Birthday turned to a sad day

firemedic

Cathlete
Well, today is my birthday, turned 40. Everything started out great and then by the evening, I had to put my most loved dog down. She's been ill and the meds to be working at first, but then her heart gave out, she's just over 14 yrs old. I hate to put this on here because I don't want anyone to think I'm looking for pitty but I don't have any family (except grandparents about 30 miles away) and no friends locally. Even my husband is doing a 48 hour shift at his job. I just sometimes find comfort when I'm having a bad day reading different things from my fellow Cathletes. And today is just a very bad day for me and I'm sure tomorrow will be to since I'll be home alone for another 24 hrs. I do have 2 other wonderful dogs but I feel bad for them because they keep looking for Shadow. So I'm sorry to be writing all this but I just need to do something and I thought if I just wrote about her maybe that would help. I don't know but to anyone who reads this, thanks for listening.

Kim

Last edited:
((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))). Please know I will be thinking of you. I can only imagine how sad it is to lose a beloved pet after 14 years. I hope you can at least call your friends and family for support. I am sending you healing vibes.

Oh Kim I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a similar situation in June with my 18year old cat. Two days after my 40th birthday I had to take her to the vet to be euthanized. But I had the day off with her on my birthday and before I took her to the vet I made sure she had the best day ever. We went outside and she walked in the grass, she had her favorites to eat, canned tuna and then ice cream. They sure give us all the love they can and I appreciated having her in my life. I know you're in a lot of pain right now but with time it will subside and you'll think about all the good times you guys had and smile. I'm sending you a big hug.
Amy

What a sad day for you. So sorry for the loss of your dog, such a tough thing to go through.
{{{{{hugs}}}}}
Sherry

I'm so sorry this happened on your birthday! Sounds like she was a wonderful dog and a great friend to you. If you celebrate your birthday this year, maybe make it a celebration of her life too.

Stebby

The loss of a dear family member cuts deep. They affect us in a way no other can. Take comfort in knowing the wonderful life you gave her and the great empathy you showed her on your birthday. She loves you always. Hugs and prayers for you and your 2 other dogs. They surely are grieving too. I'm so sorry.

Kim, I am so sorry for your loss. I understand your pain and am sending thoughts and prayers to you.

Judy

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you came here to seek comfort. We don't know each other, but we are supportive and do care. (((hugs)))

It's so hard to lose a four legged family member!!! I hope you can find some joy in your two dogs. {{{hugs}}}

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. I had my 14 year old German pointer put down a few weeks ago, and, although it's getting easier, I still get utterly sad at times.
Take your other dogs on a fabulous long walk. You'll all benefit. Xxxx

Hi Kim:

so sorry you lost your pal. Sucks big. Irrespective of birthday. And I totally understand the need to reach out for comfort, even to cyber friends. Some days, you just get overwhelmed and need to not be alone because it all feels too much. I had a day like that today also, so I commiserate.

Big hugs to you: how lucky that you got to have such a brilliant dog to love and care for for all this time. It's a gift really. And turning 40: also totally OK!!!!!! Welcome to the decade of the 40s, you rock!

Clare

My aunt gave me a book that has daily meditations for dealing with grief (after my big brother passed away in November :().... this is one of my favorite passages:

"Nothing can fill the gap when we are away from those we love, and it would be wrong to try and find anything. We must simply hold out and win through. That sounds hard at first, but at the same time it is a great consolation, since leaving the gap unfilled preserves the bond between us. It is nonsense to say that God fills the gap; he does not fill it, but keeps it empty so that our communion with another may be kept alive, even at the cost of pain." ~Dietrich Bonhoeffer

There will always be a space in your heart that belongs to Shadow.

Kim -

I am really sorry for your loss; Shadow will be sorely missed. Hugs from all of us here.

-Stephanie

((((Kim)))) I am so sorry for your loss. I know how it feels to lose a pet, I lost a cat a few years ago to kidney cancer and I still see him in my dreams. My black lab mix also died of a heart condition a few years ago and left my other dog lonely, when I take him out for a walk and he sees any big black dogs he tries to chase them thinking of Tyson. It's sad, but unfortunately part of life. Last year my 35th birthday was the worst of my life, it broke records on how bad it was. I had a few days off and instead of going out and enjoying them, a lot of bad things happened and I just isolated myself from everybody, disappeared from view, and was not answering any phone calls, emails, etc. After that break I felt better and I really am grateful I was able to live one more year on this Earth even with the sucky moments. We cannot be destroyed by those events we cannot control. We need to rise above them and learn new life lessons. Without those bad moments we would never gain life experience, if we were happy all the time we would get stuck, happy moments are enjoyable, but sad moments make us grow. I hope you feel better soon.

My heart goes out to you. My children are grown and gone, my Goldens have become my boys. Difficult to imagine life without them. Big hug to you. Take care.

Oh Kim, so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my sweet 13-yr-old baby back in May to a stroke, and it still hurts. Sending big hugs to you. Give your other pets some extra attention...I know that has helped me a lot.

A huge HUG for you Kim. I totally understand how you feel (been there myself and I still miss my kitty, Basha) and my most deepest sympathies to you for your loss. Your dog was so fortunate to have you as his mommy, he lived a wonderful life thanks to you. You will be sad for a while so, I send you more HUGS.

I want to thank all of you for your kind and comforting words. So I spent most of today taking my other 2 dogs to the beach. We use to go a lot until Shadow started getting sick. So I thought that would make them and me feel better and keep them busy. Then we took a trip to my grandparents and broke the news to them. I guess I'm taking this hard also because my husband gave her to me a month after we got married when we bought our house. I knew nothing about it until the day we moved in and she was in the back yard waiting. So just trying to keep me and my other girls busy because once we got home, they keep looking around for her. Hopefully things will get back to normal soon. So once again, I want to thank all of you from my heart for all the kind words and related stories. Sometimes life sucks so its nice to know that even total strangers have kind words to say.

Kim

I know how you are feeling. I had to put my beloved fur baby down too. It was awhile ago and me reading your post brings tears to my eyes because I know what you are going through and I still have memories of her. She was the best doggie I've ever had in my life. And I'm old, so she was very special to me.

So sorry for your loss.

Hugs through cyberspace,

Janie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.