O Meter to track my body fat. I can't wait for my GWF. Hopefully, all these tools will bring my fitness/weight lost journey to a new level.

Thank you guys for all your information.

Wow, that lady spent a lot of time detailing her new GoWearFit. There's tons of information there. Thanks for sharing!

Glad it was useful.

Re: your earlier post about the calorie range. There is a huge range indeed, even the (detailed) calculators by John Berardi on his two different webpages give numbers that differ by more than 100. I asked on the Precision Nutrition forum about it, and his response was that calorie calculators are guidelines, tracking your own results are the best.

Since then I added a new column to my Excel file that keep tracks of things like my weight, body fat, calories intake. This new column calculates the average amount of calories I must have spent in the last 28 days that would best explain the body fat level I have now taking into account the body fat I started with 28 days ago, and the calorie intake since then. So far I had been happy with this way of tracking things which seems pretty accurate. I love numbers and crunching them, so I understand this is not the ideal method for everyone.

Same story here. Workout hard, eat OK, but just did not lose much. After I read this thread, I went to Amazon bought GoWear Fit and its display unit. I need that for motivation purpose. I should be getting it this weekend. I am so excited about it.

I kind of wish I had that Amazon Prime right about now :p.

I can't wait to hear both of your first impressions!

I started STS Feb 1. So far, I only lost 4lbs. But good news is yesterday, I measured my waist and hips, I lost 2 inches in my hip and 2.5 inches in my waist. Now it made me feel a little better. It made me want to track all the numbers, like neck, biceps, calf, thigh, body fat, etc. I also went to Costco bought a Health O Meter to track my body fat. I can't wait for my GWF. Hopefully, all these tools will bring my fitness/weight lost journey to a new level.

Thank you guys for all your information.

This forum is so bad for my pocketbook. All someone has to do is mention a new gadget/item on here and the next thing I know I’m shelling out the dough for it. :=)

It is so hard to let the number on the scale go. I know I need to go by the inches I’ve lost or how my clothes are fitting but its soooooo hard!

From the other posts I’ve read between the BodyBugg/GoWearFit, many people have lost weight the first week after struggling for a long time to get the scale to budge. It sounds promising and I hope it delivers.

Glad it was useful.

Re: your earlier post about the calorie range. There is a huge range indeed, even the (detailed) calculators by John Berardi on his two different webpages give numbers that differ by more than 100. I asked on the Precision Nutrition forum about it, and his response was that calorie calculators are guidelines, tracking your own results are the best.

Since then I added a new column to my Excel file that keep tracks of things like my weight, body fat, calories intake. This new column calculates the average amount of calories I must have spent in the last 28 days that would best explain the body fat level I have now taking into account the body fat I started with 28 days ago, and the calorie intake since then. So far I had been happy with this way of tracking things which seems pretty accurate. I love numbers and crunching them, so I understand this is not the ideal method for everyone.

You're not the only number cruncher. I have my own Excel spreadsheet where I keep track of my food, weight, etc. It's almost an addiction for me.

I am SO trying to resist ordering one of these. I love to know numbers- my max HR, VO2max, BF%, calories burned, you name it, I like to be informed! Anyway, this might help me realize how much I really truly need to eat- I was a Weight Watchers girl for years and now understand that I need to eat more than 1300 calories a day (especially working out with Cathe), but not 3000 (mostly chocolate) calories either. Oh, resisting! I bet I cave by tomorrow.

Please post what you think of your new purchases so I can have gadget envy!

Got mine last night, going to work-out and then upload while I shower. This is an interesting devise. How accurate do you think this is?(I have the GoWearFit)

I've been using my GoWearFit (band plus display) for about a week now, and thought perhaps some of you might be interested in how it compares to a Polar 55?

This is a rather long post ...

I'm a gadget-collector, and I love analyzing real data; being a techie scientist by day, perhaps that's not surprising :) I find that my three main gadgets: pedometer, Polar 55, and my GoWearFit all help me in different ways.

