best leg workout for hamstrings???

delfin

Cathlete
Which Cathe w/o do you think is the best all-around for legs, and especially hamstrings? Sometimes I've got trouble feeling w/o's in that area. Thanks!

i like the ball work in PLB b/c it hits the entire leg at once,especially the hamstrings with all the balancing. i think gym style legs as a similar routine on the ball but i think somebody that has that workout can correct me on that.

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

I agree, for one of the functions of the hamstrings (bending the knee), there's not much (at least in a home environment) that can beat hamstring work on the stability ball. And it's easy to increase the intensity by adding roll-ins and by raising one leg, or even holding weights on the hips (if you ever get to the point where doing the one-legged version becomes "easy"!)

For the second function of the hamstrings (helping to raise the body from a bent-over position to straight), deadlifts are excellent.

Step-ups also work the hamstrings nicely.

PLB includes all three of these exercises, so I would have to consider it the best hamstring workout of Cathe's (unless I'm forgetting another one that combines all three of these).

Kathryn,
you must have some great looking hamstrings. I am following your advice and I have noticed that those stability ball roll outs are killers.

>Kathryn,
>you must have some great looking hamstrings. I am following
>your advice and I have noticed that those stability ball roll
>outs are killers.

I finally started to SEE my hamstrings in the past year or so! Before that, they weren't too noticeable (not that Karen Voight or Cathe have any competition to worry about from me! I can tell by feel that they are stronger and firmer, but not much bigger)

I like Legs and Glutes, especially the work with ankle weights. PLB, like others have said is excellent, and the floor work on Gymstyle Legs. The standing portion of gymstyle legs-- the deadlifts, are great for hamstrings, IMO. I try to do the floorwork on one of these tapes at least once a week and I have noticed a big change in strength and flexibility.

:) :)
Barb

I agree with all of that. PLB is probably the best for hamstrings, but I wanted to say that PS Legs, because I use much heavier weight, and it has that hamstring work at the end, actually creates more DOMS in my hamstrings than any other.

LL is the "winner" for quad soreness. I just did it yesterday with a 45 lb barbell for the first time. Ouch!

>>>>>>I finally started to SEE my hamstrings in the past year or so! Before that, they weren't too noticeable (not that Karen Voight or Cathe have any competition to worry about from me! I can tell by feel that they are stronger and firmer, but not much bigger)

Kathryn >^. .^< <<<<<<<

I don't like my rear view. Hamstrings are FLAT!!!! ...even from the side view too!x(
...gotta get PLB!;)

GS legs floorwork. Deadlifts with heaviest bar you can manage before form is affected. Running and race walking. I do all these and have very well defined ham strings. No more development needed, thanks!

Clare

I really felt my hamstrings the first time I did GS Legs. And I believe it was the standing portion that did it for me. I agree with others who say the stability ball work in both GS Legs and PLB is great for the hamstrings, too. For me, leg work using the stability ball is always challenging. (Ok, I can almost say I hate it!!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.