Best way to test BF% at home

angie_mitchell

Cathlete
How do you do it? We have a omron scale and an omron fat loss monitor and they give us VERY different results. It's confusing. I would really like to get an accurate idea. How do you measure yours? My weight is relatively low - I don't know how much weight I will lose but think I have a lot of bf to lose!

Thanks!
angie

I have a pair of Lange Skinfold Calipers. I had to be trained to use them. Luckily, I took a degree in Fitness Science and we learned there. They can be pretty accurate if you use them correctly. Other than that, I would think any at home method would be just an approximation.

BTW, the skinfold calipers are just that, they take a measurement of the pinch of fat under the skin. The best way is to take readings in 3 different spots, add them together, then go to the manual and follow the instructions. You should do it 3 times and take the average while you're learning. The calipers come with a small manual and give you instructions.

If you want real accuracy though, underwater weighing is the best, but again, you need to find someone who knows how to do it! If you're interested in a more accurate reading, at least initially and live near a university or college, you might want to call them and see if they have students who need to practice and they would probably do it for free.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Lange Skinfold Calipers. I had to be trained to use them. Luckily, I took a degree in Fitness Science and we learned there. They can be pretty accurate if you use them correctly. Other than that, I would think any at home method would be just an approximation.

BTW, the skinfold calipers are just that, they take a measurement of the pinch of fat under the skin. The best way is to take readings in 3 different spots, add them together, then go to the manual and follow the instructions. You should do it 3 times and take the average while you're learning. The calipers come with a small manual and give you instructions.

If you want real accuracy though, underwater weighing is the best, but again, you need to find someone who knows how to do it! If you're interested in a more accurate reading, at least initially and live near a university or college, you might want to call them and see if they have students who need to practice and they would probably do it for free.

Tricia, I have calipers too, but I have a problem. My problem is I cannot see the stupid numbers from where I'm measuring! :confused: They're so small, & when you're measuring under your arm or your inner thigh, the measurements are just impossible to see. Do you do it yourself? If so, HOW?

Tricia, I have calipers too, but I have a problem. My problem is I cannot see the stupid numbers from where I'm measuring! :confused: They're so small, & when you're measuring under your arm or your inner thigh, the measurements are just impossible to see. Do you do it yourself? If so, HOW?

I have trained my DH to use them! They are impossible to use yourself as you need to keep your weight off of the leg when you do the quad measurement and, unless you're a contortionist ;), you can't get the tricep measurement. That does create a problem for those who don't have someone to take the measurements for them. Is there someone you can teach it to?

I have a Tanita scale that reads body fat and water percentages. I don't know how accurate it is for weighing your actual body fat, but it definitely can tell you if you're getting more of it (or less) - so it's perfect for me. I have tried calipers and found them very difficult to use.

I'd say that if you are trying to lose body fat, then it doesn't matter if the starting number is right or not -- it just matters if it goes down.

I have a tanita scale (which reads high in the morning, lower at night) and I have an Accumeasure caliper. It clicks into place when you use it so once you pull it away from your skin you still can read where it ended up. Not sure how accurate it is, but it is consistant. I think I bought it at GNC for around $20.

Thanks so much! It will be a while before I get them since I'm in France and have to have my mom bring them on her next trip but we'll figure it out!

I have trained my DH to use them! They are impossible to use yourself as you need to keep your weight off of the leg when you do the quad measurement and, unless you're a contortionist ;), you can't get the tricep measurement. That does create a problem for those who don't have someone to take the measurements for them. Is there someone you can teach it to?

<sigh> if only my pug had opposable thumbs! :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.