The Polar 55 is a typical HRM - chest band (pretty comfortable), and a wrist band. You need to wear both. The GoWearFit can be bought as just an arm band/sensor, and you can invest in a wrist display. I sometimes wear it with just the sensor, and sometimes put the wrist display on too. If you set the wrist display near you while you work out, it will still pick up readings; also, you can quickly re-synchronize display and armband without losing data.

For heavy exercise periods when I'm watching my HR, especially Cardio Coach, IMAXx, HIIT types of things, I'm finding I prefer the Polar 55. It is easier for me to track my intensity levels with the more rapid updating of HR that the Polar gives, and that makes it easier to adjust. The Polar appears to subtract out the estimated BMR, and the GoWearFit appears not to - I'm not sure of this, but when I wore both devices at once I found I'd get readings within say ten percent of one another as long as I made that correction. I have not confirmed this so you'd want to check it out :)

For long term wearing, the armband is very comfortable, and normally I don't like gadgets on my arm. I like the convenience of being able to leave the display off during a workout. That's especially nice for STS; I was always bumping my polar when doing the quick change of wrist weights! I left the armband with the sensor on for almost seven days straight, except to shower and when visiting facilities that don't let me use a wireless devices, and it was never an issue. The band fits very neatly under a loose long sleeve shirt, but is definitely visible if you wear a tight one. It's not big but noticeable. I wear suit jackets most of the time, and that hid it just fine. In that sense, a pedometer is better, because you can stick it in your pocket.

I really like being able to watch my calorie burn during the day, and I use the Trip function quite a bit. You start a Trip on the displayband the same way you start one for your car - by pressing the button til it clears. I used it to watch specific exercise sessions. Also, and even more useful, I used it to see how active I really am during the workday and on the weekend. I was really shocked to find that when I'm working in one particular facility, I'm burning 500 *fewer* calories then when I'm working from my home office. I thought it would be the other way around! I've begun to use it to see whether I can increase my overall activity during similar kinds of work days. I know, very very geeky :)

While I prefered the Polar for realy HIIT cardio like CardioCoach, I have to admit it was a tooss up for kickbox style and bootcamp workouts. What I liked about GoWearFit for these is that you can easily see how many minutes you spend in the vigorous category versus the moderate exercise category. You have the choice as to how to make the cutoff, too: I went with the typical 3-6 mets moderate, and 6+ mets vigorous. It was surprising to me that in some cases I wasn't working quite as much in the vigorous category as I thought; the difference was too subtle to show up in the overall calorie burn. I also loved being able to see the graph of the workout, which you get through the online account. You get spikes that show essentially minute by minute what your met rate is. I learned that I am working at a higher met rate for the first half of STS Legs than I am for the second. I guess I'm getting tired and slowing down a little ...

I really am getting a kick out of all of the online features, even though I'm normally opposed to buying gadgets that lean on a subscription. But it's an eye-opener to watch the met changes, and I'm also surprised by the sleep monitoring section. It may even be helpful in getting a handle on my insomnia ... I can already see regular patterns of waking up, and it's always been easier for me to work on issues when I have some method of measuring. The sleep efficiency part of the online analysis could be exactly what I need.

The pedometer is an ok compromise. Sometimes I am not allowed to carry an unapproved wireless gadget into a facility, and I never did like wearing a HRM strap for more than an hour or two anyway; a pedometer can be popped in a purse or a pocket. Sometimes I forget it is in the pocket ... that's been a problem ... but still, seeing the step count go up is enjoyable and it often coaxes me into doing just a little extra walking around the house, or makes a cleaning chore seem more fun because I'm 'earning' steps towards my 10k/day goal. The pedometer display isn't as visually interesting as the gowearfit graph of steps, though.

One other thing that might be interesting: I was not able to recharge my GoWearFit from midday Monday to evening Friday, but it didn't lose any data and stayed on just fine. That was terrific! I am so loaded with gadget chargers that it's a pleasure to leave one at home for a change. Even my cell phone can't go this long.

