BlockBuster vs. Netflix

Fitness-Mom

Cathlete
I was curious to see if anyone uses Blockbuster online vs. Netflix... I used to have Netflix and cancelled, but thinking of joining again.
I like the idea you can exchange within the store w/ Blockbuster. but does Blockbuster.com, have a good selection like Netflix does on-line?

Any thoughts?
TIA~

"Today is a Gift, Have Fun"

~Jennifer~

050510_10014282379.gif

Hey I often check out exercise vidoes from Blockbuster online, just to see if I like the instructor/workouts. I don't think they have Cathe...yet.

I used to have Netflix but they kept sending the wrong DVDs so I canceled them. Now Netflix has something where you can order a movie online and watch the movie online with in minutes so you do not have to wait.I may try that.

I think you get more for your money with Blockbuster. I have the one at a time plan and usually have two videos--one I got from the store for free and the one they sent in the mail. Also, as I'm sure you are aware, Netflix 'throttles' and Blockbuster has a policy that they don't. I cancelled my Netflix a few years ago because of the throttling and I've had Blockbuster for a little over the year and couldn't be happier.

I love Netflix and I've never had a problem. I chose Netflix over Blockbuster because they have a larger selection of independent and foreign films.

>What is throttling?

'Throttling' means Netflix customers who pay the same price for the same service are often treated differently, depending on their rental patterns. Netflix openly admits(after a lawsuit) that they sort of 'reward' customers who rent fewer videos. If you are a frequent renter(meaning, that you have a quick turnaround on watching and sending back DVDs which results in you receiving a lot of videos each month) they sort of push you to the bottom of the pile. You get passed over for your number one choice, etc. You can google "Netflix throttling" and find out all about the lawsuit. And, like I said, they openly admit to this in the terms of their service now. HTH

>...Netflix openly admits(after a
>lawsuit) that they sort of 'reward' customers who rent fewer
>videos. If you are a frequent renter(meaning, that you have a
>quick turnaround on watching and sending back DVDs which
>results in you receiving a lot of videos each month) they sort
>of push you to the bottom of the pile. You get passed over for
>your number one choice, etc. You can google "Netflix
>throttling" and find out all about the lawsuit. And, like I
>said, they openly admit to this in the terms of their service
>now. HTH

I use Netflix & have the 3 at a time program. I have never experienced problems with "throttling" & think I would be considered a "frequent renter." We get 3 DVDs on Friday, watch all 3 over the weekend, put all 3 back in the mail on Monday, & recieve 3 more on Friday again.

I <3 NETLFIX!

I had Netflix too and I did experience throttling. I don't know that 'only' getting 3 a week is a frequent user--that's only 12 a month--in terms of the classification for the lawsuit. And, like I said, they openly admit to doing this. It's right in the terms of service agreement--it's not based on my opinion.

We're a Blockbuster OnLine family too.. works out well and we have very quick turnaround on movies once we send them back.

The only issue I have is that I have received several scratched DVDs..drives me crazy. Not sure if anybody experiences that with either service.

Take care, Lyn M.

I have Netflix and have never tried BB online. The whole reason that I started with Netflix was because I couldn't stand BB so as a matter of principle there's no way I am trying BB. Also, I am the type of person that would never use the in store BB service. I really just like the convenience of throwing stuff in the mailbox and can't be bothered with going to the BB store.

People that I know have experienced throttling with Netflix, but I haven't personally. I feel that Netflix's selection is very good and I rarely have to wait for movies.

Karin

I go through Netflix. I have had bad experiences with Blockbuster in the store (bad customer service) and they never had the DVD I wanted. I am signed up for four at a time through Netflix and I feel like they do a great job with turn around time and a huge selection.

Have any of you Blockbuster fans had any problems with their selection, as far as older or foreign films? I know back before Netflix existed and I had to go to Blockbuster that their selection in the stores consisted of any major movie from the last 20 or so years, and that was about it. I would assume their online catalog would be much larger, but I'm still skeptical. Still, that return-to-the-store policy sounds enticing.

I like the off-the-beaten-path titles, also. I'm old enough to remember the way all sorts of mom-and-pop places used to rent movies for $1, with no late feels. Then Blockbuster came into being and pushed all the independent video stores out of business, instituting heretofore unheard of outrageous fees and penalties. Blockbuster represents a real step backwards, to my mind. I wouldn't give Those People a dime. But I love Netflix. They've never not had what I want and, being a postal employee, they're one of our biggest customers --- for now. In our facility, those little red envelopes are everywhere. And they knock themselves out to make sure I get my movies fast. They always email me to ask when I received my dvd's. I'm really surprised to hear anything negative about them.

Okay, I know I'm a little late on this one, but... :)

We have had Netflix for a long time and we get 3 movies a week and we never get our first choices anymore. The new releases are always out so we always get the crappy ones. DH LOVES to get movies so he'll watch scary "B" movies (and I'll read or knit or something) because all of the good ones have "Long Wait" listed. Since he was gone for 10 weeks we're behind now, so we're going to get all caught up and then switch to Blockbuster. I even e-mailed customer service and never got a response. I guess we've been victims of throttling. Who knew?

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.