Gadgets are what you make of them; but I do love experimenting and I personally am happy with GoWearFit and my polar, and will continue to use them. The pedometer is increasingly being left behind. If I had to pick one, it would probably be the Polar 55 (since it does not require a subscription), and because I am not trying to lose weight (am maintaining). The GoWearFit is a very close second now, and I might give it the nod if I were actively trying to lose weight because you can wear it all day long and analyze your activity patterns so easily.

Now don't get me started on my Nike sensor :)

Hope this was helpful - my apologies for such a long post, but I did warn you up front :)

Last edited:
You're not the only number cruncher. I have my own Excel spreadsheet where I keep track of my food, weight, etc. It's almost an addiction for me.

FitnessBunny,
If it is possible, can you e-mail me your food tracking spreadsheet. I tried all different once, I could not stick with any of them as of yet. I even bought fitday software. It is not that freeform for me in any of these software.

BTW, I know your feeling. Every time something new coming out and someone discussed here, I had to get my credit card ready.;) But you guys are so knowlegable. I won't exhange anything for it. Thank you guys.

Thanks

ShadowPup,

Thank you for your detail updating. I have Polar F4. I did realize that it can only measure well when I am doing TM, Elliptical and biking. I was wondering how GWF will replace Polar. Your post is just right in time.

I used Polar F4 only to track how many calories burnt. I did not go by HRM % since it always high. As soon as I started to run in TM like this AM, my HRM % already in 65%. Then quickly proceded to between 89 - 97%. I am kind of puzzle about it. That is why I started to question Polar F4's accuracy of calory burnt. When I am indoor, I like to use itread run since it goes by level. Then I can adjust it based on my own ability. I like Cardio Coach, he has such a nice, deep, calm voice. But if I go with his %, I don't feel work out hard enough. But for outdoor, I would prefere Cardio Coach.

From your post, it seemed like while doing TM run, GWF will not response as fast as polar? But after you finish workout, you should be able to find out from the display, am I right? I did not have mine (GWF) yet. I think I might get it Monday.

I really like the fact you mentioned that you don't need to wear display, just keep it close. It will still sense the data. i also love the fact that you don't need to charge batter for about a week. My question is when you go for 1 week not charge, how long does it take to get it fully charged? I am thinking when you charge it, you have to take it off your arm and it will stop reading your body data, right? If so, normally when do you schedule your recharge?

Thanks

Thanks for the info and reviews everyone! Most of all, thanks for the enabling. :) I just ordered and can't wait to give this a shot- I'm really curious how close my daily calories burned estimate is to my actual. In a dream world, I am actually not eating enough. :eek: HA!

You don't have to have the display registering at all if you don't want. It will sync back up when close and tell you the information.

As far as when to recharge, someone on VF said they do it while showering and getting ready in the morning. That seems to be a good time, except I don't get ready for an hour, I am very low maintenance and am out of the house in about 30. So I may do it in the evening. Besides, I want to see if there is an afterburn after exercise, which I do in the morning.

Thanks for the info and reviews everyone! Most of all, thanks for the enabling. :) I just ordered and can't wait to give this a shot- I'm really curious how close my daily calories burned estimate is to my actual. In a dream world, I am actually not eating enough. :eek: HA!

Another one bites the dust...heehee!

I know, I would love it if my GoWearFit told me I was under eating. When do you get yours?

Shadowpup – thanks for an amazing overview. I also have a Polar and plan on using it in conjunction with my GoWearFit.

Hmmm…I just thought of something. You were mentioning the wireless piece of the GoWearFit and that you can’t use it in certain buildings of your work. It makes me wonder whether or not you can use this going through airport security or on an airplane. I travel quite a bit and I know that you can’t have anything that transmits data while you’re flying. Is there anyway to turn off the device?

Dorothyrd – When I was reading the GoWearFit website they had done some studies where they compared it with an oxygen analyzer, which is supposed to be the “thing” for measuring how many calories a person burns. They said the GoWearFit had a mean error of less than 10% for free living activities like watching a baseball game, grocery shopping, etc and less than a 5% mean error for exercise. So it sounds like it is pretty accurate compared to the high end piece of equipment they used to measure calorie burn.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.